Fuel additive

Owenfamily

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious to see how many of you use some type of fuel additive with your diesel. Do you use it at every fill up? I myself use
Stanadyne as it is cheap insurance to ensure you are doing what you can to protect your investment.

David

GOTTOYS

Chrysler recommends that I don't use any additives. I go along with their recommendations and have had no problems...Don

Speedy

I have been using KleanDiesel for anti-gel during the winter. Not much need in the summer with quaility purchased diesel.

I use the Ford fuel additive as per the Ford Owners Manual.
4oz per 25 Gallons of fuel.
The new Ford Diesel requires it for the High Pressure Fuel Pump.
There have been reports of HPFP failures due to the low Lubricity of US fuel.
There have been postings on this site about this problem
The old saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Hockster

=======================================================================================================================================

MTPockets

I use the Ford additive with every fill... The 2012 manual doesn't say you must/have to use it, but gives the info if you 'want' to use it... so, I do.

pegmikef

During all the discussion about fuel pump failures some months ago, someone put up a Ford Bulletin that strongly recommended the use of the additive. Some dealers were having buyers sign a form that they had read it . . . I have used it ever since I read that and I have never had a problem (but I only have 20 k miles on my vehicle).

brianharrison

I do not use it in Canada, but do add some when I am in the US - the fuel specs for diesel are a bit different if you are north or south of our border. Lubricity being one.

Brian

Bksvo

I used the Ford additive in my 6.4L. It runs noticably smoother with it, and I believe it improves my mileage by 5%. It costs less than $2 a fill up.

caissiel

In my 6.0 and all previous diesels I use 2 cycle oil if the fuel has no power to it. Believe me I can feel it for different fuel fills. The oil brings back bad fuel to proper power factor. I have my product here in Canada that I need to use it and also when I travel in the States.

The fuel mileage on bad fuel could be as bad as a lost of 2 MPG. And the 2 cycle oil picks it right up if I pour it on top of my tanks, it don't works as well if I pour it before fueling.

Owenfamily

Thank you for the replies so far. I can't beleive the people either don't use it or don't know there suppose to use it. It will not cause problems right away but will help you in the longer run if you use it from what I have read and researched. The guy I buy mine from said he works on Dodge, Ford then Chevy far as injectors. This is all they do is diesel fuel injectors day in and day out.

Tombstonejim

I have an 06 F250 power stroke. It has never had 1 oz of additive, never been to a dealer and never had a wrench turned on it except for filters and lubes.

My opinion snake oil.

lwmcguir

I have an 06 F250 power stroke. It has never had 1 oz of additive, never been to a dealer and never had a wrench turned on it except for filters and lubes.

My opinion snake oil.
Actually "Snake Oil" is just like medicine. Many polymers/dispersants/anti-gelling/cloud dispersants and so on are used in almost every manufactured/produced/refined product you purchase. Many of the them are critical to maintain production quality and engineering limits. However all products should be based on their merit as proven in use and not by any advertising claims.

Kwalt

All new diesels are designed to run on the ultra low sulfer, with that said I do use an additive. There was a post on one of the diesel forums with testing on lubricity of different additives, including two stroke oil. Some of the common brands actually reduced the fuels lubricity. One of the best in testing was Opti-Lube. It calls for 1 ounce per 10 gallons. I know with the new Fords they are blaming pump failures on water.

lwmcguir

The lubricity test that are on line are very old. I haven't seen a new one for years. If anyone has I would like to see a link to it. Bio Diesel does help and we run a lot of it in the farm/ranch equipment. I think if you have anyone of the new Diesels you should use the additive just in case.