Fuel Additives

Peteandsharon

Guys,

We've had a lot of talk on these forums about additives for diesel trucks. A lot of you use Ford of Chevy specific additives that are sold and recommended by the dealers. However, I was brought into the diesel world as far back as 1990 by my father in law and he always swore by Power Service. He got me going in that direction and since then I also use Diesel Kleene. So my question is this: With the changes that have occurred over time with diesel technology do you know of any reason why I should not be using these off the shelf products any more? Its just that these particular products are not mentioned as often while discussing additives and I was wondering if there was something I was missing. I drive an '08 F250.

Thanks,

Pete

57chevyconvt

I have used the Opti-Lube Summer Blend for the last few years. I hope it is doing the job according to the study done by South Research Laboratory. Its rating was no. 4 on the list and the least expensive per gallon of treatment. I buy the additive direct from Opti-Lube, somewhere near Salt Lake City, for about $52 per gallon.

Eddhuy

I have spoken with 7 diesel mechanics from 3 different shops that I would trust doing work on my engine and they all told me the same thing. My 2013 6.7l engine does not need an additive. The Ford truck shop said not to put in an additive in while some others said only if you know the fuel is bad.

Lynn1130

And the diesel mechanics at my shop plus most of those specializing in diesel on the duramax site say, there is little to no lube in the fuel we now use and these engines need that lube so add something to help.

I have heard some say they have 200K miles with no lube and have no problems but at a few cents per gallon of fuel, I will keep adding to mine. Additive discussions are like which truck is best Ford, Chevy or Dodge. It is in the eye of the beholder.

The study I posted pretty much lays it out in the "History" section.

And how do you know when the fuel is "bad"?

scottyb

Back in the early 80's, the 6.9L pre Powerstroke Ford's were bad about the injector pump gumming up. They would sputter at high RPM's and put out puffs of smoke. Berryman's was the go to additive that seemed to help them. I can honestly say that I never used any fuel additives in any of my 7.3L PS's nor the Duramax I just sold. However, I am using Ford's OEM cetane booster now as a preventative. A preventative for warranty claims in the event that I have any fuel system issues. I can point to my track record of purchasing and using their additive if it's determined that bad fuel was the cause. I hope it's never an issue, but for the few cents / gallon, it's worth the piece of mind. I am using it in my wifes F250, my F350, and the company's F550.

JanAndBill

I wasn't using additive or planning on it, till a tank full of poor quality fuel forced me into it. Went with Ford PM 22A. Not only did my fuel mileage come back up to normal, but in a 1,000 mile test it actually average just over 1 mpg better than my previous average. If my math is right that translates into roughly $28 saved in diesel fuel vs $6.00 in additive. It also made the engine pull better. Think I'll stay with it for awhile.

Eddhuy

Here is a guide on Cetane levels in diesel fuel from different sources:

This is interesting anyway.

Here is the URL:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1987974&postcount=1

and in summary the list:

BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Countrymark fuels Diesel-R, 50
Chevron, 49; or 51 with Techron D labels in select markets
ConocoPhillips through the 76 stations (California) 47-53
PetroCanada, 47-51
BP (Powerblend 47, otherwise 40-42)
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46;
Sunoco Gold, 45 (often +1-5) Sunoco regular is usually 40.
Exxon/Mobile, 43-46
Holiday Stations, 40-43
HESS, 40-42, can be up to 45.
Husky, 40 + diesel Max additives raise another 1-3 from there (41-45 max)
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Sheetz: 40
Flying J, 40
Wawa, 40

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I on a regular basis put in either Diesel Kleen, Desiel 911 or Motorcraft PM22A (depending on seasonally temps). An ounce of prevention is worth much down the road, if it does not make a difference I know in my mind it may be the reason for good reliable performance. But I need to ask this question what happen to the LUBRICITY issues that was causing the HPFP in the new vehicles from self destructing and the use of these products to help eliminate this fuel pump break down? Have they gone away?

wdk450

For those of you attending the Goshen national Rally, I have about 12 sample bottles of DieselPower additive that only needs 1 oz per 36 gallon tankful. Look me up when I get there (Friday evening, 6/14). I think my space number has moved from what was previously listed. Please come see me in person, I don't want to keep track of online requests/reservations.

scottyb

But I need to ask this question what happen to the LUBRICITY issues that was causing the HPFP in the new vehicles from self destructing and the use of these products to help eliminate this fuel pump break down? Have they gone away?

Good question.

marvmarcy

I notice my engine (Cummins ISX) is quieter when using Opti-Lube, although I haven't used any in the past several years. Most of the change in noise level comes from the injector pump. My truck and trailer weigh over 32,000#, and I get around 9.5 mpg overall. My truck is seldom driven bobtail. I can't attribute any change in performance or fuel consumption to fuel cetane rating or additive. I currently have 822,xxx miles on the engine with no major repairs, and recent oil analysis and dyno test indicate it still meets "new" specs.

I agree this issue is mostly personal opinion. I only go to two shops (one in eastern NC and the other in CO Spgs) for maintenance, and both say the same thing - they've not been able to attribute any advantages to additives but both sell them. A friend with a truck like mine buys bulk vegetable oil from Costco to add to his fuel and has done this for years. His engine is quieter and runs great. However, mechanics generally say to never add anything to diesel fuel that isn't specifically made for diesel fuel. I recently bought a biodiesel-making setup and hope to start making fuel soon. Most engine mfrs restrict bio content to 20% of diesel fuel.

JanAndBill

I don't necessarily believe that it is a matter of personal choice, especially on those engines manufuactured prior to 2006, and frankly I don't think it hurts on those manufactured after 2006. As an over the road trucking company we burned a lot of fuel, all pre low sulfur, while there have always been fluctuations in the quality of the fuel, I don't believe it was as much of a problem with the higher sulfur content. I tried different additives over the years, but couldn't really make a case to justify the expense and aggravation. Part of the problem was I had to depend on someone else (driver) to add the correct amount. Now though as they have moved to low sulfur, and ultra low sulfur I think the benefits of the added lubricity from an additive, and the boost to the Cetane outweigh the cost.

GOTTOYS

For those of you attending the Goshen national Rally, I have about 12 sample bottles of DieselPower additive that only needs 1 oz per 36 gallon tankful. Look me up when I get there (Friday evening, 6/14). I think my space number has moved from what was previously listed. Please come see me in person, I don't want to keep track of online requests/reservations.
That comes out to .000217 percent when added to 36 gals of fuel...That's a pretty weak mixture...Don

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I tried about four different additives. My personal feeling is the base substance on their claims is Snake Oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

wdk450

That comes out to .000217 percent when added to 36 gals of fuel...That's a pretty weak mixture...Don

I don't understand why a businessman would tell you to use LESS of his product than you need to. But this whole subject is really deficient of objective, large-scale, scientific studies as to the additives REAL benefits. I would look to the very large diesel truck fleets, like WalMart's, and ask if they use any additives, and what those are.

In the meantime, if you want to oil your snakes, I've got limited free additive at the Goshen rally.