Fuel Additives

scottyb

Personally, I don't know whether an additive is necessary or if they work at all. All I do know for sure, is that I have a paper trail showing that I have used the OEM recommended fuel additive, in the event there is a HPFP failure.

One thing I might mention for those that allow their TV's to sit for long periods of time, is an algaecide type additive. We have a 10K gal storage tank that got a bad case of algae, and it wreaked havoc on our equipment's fuel systems before we realized what was going on. It cost us $1000's. Diesel has a tendency to cause condensation, especially I a less than full tank, which can allow algae to grow on the inside of the tank. Try to keep your tanks full if possible.

scottyb

If anybody is interested in reading an actual test of fuel additives there is one on line. It has copywrite by The Diesel Place and Arlen Spicer. I have all 11 pages of it but I can't find the original on line address. Is it out of places to attach it here?
Just found a link to a copy. http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Nice report, but too bad Ford's OEM cetane booster was not included. I found the "Unconventional" treatments interesting. Used (5000 mi) Rotella T ?

wdk450

Gang:
I am in space RR (next to the RailRoad) 314. White Bighorn with Gillette and Goshen rally stickers, if anybody wants some free additive.

porthole

Retired
Gang:
I am in space RR (next to the RailRoad) 314. White Bighorn with Gillette and Goshen rally stickers, if anybody wants some free additive.

White Bighorn - that narrows it down :rolleyes:

We are right down the road from you until the move later, if it's free it's for me - I'll take a sample.

Will look for ya later, Cyclone and white F-350 DRW or the red electric golden retriever cart.

porthole

Retired
I found the "Unconventional" treatments interesting. Used (5000 mi) Rotella T ?

Two stroke oil and the used motor oil are tricks that absolutely should not be used in the newest diesels.

I'd like to see the report updated. Printed in 2007, probably a lot of testing in 2006, and ULSD was not readily available then, at least during the travels I did when I got my 06 GMC.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
If anybody is interested in reading an actual test of fuel additives there is one on line. It has copywrite by The Diesel Place and Arlen Spicer. I have all 11 pages of it but I can't find the original on line address. Is it out of places to attach it here?
Just found a link to a copy. http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Hum, I have a hard time believing that these work all together. I hear so many claims of them improving the MPG. So far I have ran three of the ones listed with absolutely no improvements in MPG. Standadyne, Kleen, and Opti Lube XPD. I still have about a gallon of the Opti Lube XPD. Though I bought it in 2010 I am not sure if I would still run it due to age. But the buddy that swore by Opti Lube XPD said him and his roommate had seen 1-2 mpg increase in both of their pickups. One DMax was a DPF equipped version.

Maybe my problem with additives is that I am looking for an increase in MPG rather then looking at the close doors behind the scene benefit of just added lubricity.

Though for me to use them now is skeptical. Being that I have a new Ford with a 6.7, I don't know if I could add something to the fuel tank after reading so many stories on how Ford reacts to a fuel issue and warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Again I ask, "What about Lubricity and the HPFP issues Ford was experiencing that so many were talking about on this fourm last year?" Lot of talk about MPG but nothing on engine longivity due to the use of these items. I use either Deisel Kleen or Ford additive just for an ounce of prevention. Has the HPFP issues subsided?

Eddhuy

+1 mattpopp. On my 04 6.0, every time I put in Diesel Kleen, my mileage actually seem to have worsened for the tank with the additive but there are a lot of other factors that would have to be taken into account before I could blame it on the additive. I have yet to find a valid reason to put an additive into my 6.7 tank and even leaning the other way, Ford recommended not to. My nephew works at a diesel shop and the owner drives a 2012 F250 with the 6.7. He said he does not use an additive and that it is not necessary. He did say on the 6.0 he would recommend it.

I feel comfortable not using it and do not need to use it for security reasons, but if someone else feels good about using it, I am not going to say they are wrong. It would be like trying to argue politics or religion, everyone has there beliefs and that is how it is.

Eddhuy

This is from the 2013 Diesel Supplement that came with my F350:

DIESEL FUEL ADDITIVES
It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket additives to your fuel
tank if you use a properly formulated diesel fuel. Aftermarket additives
can damage the injector system or engine.

Use Motorcraft® cetane booster or an equivalent cetane booster additive
if you suspect fuel has low cetane. Use Motorcraft® anti-gel &
performance improver or an equivalent additive if there is fuel gelling.

Do not use alcohol based additives to improve cetane quality, to prevent
fuel gelling or any other use. The use of alcohol additives may result in
damage to the fuel injectors/system. refer to the Technical
specifications section in the Capacities and Specifications chapter for
more information.

Repairs to correct the effects of using an aftermarket product that does
not meet Ford specifications in your fuel may not be covered by your
warranty.

wdk450

Sounds like standard Corporatespeak. If they sold diesel fuel they would be telling you to use theirs only, or risk voiding your warranty.

This is from the 2013 Diesel Supplement that came with my F350:

DIESEL FUEL ADDITIVES
It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket additives to your fuel
tank if you use a properly formulated diesel fuel. Aftermarket additives
can damage the injector system or engine.

Use Motorcraft® cetane booster or an equivalent cetane booster additive
if you suspect fuel has low cetane. Use Motorcraft® anti-gel &
performance improver or an equivalent additive if there is fuel gelling.

Do not use alcohol based additives to improve cetane quality, to prevent
fuel gelling or any other use. The use of alcohol additives may result in
damage to the fuel injectors/system. refer to the Technical
specifications section in the Capacities and Specifications chapter for
more information.

Repairs to correct the effects of using an aftermarket product that does
not meet Ford specifications in your fuel may not be covered by your
warranty.

choprpilot76

LOL, all this diversity is hilarious, the diesel mechanics of the world need to unite and get on the same sheet of music. They can't all be right. I have a 2012 F350 Diesel DRW, I have run the Ford brand "Motorcraft" as well as Diesel Kleen. I am almost out of the Motorcraft and am going to start using Lucas Oil based on some trusted recommendations, but that's just FYSA from what I am hearing on my end. Truthfully, as long as it is a cetane booster and cleaner, you should be good with all those main brands, and for those in colder areas, may need to use the ones with anti-geling agents in it.

JanAndBill

It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket additives to your fuel tank if you use a properly formulated diesel fuel.

Truer words were never said. Unfortunately in our less than perfect world, until there is a national standard to regulate the cetane rating on diesel fuel, additives can and do help. I did notice in the parts store the other day that a quart of Diesel Kleen was the same price as the pint of Motorcraft that I had been using. Then I read the label "treats 100 gallons". The Motorcraft treats 125 gallons, so it acutally costs less to use.

Up until 2007 when I retired, I routinely ran filtered used motor oil back into the truck tanks. I can't say that it improved anything, for us it was a way to get rid of it. Neither did it hurt anything, as I routinely ran a million miles on an engine before it came out of service.

whp4262

I have a 99 Dodge dually with 250,000 miles on a cummins engine and I have only replaced the high pressure pump once. Ocasionaly I run additives for two reasons, to keep the fuel from gelling when its really cold and to stop or inhibit fungicidal growth in the tank. I use Power Service and although I'm sure there are others, it's the only one I've found that will ungel gelled diesel fuel which I had the unfortunate opportunity to try once during the winter in northern Minnesota.

Miltp920

Here is a study on additives done some time ago. Rather than post the lengthy details I am posting the URL. If that does not work let me know.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

Lynn,

i have not used a fuel additive yet, but I think I need to start. Do I need to have fuel filtration upgraded from stock to use additives. Adding a fuel filtration system is on my list of mods I want to do, but would like to start additives before that. Thanks in advance.

Lynn1130

You are welcome and no you do not need to have it upgraded but better fuel filtration is never a bad idea. I mentioned in another thread that dirt and air are the enemy of injectors.

blacklabbob

I have recently using STANADYNE in my '09 Chev. DuMax, only because my son gave me 5 gallons of it. Seems like it has improved my mileage between 1/2 and 1 mpg based on only two months of use. They have an informative website.

emm4273610re

I too have used Power Service. Had great luck up here in New England no gelling. I have also noticed you can buy it almost anywhere, from the gas station, auto parts stores, Wal Mart to the Freightliner dealer. Good Luck