Full time site set up question

Garypowell

We are going to use a 6 month site this summer rather than travel around. And, in fact, if we like the spot might just leave the rig there through the winter (Maggie Valley, NC) and do this for several years. So I have been mulling over ideas.

One is how to make the rig more stable. We do not have level up. The thought I have is once unhooked to lower the front as far as possible. While doing this note about what height the rig is level. While the front is nose down build a support under the back frame of the unit that is just a little higher than that level mark determined above.

Then raise the rig so that the unit begins to rest on those back supports and raise it a little higher than level in the front.

Then build a corresponding front support system. Put one just in front of the tires and another up by the front jacks. Then lower the unit down onto these supports.

This will take some weight off of the suspension system (morryde) and I think make the rig more stable.

Two question:

1. Do you think the front jacks will have this much power?

2. Anyone done something similar to their full time set up to make the unit more stable?

MCTalley

No answers for you, but one more question that might help others: Do you have electric or hydraulic front jacks?

danemayer

Gary,

I would think a 2013 Bighorn has hydraulic landing gear. So they're plenty strong enough. Make sure you have a good surface under the front landing gear so you can lift the nose when it's time to remove the supports.

Garypowell

MC....it is Hydraulic. And Thanks Dan. Might let it sit like normal for a while to see if we like it there. The biggest problem is Linda is concerned about the cold up in the mountains.....and of course that is what I am looking for. And we might decide to travel a little more....just don't know at this point.

I am also not sure what the park would allow or not allow. Even a nice looking set of railroad ties....is a bunch of rail road ties. I do believe there is a "no skirting" rule. Because, just as you said Dan, we'd want to make it so it would not sink over time. We see that all the time on most any surface but concrete and asphalt. Most everything else you can tighten down the supports and some of them are loose when you pull out a week later.

In general we have traveled like this for over 22 years....about 4 of those full time....and getting a little tired of the setup and tear down....not to mention the physical strain on our bodies....so it seems like it is time.

Thanks guys!

Mike4401

Hi Gary,

We have our 2018 Newport set up at a permanent site near Palm Springs. I did an internet search for "mobile home metal piers". I ended up buying 8 of them, and they do a great job stabilizing the rig. You will need to measure before you order so you get the correct size pier. They are adjustable with a screw on top, so real easy to snug them up to the chassis. If you just wanted to order one size pier, you could also build up below them with some wood blocks. Probably look a little better to your neighbors than the railroad ties. :) mike

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The only problem I see is that if you support the rear and the front there will be a long span in between. That long span will allow a lot of flex in the frame.
That flex will give you a lot of bounce when moving around inside. Not what you are looking to accomplish.
I suggest that you also support the center near the wheels.

Peace
Dave

dave10a

I don't know about North Carolina, but in Florida at the parks I stay at hurricane anchors are required for all 6X6 or permanent trailers. If they are not required in NC then it could be a good idea anyway. Saying that I noticed that some of the trailers in Florida had those anchors but flipped anyway. It could be that the anchors were not installed properly or nothing could have prevented the damage. However, most of the trailer with anchors survived.....

Garypowell

All...thanks again for helping me think this through. I had used the RR ties just for a stable example but good to know their are "piers" available. And I had second thoughts about not mentioning the potential for putting something behind the back wheels.....good catch Cookie.

Another problem that no one has mentioned is my hydraulic line for the disc brakes runs on the bottom of the I beam. I figured I'd find something "U" shaped to cap over the top of that so as to not damage the line.....is it amazing how thin it is.

Probably won't do anything this first year.....we have kind of grown accustomed to the bounce after all these years. And, again, have to find out what others are doing and are allowed to do once we move in.

Happy New Year to all!

Linda and I are looking forward to 2018 as a lot of potential changes coming into our lives. My hope is we like this new arrangement and can sell the truck. We love it but would be more comfortable putting in our 35K miles in an SUV. Others have sold their unit stationary in this park....and that can happen down the road when we no longer want to make the trek to the RV Condo!