Full water heater? / bypass valves

ccrider

13. Torque 301. Had my water heater on today so I'm assuming valves are not in bypass mode. I had trouble finding the valves. Are they the ones that are behind the heater cause they are really hard to get to. The panel in under storage had to be pulled off and there is duct work in front of the access to the heater. How do you know if water heater is full? The manual here says if bypass is on it can be deceiving. But I have to figure out where the valves are first. Thanks. Please be patient. I'm trying to read the guides first but they don't show everything.

danemayer

Hi ccrider,

If you're hooked up to city water, or are using the fresh tank and have the pump turned on, you can open the pressure relief valve on the water heater. If it's full, the pressure of city water or pump water will cause water to come out of the relief valve.

Be careful opening the valve. If there's hot water inside, it could scald you.

ccrider

Thanks. I didn't think of that. I still have to figure out where the bypass valves are. Going to need them to winterize

danemayer

I think yours are probably a few inches away from the back side of the water heater. If that's right, you'll have to take down the rear wall of the pass thru storage on the water heater side. There's a picture of what the valves should look like on page 6 of our Winterization Guide.