Furnace will not work off of left propane tank

RottsNScotts

I know, I know, I should have posted here first! But, after almost $900 in "repair" costs, my furnace will still not work off the left propane tank!

It works fine off the right tank but, even when the left tank is confirmed full, the regulator shows it is full, the furnace runs but it is not producing hot air, inside or in the outside exhaust!

When I move the tank to the right side, it works fine!

So far, the regulator on the right has been replaced as well as the furnace control board.

Help!

And thanks!

TedS

Replace the pigtail hose on the left tank position. The check valve in it is clogged or stuck closed.

Oregon_Camper

Have you swapped the physical tanks? This would eliminate the tank as the problem and ensure it is a valve/regulator issue.

gasman

Camp Socializer
If the other appliances don't work on the left tank, remove the hose that runs from the left tank to the regulator. Try to blow through it. If it passes air then replace the auto changeover regulator.

I had this same problem on my 3160 Bighorn. Heartland has a recall for the regulator. They sent me a new upgrade regulator and all is well.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Have you tried closing the valve on the tank and open it veerrryy slowly. Sometimes these new valves will lock up if opened too quickly thinking there is a leak. I have fixed more than one of my friends propane devices by doing just this.

Oregon_Camper

I had this same problem on my 3160 Bighorn. Heartland has a recall for the regulator. They sent me a new upgrade regulator and all is well.

What year is your 3160? Guessing this happened rather quickly (after delivery)??

Just seeing if this something I might need to keep an eye on. :)

RottsNScotts

Does your stove work from the left tank?

Yes, stove worked on left tank, just not the furnace.

Thanks for the input!

- - - Updated - - -

Replace the pigtail hose on the left tank position. The check valve in it is clogged or stuck closed.

Okay, I do not know what the pigtail hose is. Would my stove still work off the left tank propane if this is the problem? The repair guy did test that the propane was going through one of the hoses, don't know if it is the pigtail or not...

Thanks for the input; I will investigate further!

- - - Updated - - -

Have you swapped the physical tanks? This would eliminate the tank as the problem and ensure it is a valve/regulator issue.

Yes, in each case, I moved the full left tank to the right tank position and everything worked fine from there.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

If the other appliances don't work on the left tank, remove the hose that runs from the left tank to the regulator. Try to blow through it. If it passes air then replace the auto changeover regulator.

I think this is the hose the repairman tested and propane was going through it. The auto changeover regulator has been changed and problem persists.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried closing the valve on the tank and open it veerrryy slowly. Sometimes these new valves will lock up if opened too quickly thinking there is a leak. I have fixed more than one of my friends propane devices by doing just this.

I will try this one tomorrow!

Thanks!

danemayer

This is a pigtail.
pigtail.jpg

If it's partially clogged, there will be a reduced flow of propane from tank to regulator and on to the furnace. The furnace demands much more propane than the stove, so with a partial clog, it's possible the stove works ok but the furnace doesn't.

One way to diagnose this is to guess your way through by replacing one part after another until the problem is resolved. Another way is to put a Manometer on the furnace test port to accurately determine whether the furnace is getting 11 column inches of propane that it needs to function correctly. That's what the dealer tech is supposed to do.

Since you don't have a Manometer, the next best approach, after swapping tanks, is to replace the pigtail. It's inexpensive and easy to replace. It's also a common source of partial flow failures. Probably around $15. If that doesn't work, a next step would be to replace the dual regulator on the assumption that one side is delivering reduced propane flow. A dual regulator is also pretty easy to replace, if the new one has the same size fittings. They run $55-75.

But it's probably the pigtail. If the dealer didn't replace it, you should.

RottsNScotts

Tried this one; did not work. :-(

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

This is a pigtail.
View attachment 49019

If it's partially clogged, there will be a reduced flow of propane from tank to regulator and on to the furnace. The furnace demands much more propane than the stove, so with a partial clog, it's possible the stove works ok but the furnace doesn't.

One way to diagnose this is to guess your way through by replacing one part after another until the problem is resolved. Another way is to put a Manometer on the furnace test port to accurately determine whether the furnace is getting 11 column inches of propane that it needs to function correctly. That's what the dealer tech is supposed to do.

Since you don't have a Manometer, the next best approach, after swapping tanks, is to replace the pigtail. It's inexpensive and easy to replace. It's also a common source of partial flow failures. Probably around $15. If that doesn't work, a next step would be to replace the dual regulator on the assumption that one side is delivering reduced propane flow. A dual regulator is also pretty easy to replace, if the new one has the same size fittings. They run $55-75.

But it's probably the pigtail. If the dealer didn't replace it, you should.

Thanks! Will try this one next. Dual regulator has already been replaced and was not the problem which is too bad because I like the old one I had better! Hopefully the repair guy still has it and I can get it back! Will find out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thanks!