G614 owners

Bobby A

Hi you'all

We are on our last leg of a 1200 plus mile journey south, and I notice on my Goodyear G614's there is rubber shaving on the outside of the tires. I was wondering if you all have this on yours. I was told by a Goodyear dealer that installed the tires that that is normal. I have had my axles checked by a Lippert tech to make sure they are square and installed properly. I have had the tires balanced, everything seems to check out normal. My trailer seems to ride level to the truck, the nose doesn't dip into the bed or ride high.I keep the tires inflated to the max at 110 psi. Don't really know if I'm doing something wrong or overlooking something. I just wonder if everyone experiance this rubber dust/shavings at the end of a days journey. I guess maybe I'm just a worry wart, but it sure does make the trip much more enjoyable knowing all the equipment is performing normal and properly.

Thanks,
Bobby A

Last edited:

trvlrerik

I am not sure what you mean buy rubber shaving on the tires. After a long day in traffic or hills I have had brake dust on my rims but no rubber shavings on the tires.

I have seen rubber and brake "dust" build up on most truck stop parking lots and this dust has blown up and struck to wet surfaces on my truck and trailer. I am running G614s on my heavy work trailers and Michelins on my Cyclone.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have G614's and they appear to be wearing a bit more on the edges than the center. I can attribute this to 2 things. I only run 95 psi in them and when negotiating tight corners and backing into sites or tight maneuvers, the edges will wear "scrub" faster. As for me running only 95# of air is based on the weight of my rig, that's what I do. So far, so good. Fingers crossed. Going down the road with ambient air temperature in the 70's my TPS monitor tells me my tires are running anywhere from 106 to 112 psi.

Bobby A

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I will keep my eye on this thread and unless someone replies that they had the same issue and new of a problem/fix, I will just keep trucking down the road in hopes of no blow outs. In my 1000 mile journey so far I have seen several RV's on the side of the road with blow outs.

safe travels everyone,

Bobby A

Willym

We have G614's and they appear to be wearing a bit more on the edges than the center. I can attribute this to 2 things. I only run 95 psi in them and when negotiating tight corners and backing into sites or tight maneuvers, the edges will wear "scrub" faster. As for me running only 95# of air is based on the weight of my rig, that's what I do. So far, so good. Fingers crossed. Going down the road with ambient air temperature in the 70's my TPS monitor tells me my tires are running anywhere from 106 to 112 psi.

The G614 design, with the "bald" edges makes it look like they are wearing more on the edges maybe. I'd be careful about running at low pressure. You need to account for the weight on individual tyres and most 5th wheels are heavier on one side. Unless you weigh your wheels individually, it's hard to figure out the right inflation pressure.

Tyres at low pressure will flex more and generate more heat. Thus you'll see greater temperature fluctuation running this way.

traveler44

Bobby! We just put about 1500 Mi. on our G614s and I haven't noticed anything looking different about them. This was our first trip with them. We only travel about 250 Mi. per day. I have noticed that they seem to run cooler than the wheels according to my heat gun. Haven't traveled in hot weather with them yet. My front tires on the truck run cooler than the rear ones due to the pin weight and pulling action I guess. Tom M.

Elevatorman

Even my Freestar's have that scrubbed look on the outer edges. They are kept at pressure and have had their share of tight turning lately but seem to be doing good. They catch my eye all the time, thinking something is wrong, but the temps have been good. I'm running heavier than usual, (around 15K +/-), so I think it's due to the bouncing while on the road and soft suspension. I keep the speeds around 65.

caissiel

I have the freestar tires and with 6000 miles on the unit, there is still some dipples showing on the outer edge threads on a few tires. Though I found a spring 3/4" out of aligment on the rear axle and repaired it, the tires are wearing perfectly.

I would guess that if tires would be inflated to 110PSI the running pressure would not be much more or might even be less, as lower pressure tires run hotter. Remember tires wear on the side because of under inflation and create heat thus wearing faster.

On my TPMS the readings at 70 Deg F is 110PSI and at 42F the readings is 114PSI. So if they are at 110PSI now at 42F the pressure will be 114PSI at 70F.

But tires are rated to be nominal around 70 so before I leave, I surely will have them pumped to 110 PSI at 70F. Or 107PSI at 42F due to daytime temperature when leaving will be 42F or lower. My TPMS readings will surely inform me of the proper pressure requirement.

On my first radial tire experience I had a Mustang with cheap Firestone tires. Drove those for quit a long time and one day I noticed that the air pressure in the front tires was 41PSI due to a bad gauge. To my suprise I realy though those tires were great riding on the stiff suspension car. So from then on I pumped the front at 35PSI and the rear at 32PSI. Done that for the last 27 years on radials and never broke a belt on radials while everyone I know did at some time. So I look at the inflation pressure requirement on the door and add 5 psi or up to the Tire Max pressure.

Ray LeTourneau

The G614 design, with the "bald" edges makes it look like they are wearing more on the edges maybe. I'd be careful about running at low pressure. You need to account for the weight on individual tyres and most 5th wheels are heavier on one side. Unless you weigh your wheels individually, it's hard to figure out the right inflation pressure.

Tyres at low pressure will flex more and generate more heat. Thus you'll see greater temperature fluctuation running this way.
Willym, I agree 100%. The TSP I have also monitors temperature. It's very interesting to watch the change in psi as well as temperature when starting out from cold in the morning. Many things affect the temperature which in turn affects the psi. Road surface, sun, speed, weight on individual tires etc. I have considered adding air to my tires and may still do it before heading south. It will be interesting to see how starting out with a higher psi will affect the "traveling" psi and temps.

traveler44

We usually leave a camp ground in the morning and I always try to keep mine up to close to 110 psi. regardless of what the temperature is at the time. What you say about pressure increasing with temperature makes sense. Do you have to keep the pressure that close because of the effect on the tpms? I plan on getting tpms for 5th whl. soon, it's a safety issue //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon6.png. Tom M.

caissiel

Like I said earlier when I installed my TPMS (HawksHead) I though that 1 wheel was off by 4 lbs from the digital Gauge.
It was 42F outside and the 3 Units that I installed were stored outside prior to installation and one was on the kitchen table.

When I installed the 3 cold units they were right on with the digital gauge at 110PSI. The 70F (room Temperature unit) was off at 114PSI. They all gave me the right unit temperature of 42F and 1 was at 70F. So I tought that the one unit was not indicating the proper pressure. Well after the room temperature unit cooled of to 42F like the other 3 the tire pressure indicator was back to 110PSI.

Therefore I concluded that the units calibrate for temperature fluctuations when indicating pressure. So I conclude that I will have to pump my tires lower then 110PSI at 40F in order that they may be 110PSI at 70F. The units were set at default warning for 77F so I left them at that setting. I know it is low but I have to learn it will be a slow curve.

To Me I will pump my tires for 110PSI at 70F which will possibly be 106/107PSI, and can live with 4 PSI difference on 30F temperature differential.

Once I hit the road wheels will warm up around set point of 77F and then I can observe the tire temperature and pressure on my trip south.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I use a certified calibration digital air gauge when I air up the tires. The put on the sensors. The sensors always read a couple of pounds different.

Willym

For those of you with pressure/temperature sensors, I presume that the temp reading comes from the valve mounted transducer. So is this an accurate reading of the tyre temperature, or really just the air temperature near the tyre?

Ray LeTourneau

For those of you with pressure/temperature sensors, I presume that the temp reading comes from the valve mounted transducer. So is this an accurate reading of the tyre temperature, or really just the air temperature near the tyre?
That's a darn good question. I know I have seen temperatures as high as 112-114 if I remember correctly.
It might be a contact temperature sensing device built into the sensor. If it were the air temperature near the tire I'm sure it would be considerably less. Next time out, I'll compare to my non contact meter to see if there's much difference.

rick_debbie_gallant

Each time we stop for a bio-break and fuel (every 2 hours) I will check the pressure and shoot the tires and hubs with an infrared temp gauge.

KL7j

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I will keep my eye on this thread and unless someone replies that they had the same issue and new of a problem/fix, I will just keep trucking down the road in hopes of no blow outs. In my 1000 mile journey so far I have seen several RV's on the side of the road with blow outs.

safe travels everyone,

Bobby A

I just finished 6000 miles including the Alaska Highway with 614's. A Doran TPMs is used and always 110 lbs cold in the tires as I want maximum carrying rating.

My BH is a 3055RL and I had the tires/wheels option on my order for an additional $500. The outside of the tires was smooth from new and for reducing turning scuff I'm told, so that can be deceiving versus other tires.

I did find thanks to my TPMS, that new from factory this August 30, some of them leaked. I had Les Schwab Tire take all five tires over to their tank and I had two leakers. Not the tires or stem cores but the stem on the wheel seal. They tighten the stem nut to proper torque, leaks disappeared under water and losing pressure problems gone. How many RV'ers start out assuming all their tires are aired up and not checking for some time (daily?) might become a blowout victim if that leak is undected. I have been notified by my TPMS a number of times over the years, always in time and it's something I will not do without now. It was money well spent.

It was interesting to watch the running pressures in the warmer 90 degree climates increasing to 122 lbs versus the colder areas in the Yukon. Wear so far is very acceptable.

I had a Montana 5th a few years ago, same trip with off brand Missions, they were half gone by 6000 miles, these 614's still look good.

Other than the stems initially leaking by poor installaton on the wheels, I am satisfied with them so far and the Alaska Highway and some dirt driving is a good test.

caissiel

I would assume the sensors indicates the temperature at contact point.
The valve stem is metal so the heat transfer from the rim to the stem is read.
The rim temperature will be almost same as the air temperature inside the tire.
Air temperature would be same as the tire.
So Temperature indication would be similar or lower then the tire temperature

WilmanJim

On our way to San Diego the first part of October through Utah, Nevada and California we were traveling in 99* to 102* outside air temp and on our Freestar tires, with 14,000 miles on them and at 110 psi cold with outside air temp at 72* the tires showed 76* before we started. The pressures went to 131 - 133 PSI on the sun side and 126 - 128 PSI on the shade side with temps showing 106* - 108* and 101* - 104* respectively. The warmest I saw our hubs and Aluminum wheels when we would stopped was 107* with my Laser Thermometer.
We travel at 60 - 62 MPH.