Calling all axle guru's...calling all axle guru's...

Sniper

Your axles are fine !!!! It is just because of your tire is failing ...
Do this then if you going to crawl under there measure from the axle to the ground on both axles in the same place on the axle. Both measurements should be the same. If there not, you have one tire bigger then the other.
Unless you actually have two different size tires on there. LOL you found your problem.
I'm guessing it looks like you going the find about 1" or more difference in that measureme

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Ok Jess, after going back and re-reading ALL the post and seeing Dans picture with the horilzontal lines across it really put it in perspective. The taller tire height is raising the front axle thus the equalizer off set, just as if I put two different size tires on the front and rear axles. Correct? That makes since to my dumb arse. FANTASTIC! :)

rhodies1

I suspect my front axle has twisted in the u-bolts. I can see nothing broken, and the leaf springs are still properly in their perches. If the axle has twisted inside the u-bolts is this something I can fix myself here in the campground myself, or is the axle gonna need reset to a specific degree. The first hint that something was out of wack was the both front tires were "crowning" like they were way over inflated, but all 4 tires are at 80lbs.

View attachment 44550 Drivers side. (front axle is to the left in the pic)

View attachment 44551Passenger side. (front axle is to the right in the pic)

View attachment 44552Passenger side. (front axle to the right in the pic)

View attachment 44553Passenger side. Again front axle is to the ride, and visible forward and higher up in the opening.

Any input is appreciated. Great way to start our first trip of the year! WOO HOO! :)

Hello Sniper, I quessing we know you the boss is , we all get the last word in our homes..Yes Dear.Good luck and hopefully it's something minor to fix.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Oh good I didn't want you to pay a mobile mechanic to come out and spend an hour or two of your $$$$ for this.
Glad you're on the right track now

danemayer

it seems highly unlikely that both front axle tires would start having issues due to the brand of tire at the exact same time when it obvious that the axle is not sitting right, however it is agreed we are in for at least 2 new tires, along with fixing the axle before our return trip.

You wouldn't be the first person to have noticed damage like this on more than one tire. Let's just hypothesize for a moment that the tire problem was caused by excessive heat buildup. All 4 tires could have been subjected to similar heat buildup. If the weight on the axles is a bit higher on the front axles, that could explain why the front 2 tires are showing damage first.

With the advanced damage that you're seeing on 2 tires, and the many reports of tire failures where the internal damage wasn't visible, I think you'd be taking an unnecessary risk by continuing to use any of the 4 tires. Replace the spare also, even if unused. If you ever have to put the spare into use, you'll want one you can rely on.

Sniper

Oh good I didn't want you to pay a mobile mechanic to come out and spend an hour or two of your $$$$ for this.
Glad you're on the right track now

Well after sweating bullets the last 200 miles, all I needed was 6 hours sleep, 3 pots of coffee, and our Heartland Owner friends to get my head straight. ;)

Sniper

You wouldn't be the first person to have noticed damage like this on more than one tire. Let's just hypothesize for a moment that the tire problem was caused by excessive heat buildup. All 4 tires could have been subjected to similar heat buildup. If the weight on the axles is a bit higher on the front axles, that could explain why the front 2 tires are showing damage first.

With the advanced damage that you're seeing on 2 tires, and the many reports of tire failures where the internal damage wasn't visible, I think you'd be taking an unnecessary risk by continuing to use any of the 4 tires. Replace the spare also, even if unused. If you ever have to put the spare into use, you'll want one you can rely on.
I guess that's another thing throwing me off, with the two Harley's, and enough tools to rebuild the Space Shuttle loaded in the garage the rears usually have more weight on them, (about 300 pounds last time I weighed it loaded, but for all I know the Commander could have put 600 pounds of shoes under the couch. We're gonna be on the road for 10 days after all :)). Also, all the tires were within 8 deg. of each other checked with a lazer thermometer 139 highest recorded tread temp. We are discussing just upgrading all the wheels and tires now, or just replacing 2, or all 4. Thanks for all the input, and if I came off as grouchy earlier... I was. LOL :rolleyes: I'll update later. Thanks again everyone. Love this forum!

Roller4tan

Pulling out of Yuma last week 85 degrees and sunny. My Goodyear G614's never got hotter than 115 deg. per my TST sensors and a check at a rest stop with a laser temp gun. :eek: Your 135 seems high.

Sniper

Pulling out of Yuma last week 85 degrees and sunny. My Goodyear G614's never got hotter than 115 deg. per my TST sensors and a check at a rest stop with a laser temp gun. :eek: Your 135 seems high.
You may be right. I was told in the past anything under 150 was ok. Regardless the tires are coming off, and the axle is getting looked at anyway. The Commander has spoken. LOL

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You may be right. I was told in the past anything under 150 was ok. Regardless the tires are coming off, and the axle is getting looked at anyway. The Commander has spoken. LOL

I would not trust TowMax any further than you can throw them, no matter the age. You see 2 tires with obvious damage occurring, but I bet if you take them all off you'll find other issues (people have found bubbles --separation starting -- in the tread area, inside the tire).

I also agree the temp sounds high. Even when the ambient temp in Texas was 100, our Maxxis tires ran about 115-119.

Sniper

Just to update. The Commander took charge, set my sorry arse down, put a cup of coffee in my hand, said "I'm not spending my vacation trying to find upgraded wheels and tires. I'll get a set that last 800 miles and do that when I get home. Now sit down" (or words to that effect), and called Coach Net. Matthew from Coach Net said he would be sending a mobile tire tech with 4 new tires (could not be sure of the brand though), and if that did not correct the axle issue to call him back, and he would set us up with the nearest service center. Hopefully that takes care of the issue. Hope he finds someone soon, so my blood pressure drops, and I can relax with out being Commanded to do so. Then we can all share our Tow Max stories again in another thread. :)

Dclaws54

Why not lower the pressure in the two taller tires until they are the same height to see if it straitens the axle ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just to update. The Commander took charge, set my sorry arse down, put a cup of coffee in my hand, said "I'm not spending my vacation trying to find upgraded wheels and tires. I'll get a set that last 800 miles and do that when I get home. Now sit down" (or words to that effect), and called Coach Net. Matthew from Coach Net said he would be sending a mobile tire tech with 4 new tires (could not be sure of the brand though), and if that did not correct the axle issue to call him back, and he would set us up with the nearest service center. Hopefully that takes care of the issue. Hope he finds someone soon, so my blood pressure drops, and I can relax with out being Commanded to do so. Then we can all share our Tow Max stories again in another thread. :)

Sounds like a solid plan.

One thing I learned early on, having an RV meant we had to be prepared for an "adventure" every trip. Our TowMax tire issues started within the 1st year of ownership, when I discovered uneven wear on one tire, during a 600+ mile trip. We called our roadside assistance to change the tire (we didn't have the right equipment to do so, back then). That spare became the octagon you saw in my earlier post, just 4 months later. All the tires were less than 2 years old.

I'm always pleasantly surprised when we don't have something that challenges us on an RV trip -- example: new rig, 3rd trip, shattered globe from the light fixture over the dinette. We take it in stride, and try not to let it frazzle us or ruin our trip!

We've had to delay and adjust plans a few times, but we manage. Ask Danemayer, he helped us change a broken shackle on our suspension one trip!

Sniper

Update: Let me start this update by saying that I will never again doubt the Heartland Forum Gods. You ALL are fantastic! Secondly I would have NEVER believed in a thousand years that a tire could crown enough to change the axle height before it would come apart, but they did. New tires corrected the problem as many of you stated it would, and the suspension was totally looked over and found to be in good order, again as many of you stated it would. I will post a complete run down of events later, but for now, I like to give a big endorsement (if that's allowed) to Coach Net, once again they were worth every penny we paid. They were simple fantastic. Almost as great as you all. Hopefully I can help someone as much as you all helped me someday. Now I can finally relax without being Commanded to do so. :D
P.S. Bones, the new pin box is great! Love it!

justafordguy

Glad you got those tires changed before a blowout. It looked like they were very close to blowing.

What new tires did you end up getting?