Garage area sleeping

Tree14

Good morning everyone. We have a Cyclone 4200 2016. My best friend and her husband are traveling with us to Sturgis this summer and they will be sleeping in the garage area. My question is has anyone found a way to make the dining area comfortable for sleeping due to the hump in the middle? My second question is has anyone found a ladder that works well for the bunk area in the garage section of the trailer for sleeping. I would like for them to sleep in the upper bunk so that we can continue to use the dining table and not make the back area such a mess. Sorry I am ADHD and OCD so it drives me crazy when it's messy. Any suggestions on updating or possibly supporting two adults in that top bunk area would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great camping season look forward to some great feedback. Be safe

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

LBR

Good morning everyone. We have a Cyclone 4200 2016. My best friend and her husband are traveling with us to Sturgis this summer and they will be sleeping in the garage area. My question is has anyone found a way to make the dining area comfortable for sleeping due to the hump in the middle? My second question is has anyone found a ladder that works well for the bunk area in the garage section of the trailer for sleeping. I would like for them to sleep in the upper bunk so that we can continue to use the dining table and not make the back area such a mess. Sorry I am ADHD and OCD so it drives me crazy when it's messy. Any suggestions on updating or possibly supporting two adults in that top bunk area would be greatly appreciated.

Top bunks are rated at 300#....2 VERY lightweight adults shouldn't damage the bunk. It's probably not the idea of the bunk suddenly breaking with too much weight as much as long lasting damage from the extra weight...could put a permanent bow in it I would assume.

Lynn1130

I am not familiar with your model so not sure what hump might be there. There is none in mine.

We use a three step ladder from Costco for the upper bunk. It also doubles as a way to get to the high cabinets for my wife.

Tree14

I am not familiar with your model so not sure what hump might be there. There is none in mine.

We use a three step ladder from Costco for the upper bunk. It also doubles as a way to get to the high cabinets for my wife.
Thanks for your response the hope is from the seats that you fold down for the dining set. I have a 4200 model. The upper bunk is only for I think 300 lb and I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure my best friends together way a little bit more than that. I really would like to use that upper bunk for sleeping and the dining table and seating for what its purposes eating.

OEFVET

You have a few options. You can drill new holes in the happijack bed rails for the push pins. I did this modification and by doing so it allowed me to lower the top bunk almost all the way so you can eliminate a step ladder. Also by doing this you can rest the top bunk on the bottom table/bunk (in the down position) which will increase the weight limit so you will not be required to strengthen the bed frame. In the morning you take the pins out and re-position them up high (original holes) again for stowing the bed during the day.

I find this works real well and will help you keep the area nice and neat.

Below is from my Modification thread:

[h=2]Change Happijack Bed Height[/h]
Modifications continue here with the elimination of the top garage bed stoppers that made it very difficult to get into the five foot high bed. The bed now goes all the way down to 30"s from floor. Also I changed the bed stow height to match the height of the front garage ceiling in the CY4200 due to the loft and full bathroom. By doing so I can stow stuff up on it without the need to use the happijack everytime.​
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Tree14

Awesome I thought there would be a way to support it with the bottom table bunk.
Thanks so much!

Tree14

Is it possible to send clearer pictures please

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

OEFVET

Is it possible to send clearer pictures please

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

The pictures are probably better from the original thread that you can access from my post. What you will need to do is remove the four pins that hold the bed at the factory set height. Then with the pins removed you lower the top bunk to the height you desire. In your case you will have it all the way down on top of the lower bed. Then you need to drill the same size holes 4 total all level at the same height you want to stow the bed at. If you look at where your pins are now it should make sense. Unfortunately I can't access my garage at the moment or I would try to take better pictures for you.

porthole

Retired
We haven't used it much, but when we do I take the mattress (if you can call it that) from the top bunk and place it on the bottom for a smooth surface.

BandGun

I just spent 2 months in the Keys with some friends and that was my concern prior to the trip. I had previously put a mattress on the bottom and the hump just transfers to the mattress. My solution this trip was to put a piece of 3/4 plywood on the bottom with a mattress on top of it. It worked perfectly.

As for access to the top bunk..it had previously been done with either the 3 step step ladder that I use for access to storage above the fridge etc or with the Stromberg 66" Step Ladder I bought off amazon. The friend found that the Stromberg did not feel safe to her on the top bunk and while the 3 step step ladder worked it left her reaching a tad on the way down.

I looked up a local fabricator and gave him my specs and he made me a new aluminum ladder with 1.75" pipe 68" high x 18" (outside dim). By going 2 inches longer it gave the ladder a more comfortable angle for climbing and with the thicker pipe there is NO wobble and it feels perfect in your hand. She was happy so I was happy.

ladder.jpg

Attachments

• ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 55

Tree14

I just spent 2 months in the Keys with some friends and that was my concern prior to the trip. I had previously put a mattress on the bottom and the hump just transfers to the mattress. My solution this trip was to put a piece of 3/4 plywood on the bottom with a mattress on top of it. It worked perfectly.

As for access to the top bunk..it had previously been done with either the 3 step step ladder that I use for access to storage above the fridge etc or with the Stromberg 66" Step Ladder I bought off amazon. The friend found that the Stromberg did not feel safe to her on the top bunk and while the 3 step step ladder worked it left her reaching a tad on the way down.

I looked up a local fabricator and gave him my specs and he made me a new aluminum ladder with 1.75" pipe 68" high x 18" (outside dim). By going 2 inches longer it gave the ladder a more comfortable angle for climbing and with the thicker pipe there is NO wobble and it feels perfect in your hand. She was happy so I was happy.

View attachment 52996
Thanks for your reply. I will check on this
What was the length of the ladder you purchased? Did it have hooks at the top?

Lynn1130

I don't know this model but with mine I do not have a "hump" however there will be a hump if I do not get the bed level and that means adjusting the height so that the legs in the center are not pushing the bed up making a hump. It does, at times, take some adjustment with the switch to get it just right. In other words If you run the bed all the way to the bottom of the run, the legs that support the center portions will push those up higher than the outer sections causing a hump. I wonder if this is the "hump" that some are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-R...=1499016311&sr=8-1&keywords=three+step+ladder

Last edited:

szewczyk_john

we have used apiece of the medical bedding that looks like egg carton materials to make the bunks more comfortable. We also have a foldable 2 step step still to access the upper bunk. It has worked for our two sons, brother and his wife as well as my 8 year old niece. if you can get any of that medical mattress material simply lay it over the bunk and then cover with your "fitted sheet".

avvidclif

My daughter uses the queen air mattress we carry just for use on the bottom "bed" with the hump. Smooths it right out according to her. I don't know, I'm not giving up my bed.

jimandjean

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050EIUOY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed this in my 4200 and super happy w it. Comes off and stores when not in use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

We don't have a toy hauler. We got rid of the junk Rv furniture and I purchased residential leather furniture from Carolina factory outlet here in Florida. So no sleeper sofa. What we did was purchase a 18" tall queen inflatable mattress. I personally have slept on it, very comfortable. Easy up and easy deflate.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Flooringit

I just bought a 2014 4100 elite and it was a special order so he didn't buy the happijac. I've been looking online but can't seem to find them for sale. Anyone know where I can get them. This is my first post so I will start a thread when I'm deemed not a bot.