Gas Struts for front queen bed.

DonnyB007

Trail Runner TR 25SLE Model - North Country 25SLE On hitch arm (stock #) - "TV947" SN - 5SFEB2922CE246407

I want to make use of the storage area under the front queen bed. You must lift up the mattress and a wooden lid to access storage area under the front queen bed. The problem is, the lid/ mattress is HEAVY! This is pretty much a two-man job to both lift up that lid and try and get anything out or in. We are both 60 years old and to try and lift the lid by ourselves is not possible.

Solution: it should be a mandatory item during factory production to install proper gas struts so your customers can lift the mattress/ lid to access the space under the mattress.

Request: My wife and I want to get an expert to install a set of gas struts so we can lift up the lid under our front queen mattress. What size of strut should we order and how many pounds should the strut be capable of lifting? We have seen gas struts on some other trailers in the exact location I am referring to. Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you.

danemayer

Hi DonnyB007,

I'd expect your dealer service department could do this for you. Struts are used on many models, so it's probably something they have on hand and know how to install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DonnyB007

They are super busy right now and we must leave May 17th. They do not consider my request a high priority item..understandably of course. I just thought if a heartland tech was reading this post he could give me the name of the part I need and the poundage required.

I know a tech that can do this good, but woul be happier if I knew what part to get or generic description of required part to give to the tech.

mbopp

We looked at many trailers before deciding on our North Trail. But we specified that the dealer had to install gas springs on the bed. They're not strong enough to hold the bed and mattress up unassisted but it's now a one-handed operation to lift the bed.

Manzan

There is a thread somewhere addressing struts. I put them under one end of my queen bed and used two 60# struts. Works great but in my case, there is a hinge half way back under the mattress so lifts only half.

ParkIt

While it isn't a fun thought, maybe you can stop at another dealership along your trip. You may hit one that has gotten done early with other units or has enough people to do it right away. It's a pretty standard item so most locations have them in stock.

Good luck on your upcoming trip :)

pegmikef

There is a thread somewhere addressing struts. I put them under one end of my queen bed and used two 60# struts. Works great but in my case, there is a hinge half way back under the mattress so lifts only half.

Here is that thread. It has a full description of how I did it with pictures and a source for the shocks. I think I spent 20 dollars and it took about and hour. You have to read the whole thread. I used sixty pound twelve inch shocks from furturesalesrv.com

//heartlandowners.org/showt...ht=#post184440

DonnyB007

I got my friend over and just finished installing the struts and the weight was just a but room much
to hold the top up. So we ended up having to make a special board as a brace. Anyway, it all works great now and my wife is just going out for final inspection. I got two 60 pound struts and likely I should have went 90 pounds.

Boy, does Heartland ever make the interior of the bottom of beds cheap and weak. We had to spend a lot of time reinforcing and gluing all the structure below to have something to screw to. The brackets sure would not hold at all with those flimsy little boards they used.

I think gas struts on the storage area under the queen bed should be a mandatory factory install.

pegmikef

Yeah, I recall that I had to reinforce the framing on the opening to support the brackets. It was mostly just 1 x 2s/

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Some pics of ours:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367977495.037949.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367977716.989167.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367977838.956081.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367978002.510859.jpg

This is from the factory. Both sides of the bed have these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParkIt

I thought they all came with tension arms, a bit surprised yours doesn't have them, maybe call Heart Land and ask just in case?

Picked up 40lb tension arms for the outside doors off JC Whitney's web site for $16 each including shipping, hardware came off a jeep for free. I like cheap and free ;)

DonnyB007

Yes, the factory install job looks great! Here is the job we ended up with after the forum input help and some shared brain power (lol)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 106

ParkIt

Yes, the factory install job looks great! Here is the job we ended up with after the forum input help and some shared brain power (lol)
It took me a second to figure out how it was done, until I realized it was sideways. Looks good either way ;)