Gas Struts for outside overhead doors

JimHamlin

We have a Big Horn 3400RL and would like to know if anyone has installed any of these gas support struts I see on some of the later Heartland models, on their larger outside doors? Seems like it would make it a whole lot easier to get stuff in & out. The doors I have are kind of a foam sandwich construction so I'm not sure they're beefy enuf for this. Anyone tried this?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I recall that some people have done what you are proposing.
As I remember, rather than attaching the struts directly to the door, they mounted an aluminum plate to the door and attached the strut to that.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We recently installed a Hatchlift system on our front bulkhead compartment. Www.hatchlift.com. I purchased 2 sets of the "medium slide" version from Camping World, and we installed in about 30 minutes. They come with the metal plate to attach to the door and a couple of mounting options for the strut. Very easy, work great!

I plan to buy for the other 2 doors soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

The gas struts put alot of pre-load on the cargo bay door hinges, and stress the door too. My big horn had these, and I removed them. When I shut the doors, the lifting force applied by the struts actually caused my doors to not seal at the bottom, when closed.

I went with the the magnets mounted to the outside of doors and the side of the coach system, they are using on the new gateway fivers. I called and ordered them from heartland after seeing them on a gateway coach at a show. Open the door and these magnets system grab and hold it open. Plus there is no way they will never wear out.