Gateway Air conditioning prob.

This might be off topic if so sorry for that I need a little help I just bought a 3650bh and in the back room when I close the vent to the ac and send all the cool air threw the ducts only the 2 vents in the back room hardly blow one I can barely feel on my face but needless to say if it goes threw the ducts then that bunkhouse in now a sona I just got this a 2017 so I'm not sure if something is wrong or its just how it was made please help

jimtoo

Hi Jeremy1990,

I moved your post to the correct area and started a thread for you. You should get better info here.

Jim M

GWRam

This might be off topic if so sorry for that I need a little help I just bought a 3650bh and in the back room when I close the vent to the ac and send all the cool air threw the ducts only the 2 vents in the back room hardly blow one I can barely feel on my face but needless to say if it goes threw the ducts then that bunkhouse in now a sona I just got this a 2017 so I'm not sure if something is wrong or its just how it was made please help

Jeremy1990
Unless they have changed something drastically you have a duct issue.
Quite a few people have looked up into their ducts and found blockages and or major air leaks into the ceiling.
I haven't taken the time to use my remote camera to look into our ducts yet, but I have it in the camper to look when I have time.

If your out camping now and want a cool camper here is what we do most of the time. In the bunk house Open the vent on the bottom of the unit and the unit will suck in and blow out all from the bunk house ceiling. Our bunk house is usually 20+ degrees below outside temp. With 118* at lake mead this summer we had the bunk house at 73*. Make sure when setting the main thermostat, which controls the bunk room that you set the fan to high. Low fan speed can lead to frozen coils.
Keep the bunk house door open to allow the cold air to flow to the main living area. We have two small fans (maybe 8") on the rear wall shelf blowing toward the bunk house door opening.

The master bedroom AC unit thermostat is in the master and we set the fan on high and 70* and for quick cool down of master bedroom open the vent on the bottom of the unit. Then when nice and cool and depending on the outside temp we sometimes close the master bedroom unit vent and the air will trickle out of the vents in the bathroom and living area ceiling. Most times we leave the unit vent open and leave the master bedroom door open and set a fan on the floor in front of the washer/dryer doors and blow the cold air out of the room along the floor into the living area.

Airflow out of our ceiling vents is very little if we leave the AC unit vents closed like they should be and even less when the AC unit vents are open. But with AC unit vents open we are getting the cold air out of the units. We were able to get the main living area to 78* which doesn't sound great but it was 118 outside not a cloud in the sky and no trees for shade, bunkhouse was in the low 70's. In temps around 100* or less the wife and kids have blankets to wrap up in when watching tv. I like the camper cool as I can get it.

Yeah pretty much what you have said is what we are doing for the most part but i would much rather it just work is a 2017 I got just last week and I'm in Oklahoma working from Texas and the main living in the camper I would say gets up to about 80-90 on a 100+ day.... So tell me this. How cool would the camper stay with all the ducts are blowing cool then?

Bones

I patched the duct inside the ceiling area and that lets a lot of air blow through my vents now. Remove inner ceiling shroud which will give you access to the ducts connecting the air conditioner. Make sure the area supplying air is sealed. use duct tape to help seal to the duct. Next make sure the separation panel is in place to separate the suction side from the discharge side. Once done put the interior panel back up and test the system out. If the sun is beating on the camper in the rear our back room does get warmer. What I do then sometimes is open the dump vent for a little while and close it back up.

I'll look into doing that i mean it doesn't get crazy hot it's manageable but it's only been hitting temps in the triple ditget I would just like to have everything in the ducts rather blow into that black room and the fact I bought it last week lol

Bones

Dave,
He should have 2 just like me. a 15k in the rear and a 13.5k in the front

Yes I do and I have both vents open to the units open and a fan in the bunk house blowing cool air out and same in my master room

justafordguy

When I had our rear unit fail the first time I spent some time checking the sealing tape on all vents and the main duct from the unit to the air duct system. The tape was poorly installed and the divider between the intake and outlet of the unit was not sealed well. I used 3M foil duct tape and sealed everything up and the increase in air flow through the vents was amazing. I did the same thing to the front unit. I also installed adjustable vents in the bathrooms so I could shut them down some so it wouldn't get so cold in there.

Well so I figured out the problem me and a friend got together and started to look ran a camera threw the ducts everything was good so we couldn't figure out what the **** the problem was until we pulled off the small vent covers and and folded the foil over on the inside and made **** of a difference and so I checked all my other vents that I though blew well they are blowing even more now so I got some foil tape to tape down the ducts by the vent to stop it from going under the roof