Gear ratio 4:10 or 3:73??

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Purchase when it's needed.
I'd say my Ford uses 5gal every 4-5k when towing. Probably get 5-6k city driving. I'm sure all brands give messages/warnings. At 500 miles to go I get a reminder I need DEF. I think the last warning is at 50 miles to go then the engine either goes into low power mode or just shuts down. I'd have to review the owners manual to be sure.
Don't know how efficient the Rams are.

How big is the Ford DEF tank?

- - - Updated - - -

What gearing did you go with? I get def when I'm at a quarter tank. If I am going on a trip I will buy a case and carry it with me. Outside that you can get def almost anywhere now so it is not a big deal. When you fill up at truck stops you can get DEF.

4:10

- - - Updated - - -

I have 16,000 KM on mine and I am on my second gallon of DEF. Obviously I haven't done a ton of towing yet so the consumption will probably go up. I always top my DEF tank up when it is half full.
Thanks for the info.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
They say 5 gal. No gauge. Message center provides various statuses.
I buy DEF by the 2 1/2 gallon jug when the message center says I have less than half a tank. The only time it's FULL is when I take it to the Ford dealer for periodic service and they top off the tank. It's definitely not a major expenditure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Going across the country and been in the middle of know where and needed DEF. I usually carry 2.5Gal with me. I didn't bother getting some sine I could get it almost anywhere. Well I could at $27.00 for 2.5 gallons. I always carry 5 gallons in the front bay now.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Going across the country and been in the middle of know where and needed DEF. I usually carry 2.5Gal with me. I didn't bother getting some sine I could get it almost anywhere. Well I could at $27.00 for 2.5 gallons. I always carry 5 gallons in the front bay now.

I think I've seen DEF at Walmart.

I checked my Fords owner manual and the first warning you need DEF is at 500 miles remaining. Prior to that the driver has to scroll through the message center to note DEF amount in the tank. I've been from the east coast to Alaska and back, have 65K on the truck and the only time I carried a 2.5 gal spare was from Washington to Alaska and Alaska back to Montana.
DEF is in all auto parts Walmart and others. Bought some in The Anchorage Cabelas for $14. Most I ever paid...

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
So, last week I did a short test drive of a RAM with the 4:10 and one with the 3:73. Only about 10 miles each. That's all I could squeeze out of the salesman. Couldn't tell anything noticeable between the 2 while empty. Just wanted to see if I could notice any difference around town. One was a 2500 CC with the 3:73 and one was a 3500 regular cab with the 4:10. Both trucks rode and handled completely different. That's what I noticed most. Duallies are few and far between around here, so finding identical trucks with different ratios is almost impossible.

Bones

So, last week I did a short test drive of a RAM with the 4:10 and one with the 3:73. Only about 10 miles each. That's all I could squeeze out of the salesman. Couldn't tell anything noticeable between the 2 while empty. Just wanted to see if I could notice any difference around town. One was a 2500 CC with the 3:73 and one was a 3500 regular cab with the 4:10. Both trucks rode and handled completely different. That's what I noticed most. Duallies are few and far between around here, so finding identical trucks with different ratios is almost impossible.
You'll see me this weekend. Your welcome to drive my truck to see what you think.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
Remember to check tire sizes. Duallys from the factory will have smaller tires on them than factory SRW trucks. That will change axle ratios to some degree.

Bill & Irene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I love the 4.10 rear end in my truck . . .

Gotta have it pulling around here in the Rockies.

Plus it'll beat all of those little rice burner fast and furious wannabe's on the green light!