Gear ratio 4:10 or 3:73??

Gaffer

I would go with the 4.10 ratio. You will not see much difference in fuel mpg with the Cummins.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
On my phone I can't see the pics, but if it's red, it's a winner! Love our red GMC, looks really good with the cream colored rig. (Our new BC)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
It's all just paper numbers Jamie, all that maters is what you have to pay difference. Check around and figure out what the invoice is and go from there.

The dealer could say they're giving you $5k more but it boils down to the monthly payments and total paid out for the new shiny one!!

Yeah. It's all in the numbers. But the numbers are looking pretty good.

1_oldgoat

I hve towed our Gateway with an '07 Ram 1 ton srw with 3.73, and with my '13 Ram 1 ton drw with 4.10, drw is way more stable in any wind conditions, mileage is really the same, no major change, towing anyway, i installed an Edge tuner on both trucks, the Juice model with color screen, simple plug and play install and it dosn't reprogram the factory ECU, just goes inline and changes some signals from sensors to the ECU and improves performance noticeably. Mileage increase is about 2.5 mpg both towing and empty. Anyway back to the 4.10 rear end ratio, i love it on my Ram, pulling over the pass's is a huge improvement, i don't think i would ever go back to anything else after towing with both.

JWalker

The spec sheet shows a GVRW of 14,000 pounds on the combination I am looking at. Does that sound about right?

JWalker

GCWR with 4:10 is 39100

- - - Updated - - -

I hve towed our Gateway with an '07 Ram 1 ton srw with 3.73, and with my '13 Ram 1 ton drw with 4.10, drw is way more stable in any wind conditions, mileage is really the same, no major change, towing anyway, i installed an Edge tuner on both trucks, the Juice model with color screen, simple plug and play install and it dosn't reprogram the factory ECU, just goes inline and changes some signals from sensors to the ECU and improves performance noticeably. Mileage increase is about 2.5 mpg both towing and empty. Anyway back to the 4.10 rear end ratio, i love it on my Ram, pulling over the pass's is a huge improvement, i don't think i would ever go back to anything else after towing with both.

Thanks. I think the 4:10 is what I'm leaning towards. I live about 20 miles from the highest point in PA. So every trip is down then back up the mountain and rolling hills in between. Not really worried about a tuner. I hoping 385hp and 900lb/ft will be enough.

1_oldgoat

Thats a great choice, and the heavy duty Ram will work just fine, i towed stock for a while before installing the tuner, after having it on my '07 i just missed having the extra power and torque plus the increased fuel mileage is nice as well. Stock set up i was averageing around 10mpg towing and with the tuner now get 12.5 or so, same increase not towing, about 2.5 across the board. Had i not installed a tuner on the '07 i would have been very happy with the 2013 stock but like i said the power gains are very noticeable so i put one on the new truck and waht a difference, anyway this was about rear end ratios not tuners, the biggest difference i noticed was when pulling any steep grade, the 3.73 seemed to kick down or hunt to find the right gear to get up a hill, not so with the 4.10's, the truck just keeps on moving as fast as you want to roll and and stays in high gear, like i said i doubt i would ever go back to something with taller gears now after towing with this set up.

Aandaar

I have but one question. I know getting a new truck is always great. But how come nobody mentions a new gear install? Heck of a lot cheaper than a new one.

Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

Squirlee

What are you going to pull, where and how often. 4:10 is better if you are maxing the weight but if you want some mileage when empty 3:37 is good.

I am pulling a 15,000 gross trailer weight on a 2015 RAM and I have a 3:42 rear end. I can't hardly tell the trailer is there.

Bones

I have but one question. I know getting a new truck is always great. But how come nobody mentions a new gear install? Heck of a lot cheaper than a new one.

A new gear install is cheaper. But sometimes it is not just the gears but the whole package including tranny. Horsepower and creature comforts. In my case I had an issues with being overloaded.

1_oldgoat

My reasons were simple, the '07 i had was starting to give me trouble, turbo speed sensor went out 3 times in 30 miles, dealer couldn't fix it right, again more incompetance, but thats a soap box i don't want to get on right now, i went from a bumper pull to the Gateway, so more weight, and my '07 was a srw 1 ton, i stepped up and got a smok8n deal on a leftover 2013 that a dealer in north Idaho had on the lot, didn't have many to choose from but i went with the heavy duty dually, aiasin trans, with the cummins, my '07 had the cummins as well, anyway i needed a new truck that i could depend on, nothing worse than being broke down somewhere and making what is supposed to be a fun trip not so fun......

JWalker

What are you going to pull, where and how often. 4:10 is better if you are maxing the weight but if you want some mileage when empty 3:37 is good.

I am pulling a 15,000 gross trailer weight on a 2015 RAM and I have a 3:42 rear end. I can't hardly tell the trailer is there.

A new gear install is cheaper. But sometimes it is not just the gears but the whole package including tranny. Horsepower and creature comforts. In my case I had an issues with being overloaded.

We are looking at the whole package.

Right now now we are just under our max on tow rating. Truck does fine with the load but you can really tell its back there in the mountains. Ok on payload. The 2016 has nearly double the tow rating and 2000lbs more in gvrw.
Also, when we bought the truck 6 years ago, Madison was 8 and space and amenities where not as big of concern. Now she is 14 and she uses every electronic known to man. So Bluetooth, ports and plug ins are a big selling point. The larger crew cab is also very nice.

Bad news, the closest truck with the specs we want is in Southern North Carolina. 8-10 weeks to order one. ��

chaplady

I know dealers make swap out maybe your dealer can make a deal with dealer in South Carolina to get truck with specs you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops north Carolina my bad

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I know dealers make swap out maybe your dealer can make a deal with dealer in South Carolina to get truck with specs you want.

- - - Updated - - -

They do...Nancy's latest car (to get all the gadgets she wanted) came from a NY dealer on a swap.

jnbhobe

Jamie, I do dealer trades all the time, Have them look again and limit the options in the search, some times a loaded truck will show up that's not in a detailed search.

JWalker

- - - Updated - - -

They do...Nancy's latest car (to get all the gadgets she wanted) came from a NY dealer on a swap.

Oh no, I don't want someone else putting on a few hundred miles on my new truck. Lol.

Btw, is there a break in mileage before you should tow?

Just st boing the math, 8 weeks would hit right over the PA rally. ��

jnbhobe

Oh no, I don't want someone else putting on a few hundred miles on my new truck. Lol.

Btw, is there a break in mileage before you should tow?

Just st boing the math, 8 weeks would hit right over the PA rally. ��

Yep there is, Drive it like you stole it !!!!!!:cool: