General lack of quality

WalkTheLine

I just purchased a Prowler Lynx and while it is very nice, I can tell where corners were cut to keep costs down. For example, last week one of the taillight covers fell off somewhere on I-55. When I looked at the assembly, the lens cover just snaps on instead of being secured by fasteners (screws). It wouldn't have cost much to have more heavy duty light components especially since the lights are a legal requirement. Just FWIW but for the price we paid, I can't complain too much.

donr827

The snap on light covers that I had were snap on also. I always was a little worried about breaking the lens trying to take it off. Would prefer the screws also but not a deal breaker.
Don

BigGuy82

Never again Two blown hydraulic hoses under bed, fridge can't keep anything frozen much less cold, delamination in several places, constant water lines leaking, two windows have leaked, cheapest carpet made, poor quality workmanship, needs a new ladder, manufacture can not guarantee what ladder was put on it, propane hose rupture, hot water element went out, air mattress leaked first use (at seams). Manual is useless, you would think they could make it model specific. Toilet valve failed, drawers will not stay in during travel, finish coming off cabinets. Wiring behind main panel looks as if it's cheap Chinese extension cord ( looks like a rats nest). In general you can tell they don't care how it's put together as long as it stays together long enough to unload it on the consumer. Hoping to find a low bridge somewhere.2012 3510RL
Some personal observations here:Your info says you joined in 2012 yet only have one post, so clearly you are talking about 6 years worth of problems. Given that, your list does not seem excessive and in fact probably includes normal maintenance and operating procedures that you did not perform. Some examples:
  • "fridge can't keep anything frozen much less cold" - are you running it when the coach is level or when parked in the driveway, perhaps at an angle? Have you performed the recommended annual maintenance as recommended in fridge manual?
  • cheapest carpet made - six years out of standard grade carpeting isn't bad, depending on level of use of course. Also, replacement is easy.
  • Delamination and leaking windows - have you performed the suggested annual inspection of all caulked joints and then cleaned and re-caulked as necessary?
  • New ladder - of course the manufacturer can't tell you what brand of ladder they installed six years ago. Also, have you hung anything (like a bicycle) off the ladder?
  • hydarulic and propane hoses - these things do wear over time and should be inspected annually and replaced as necessary.
  • hot water element went out - after 6 years? Not surprising. Also, you didn't happen to turn on the 120 element when the tank was empty did you?
  • air matress leaks - is that a factory air mattress? I didn't know that Heartland used them.
  • "manual is useless" - it's generic. You can call Heartland for secifics regarding your unit and in my experience, they will be happy to assist, giving you advice and sending appropriate documentation when requested
  • toilet valve failed - after 6 years? Not at all surprising and falls under normal maintenance.
  • drawers will not stay in - so just adjust them or replace the retaining hardware. This stuff does wear out after several years and repeated use
  • sloppy wiring - totally agree - this seems to be a Heartland trademark. Many of us have invested a few hours in cleaning this up with wire ties and looms and it's no big deal. However, Heartland really should look at this as a huge area for improvement.
  • finding a low bridge - hopefully, you were being facetious
End of the day, consider how many repairs you have made on your home in 6 years. Then look at your list for your coach and consider that it is towed over rough roads, experiencing multiple starts/stops and is not constructed to be as robust as any house. I'd say that:
  1. you've got very little to complain about
  2. you have unrealistic expectations from a six year old coach
Solutions: for you, it seems that perhaps you don't want to continue the RV lifestyle, so you should sell the unit.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our ElkRidge was 6 years old when we traded it. If I had to recount the things we did through those years, I consider most of them opportunities for upgrades, not failures to blame on the manufacturer. We were lucky we never had any major appliances truly fail. But we did upgrade things like our water pump, all the faucets, TV, sound system, battery, door locks, springs, suspension and axles, vent fan, shower head, toilet, mattress, and fireplace, just to name a few. We had our share of other issues but never once let those interfere with our travels or our love for rving. It's all perspective!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Funny...this thread has been up for about three weeks and he hasn't been back.

BigGuy82

Ha, Well we could tell you a long story about the problems we had in "The Best Built Trailer" = Airstream. Without going into details, how about 43 Warranty items on a 2017 Classic. Top of the line unit!. And that was only one of the visits. Had to go to the Factory and leave it for 10 Days. Not what you would expect, right?

In our new Landmark with 1500 miles we've only had a few minor items that we taken care of at the dealer. The Landmark has proven itself as a quality built trailer. It's an RV and things are going to go wrong, we should understand that going in, right.

I believe that most things that fail are supplier issues, not as a result of poor manufacturing. (but some that are really really bad)

If you really want big problems buy a Big Saltwater Boat! Been there, enjoyed it, sold it!

Enjoy It and Smile, Life is Short, No Promise for Tomorrow.

Paul and Nancy

First time I have ever heard a complaint about an Airstream. The few owners I've spoken to at various campgrounds loved theirs. Interesting. My guess is that the newer versions of pretty much everything are made with the maximum amount of corners cut.

CLB

Never again Two blown hydraulic hoses under bed, fridge can't keep anything frozen much less cold, delamination in several places, constant water lines leaking, two windows have leaked, cheapest carpet made, poor quality workmanship, needs a new ladder, manufacture can not guarantee what ladder was put on it, propane hose rupture, hot water element went out, air mattress leaked first use (at seams). Manual is useless, you would think they could make it model specific. Toilet valve failed, drawers will not stay in during travel, finish coming off cabinets. Wiring behind main panel looks as if it's cheap Chinese extension cord ( looks like a rats nest). In general you can tell they don't care how it's put together as long as it stays together long enough to unload it on the consumer. Hoping to find a low bridge somewhere.
2012 3510RL
I understand and I gave up on finding information from the factory. Try to find a wiring diagram for any model. I just figure it out as I need to and if it needs fixed I do it right.

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

CLB

It's not just heartland there build quality is much better than some I work on. I just wish I could find one for sale where the price matched the build quality or lack of. I can do most anything to one these. I had a long list of mods to do before winter but now I don't have a trailer anymore

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

If all that happened to me in 6 yrs I would still be ******.

And he never confirmed or denied that all happened at once or throughout the years. Guess you're different than we are - if something goes wrong, we fix it and move on. Hanging onto what happened over a 6 year period isn't healthy.

Martha

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
One post and hasn't returned. Very odd. Obviously didn't want help, just to bash.

We had our ElkRidge almost 6 years. If I count all the issues up over that time, it seems like a lot! But we loved that rig and learned a lot about what you can and can't expect from an rv. We used the heck out of it, going "somewhere" nearly every month, then living in it fulltime the last year and a half. We considered each hiccup as an adventure, and we overcame and moved on. We upgraded so many things along the way, she was much better than new in many areas. Sold by the dealer in less than 3 weeks, after trading in, even if she didn't shine like new and had a few blemishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk