Generator for my fridge

Mike-n-Justina

We just installed a Samsung RF18 French door refrigerator. We haven't installed an inverter yet. I was wondering if my Honda portable 2000 watt generator would be enough to power the fridge for longer trips until we get the inverter installed?

LBR

The generator should be good for the fridge and some minor battery charging thru the convertor, but you should do a trial and error first before taking out onto the road and trusting it.

If the 2K is in Eco mode, it may not follow the fridge demand quickly enough when the compressor starts, thereby kicking the generator out due to too much demand. If this happens, take the 2K out of Eco mode, letting it run full bullet on RPMs all the time to supply enough to the compressor. This should cover the compressor demand.

Mike-n-Justina

I will hook it up tonight and give it a try.
I didn't want to buy the companion if I didn't have to. Thanks.
The generator should be good for the fridge and some minor battery charging thru the convertor, but you should do a trial and error first before taking out onto the road and trusting it.

If the 2K is in Eco mode, it may not follow the fridge demand quickly enough when the compressor starts, thereby kicking the generator out due to too much demand. If this happens, take the 2K out of Eco mode, letting it run full bullet on RPMs all the time to supply enough to the compressor. This should cover the compressor demand.

hoefler

Most refridgerators will pull less than 700 watts, our big fridge in our kitchen pulls 630 watts. You can purchase a 750-1000 watt invertor for less than $50 and would be easier to rig up for travel than trying to run a generator.

avvidclif

That's running watts. The startup wattage is what causes most inverters a problem. I doubt a 1000w would have enough surge capacity. Have to look closely at the specs.

Mike-n-Justina

We already have an inverter and transfer switch in our Amazon wish list, just don't have time to get it installed. We have a trip to Myrtle Beach planned for this weekend. The inverter will be in before our trips next summer. So what size inverter should we go with? I was thinking 1000 watt but maybe a 2000 watt. I read somewhere on here a 2000 drains your batteries faster than a 1000. Would that be true?

Oregon_Camper

We already have an inverter and transfer switch in our Amazon wish list, just don't have time to get it installed. We have a trip to Myrtle Beach planned for this weekend. The inverter will be in before our trips next summer. So what size inverter should we go with? I was thinking 1000 watt but maybe a 2000 watt. I read somewhere on here a 2000 drains your batteries faster than a 1000. Would that be true?

A 2000w inverter has the potential to draw more power, but it depends on how you use it. The quality of the inverter will also have a HUGE impact on battery consumption. A low cost (not efficient) inverter will save you some $$ now, but will cost you amp hours.

I just installed the GoPower IC2000 and think that would be a great solution for you, seeing how you haven't purchased the inverter and transfer switch yet.

I LOVE this thing!! They claim you can also run 1 Air Conditioning unit using the IC2000 AND your Honda generator. I have the small Yamaha EF2000 generator and can't wait to try it.

You can watch my YouTube video about the GoPower IC2000 device here. Installing this will take you less than 1/2 the time it would take to install an inverter and separate transfer switch (trust me...I just did both installs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjevQ10M97Y

I also did a transfer switch video for our blog (before I did the IC2000), you can watch that video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTjOECEhYDM

Mike-n-Justina

A 2000w inverter has the potential to draw more power, but it depends on how you use it. The quality of the inverter will also have a HUGE impact on battery consumption. A low cost (not efficient) inverter will save you some $$ now, but will cost you amp hours.

I just installed the GoPower IC2000 and think that would be a great solution for you, seeing how you haven't purchased the inverter and transfer switch yet.

I LOVE this thing!! They claim you can also run 1 Air Conditioning unit using the IC2000 AND your Honda generator. I have the small Yamaha EF2000 generator and can't wait to try it.

You can watch my YouTube video about the GoPower IC2000 device here. Installing this will take you less than 1/2 the time it would take to install an inverter and separate transfer switch (trust me...I just did both installs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjevQ10M97Y

I also did a transfer switch video for our blog (before I did the IC2000), you can watch that video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTjOECEhYDM

Thanks. We will have to watch your videos tonight. Not having a seperate transfer switch will be nice.

asherwin

I have a Samlex 2000 PSW inverter along with a 30A transfer switch to power my Samsung 18cf refer and some 110V outlets (on same circuit) when not on shore power or generator. Have had zero issues

hoefler

That's running watts. The startup wattage is what causes most inverters a problem. I doubt a 1000w would have enough surge capacity. Have to look closely at the specs.

No, that is total max watts. I run an apartment fridge in my work trailer every day off a 750 watt invertor, also 3 Dewalt battery chargers and the 700 watt microwave occasionaly. Been running this setup for better than 12 years.