Generator/Inverter needs

Jim.Allison

If you dont have a box its ok, the LP 5500 is enclosed, go look at how one is installed perhaps look at a gen preped model to see what gen prepped looks like.

This week I rode a narrow gauge railroad from Chama NM to Antonito Colorado. On one of the cars they had a large Honda powering the restaurant car. It was very quiet and compact for 4000 to 5000 watts, and it had a built in connector for the 30 amp cord, 240 50 amp and a couple of 120 outlets. Your post crossed my mind in that if you had that Honda you could just run your cord to the gen and plug in and no transfer switch would be required. I did not realize that it was such a good generator.

But I thought you said your trailer was gen prepped? if it is then it is prepped for the onan.

UPDATE: I tried a neighbor's Yamaha 3000w genny with the boost technology, but the 15,000 BTU Dometic Brisk II would not kick-off at altitude. Unfortunately, I didn't see John McCall's reply regarding the hard-start capacitor in time. I went with the Yamaha 4500w genny. This thing is big! ~230lbs with a full gas tank. Unbelievably quite for a large generator. Obviously, I have no problems kicking off the generator. The size difference between the 3000 and 4500 is very substantial, almost laughable. If the hard start capacitor is that easy to install, I might just put one in and see if the 3000w Yamaha will kick it on. I love Denver, but living at altitude has its drawbacks.

Regarding the LP generator install: I don't have a dedicated compartment in the Sundance 3600. The tech says it's a "big deal" to cut one in and build a housing. That sounds like a pain. Perhaps I'll look for a future unit with a compartment built in.