Generator suggestions needed.

campntn

Hey Jim, do I get some sort of award for starting a thread that has gotten 1073 views and 39 posts?? hahah.
Mark
Oh, by the way, I got the Champion..thought I'd get to use it yesterday with the storms rolling thru, but I didn't..mixed emotions there. ;)

snuffy

Hey Jim, do I get some sort of award for starting a thread that has gotten 1073 views and 39 posts?? hahah.
Mark
Oh, by the way, I got the Champion..thought I'd get to use it yesterday with the storms rolling thru, but I didn't..mixed emotions there. ;)

Have you cranked it up and checked the noise level?

campntn

Oh yea, cranked on first pull. Noise level? Well, I don't have a "meter". I do have friends with ears who came over and said he was VERRRYYY surprised at how quiet it was. Quiet? No..it's not "quiet" but I have hear louder and I have heard quieter.
For me and mine, for $289.00, it's just fine.
Sorry, I don't have a more scientific measurement for you, but that's about as good as I can do.
I like it..a lot..and I like even more yesterday knowing as the storms blowed thru that I had electricity in the trailer if it went off in our home.

jbeletti

Okay Mark - you have earned one "virtual" cookie. Congratulations! Let us know how it tasted :D

Seriously though - yes, nice thread. If I got a dollar for every view, I'd be retired now...

Have you been following the thread on RV.net about the guy that put a standard gen in his 5er and is working on projects to quiet it, exhaust it, cool it etc.? He's done a great job. A lot of it by trial and error but he plugs away at it. It may cost him more $ in the end but he has given a lot of other people great ideas on what works and what does not work. Here's a link.

Jim

StevieWonder

Checked out the link ...

WAY too much work for me but the guy has a GREAT setup with what appears to be good airflow in and out. Going to be a major pain in the rear if his generator craps out and they don't make that specific model any longer. Another engineering job facing him but this is a nice adaptation for minimal $$$.

campntn

Well, hey...that's a setup now. I like ingenuity. It does give you lots of ideas though, huh?
Thanks for that link.
Mark

J

Jim_1899

I have a champion 3500 generator and it has helped me a number of times. Especially when my battery is low and I need to raise the RV to hitch it up. I need to look at purchasing a solar battery charger. Its nice knowing that I always have power if stopping for lunch or for a break from driving. It just takes one pull sometimes more to start the generator, and then after connecting the electric cord your in business.

Last edited:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
New Generator -Gas-Diesel-Propane

I asked last week opinions on what type of generator i will need for my 2009 BH 3400RE and because i got the major gen prep from heartland i would like to know which one i the cleanest and quietest. I am leaning, based on my rv dealer and the calif rep to get the Onan 5500 marquis gold LP. i have alot of bells and whistles incl a 42'tv, fireplace, coffee maker A/C, and most importantly a sleep apnea machine I have to wear when I sleep (thanks to Vietnam), etc so i wish not to have it all shut down on me. any thoughts? I, again am the rookie living in San Clemente.

Larry and Debbi Kuhn
2008 Ford F-250 Diesel 4x2
2009 BH 3400RE

jpmorgan37

Larry;

That is an excellent choice. I would recommend putting a 100 pound cylinder in your tow vehicle to support the Onan. With that, you will not be concerned with running out of propane in the short term.

John

Larryheadhunter

Jim,
I have been told I should get a Onan 5500 Marquis Gold LP with a 100 lb tank. Is propane quieter? I have to use a sleep apnea machine all night, so I am concerned about noise and how long they last timewise. I know on the 2009 big horn 3400RE the generator is just below the bedroom. There is also alot of power needed with that 42" TV Any suggestions?
Also, do you have any thoughts as I am a total rookie, on what supplies and necessities I might need on my first outing once i get my rig? I probably will go to parks with hookups for the first year but I want to be prepared for dry camping especially in the beach areas.

I ordered it in September at the Pomona show and its supposed to come off line Jan 17th. Maybe I will eventually get it by the end of Jan 2008 so I can go to the meeting in Anaheim Hills Feb 23rd. Do you know what items I should have from the dealership, while searching for financing, RV Insurance, Gap Insurance if necessary,etc.

Larry and Debbi Kuhn
San Clemente, CA
949-366-9610

2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab short Bed Lariat Diesel
2009 Big Horn 3400RE (evenually)

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Larry, I too use a CPAP and we have a Generac Quietpac 6500 installed in the front compartment of our BH 3400RE. It is gasoline driven and I use a boat fuel tank which holds about six gallons and gives about ten hours of run time. It is very quiet, enough that the DW comments on it, and doesn't cause any sleep problems. I have used it often whenever we couldn't access a campground and had to spend some nights in a truckstop or something. After operating it all night, watching tv, making breakfast, heating shower water, drying the DW hair and using the MCW for coffee I simply refuel it whenever I refuel the TV. BTW the 6500 watts will operate everything in the rig at pretty much the same time. One good thing about this genny is that it only weighs about 210 LBS.

Larryheadhunter

Thanks obscure for your info. We had to turn down a chance to go dry camping this weekend with some friends with a weekend warrior past mojave desert because he refuses to run his genny all nite.
Since my truck is going to be diesel, and heartland recommends the 5500Onan LP whats your take on propane? Heartland prepped my rig for a genny so do they make the Generac Quietpac 6500 in LP? I am a rookie so any advice is well taken.

Larry
2008 Ford F-250 4x2 Crew Cab Lariat Diesel
2009 Big Horn 3400RE

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Larry, I don't know for sure if the Generac QP is available in propane or not. I don't really remember the discussion about gas or propane so I won't be any help there. It is designed for RV use so there must be a propane version available. We don't boondock so I don't carry a lot of fuel, only enough for an overnight stop somewhere other than a CG. I don't know the consumption rate of propane so I don't know how much you'd need to carry above your two tanks. I guess I'm not really that helpful at the moment, but I will go over to the dealership and ask them about it for you then give you a buzz here.

snuffy

Propane is not as effecient as gas powered and therefore takes a lot more propane. I've heard motorhomers say they'd never buy a propane genset again because of the high fuel consumption.

which generator?

A friend of mine uses a CPAP machine at night, they use one of the car jumper packs which has a 12V outlet and plug in a 200 watt inverter. It runs the CPAP for usually two nights with out recharging. I use the same type of power pack to run my wood pellet barbecue grill. Sure would be alot cheaper and quieter than running your generator all night.
Mark

Loco

LP units do burn more fuel than gas units. Our rig as 5.5 Owan and we run it 24 hours a day in the summer when at rallies and it will run for 4 days on 28 gals of gas most of the time. Last trip we started it at 9am Thursday and it ran non stop till Sunday around 2pm when I check the tank gauge it was showing empty so I added 5 gals and it ran till 8pm when we got home with the rig. We run our ac in the rig while we are on the road because the dog and cat ride in the trailer. But I we do not fuel our Harleys from fill station when we are on the long rallies. I leave that fuel for genset only.

I also am looking at gensets. I ordered my trailer with the gen prep package and I am considering installing a Yamaha 3000 inverter type converted to propane. Anyone done this? What are the pitfalls? Other than weight it looks good to me.

JER-1

I got stuck with the big gen only one left and had to buy

At the Bristol nascar races last august, I came with a brand new genny from e-bay black max 4500 surge and I think 3500 constant worked great for fist day came back one night blew and oil seal didn't have 20 hours on it,man I was you know.Ran the AC off the neighbors genny all night Got up next morning 6 am hit every store in bristol I think that sells gen ,they were all sold out last stop at a tractor supply store had one briggs and stration 13,500 watt max surge with 8000 constant running gen I did not wanna pay the 1200.00 bucks for it. but had to have it 100 degree days had 2 dogs at campground I managed to con the guy down to 1100.00 and he wrote it up taxless as farm use. But I wouldn't trade it for anything electric start just pusk the switch fires right up I did change the oil to synthetic, start it up every week or 2 it's the best, run house off it everything camping you could think of, a little heavy about 175 lbs. But with this new 280 BH toy hauler I pick up next week just roll it right up the ramp back between the dinette and ride the motorcyle right up in it tie em down and ready to go.If you have a long enough cord and buy the gas 3 or 4 of ya can just plug into my little gen will all be find. It is a great gen on wheels of course.
JER-1

RubiconAg

Well we purchased two Honda EU2000i's and the parrallel kit with a 30 amp rv plug. We will take delivery on them on Tues and will try them out this weekend.