Generator while moving?

Dloebrich

Hi all, I am a new Cyclone owner and I am wondering if it is ok to run the generator while towing? If so then is it ok to use the frig and AC units? Thanks, Dan

danemayer

Hi Dloebrich,

Congratulations on the new Cyclone. Let me divide the answer.

If you have Norcold or Dometic RV gas absorption refrigerator, it runs off either 110V or propane, so you can run it while towing whether or not the generator is running. Many people do so, although some leave it off while towing for safety reasons. If you do run it on propane, keep in mind that while running on propane there's open flame just inside the side wall of the trailer. If you pull up to a gas pump, there's some exposure to igniting gas vapor. Diesel is not as explosive as gasoline, but the guy on the other side of the island could be pumping gasoline. So it's smart to shut off the frig when refueling.

If you have the new Residential Refrigerator Option, it will run on battery while towing, so you don't need the generator for that.

To run the A/C, you would have to run the generator. I've done that with our Propane generator on a 98 degree day but didn't find it very effective. When we got to the campground, it was still hot and took a long time to cool the trailer down. Others have found it helpful.

Rodbuster

I have used my generator to run the AC while we are on the road.

Dan, you mentioned that when using yours to cool down the unit that it wasn't that effective. I found that interesting. We start up our generator on a real hot day about 2 hours before we arrive at our campground and it makes a substantial difference in the temperature.

Dick

scottyb

Most of my towing is in very hot weather during the summer months. I also start the generator at least an hour before arriving. I never turn off my fridge. In fact, my fridge runs year round while parked at home.

danemayer

I have used my generator to run the AC while we are on the road.

Dan, you mentioned that when using yours to cool down the unit that it wasn't that effective. I found that interesting. We start up our generator on a real hot day about 2 hours before we arrive at our campground and it makes a substantial difference in the temperature.

Dick

Dick,

You know those really hot days where it's 100 when you're setting up at 5pm and the coach doesn't really get comfortable until between 8 and 9. I was hoping that running the A/C for the last 2 hours would significantly shorten the cool down time. It may have, but if so, the difference didn't seem to me to be all that significant.

Sumo

I've done this on more than one occasion. Works for me when the temps are 90 to 100 degrees.

Rodbuster

Dick,

You know those really hot days where it's 100 when you're setting up at 5pm and the coach doesn't really get comfortable until between 8 and 9. I was hoping that running the A/C for the last 2 hours would significantly shorten the cool down time. It may have, but if so, the difference didn't seem to me to be all that significant.

Dan, with all the help that you have given so many people, I think that I have an idea that will help you.

Cut down on the "Tobasco" in your Bloody Mary.

Your buddy,
Dick