Generator

rjfrider

Didn't know about the Bolly or Kipor - the prices are way reasonable compared to other gens I've shopped for. rider

ricatic

If you go to the Trailer Lifr forum and search for the Chinese generator thread you will have several evenings worth of reading. Last time I looked it was like 700 pages.

CFieguth

I carry my Boliy generator on a 26 inch wide x 22 inch tray that goes into my receiver. Bought a Camping World cover for it and strap it all down with adjustable straps and bungee cords.

The problem is that I need to unhook and pull away from the trailer about 3 feet or so that I have enough room to pull the start cord, otherwise I can't get it started and once it is flooded it is very hard to start. I bought the Boliy last August and they now have an electric start available for about another $200. I strongly advise that the extra money is worth getting rid of the hassle of handstarting. If a remote start is available; get that too! Altogether, you would still be a lot less than a Honda or Yamaha (about $800 or so).

I bought my Boliy for $850 USD, plus $100 shipping to Canada through EBay.

CFieguth
Currently in Willcox, AZ and heading to Yuma tomorrow

RubiconAg

You will find plenty of my postings about our Honda 2000i's and how much we love them, by all means you get what you pay for. We had a friend show up at our last tailgate party with a cheaper (can't remember the brand) 2000 that was litterally still in the box. He spent all weekend messing around with the **** thing and on the second to last day the unit just quit. I along with my mechanic father of 30+ years in the business could not get the thing going again. We almost completely dissasembled the unit with no luck. Needless to say, he put it back in the box and went and bought a Honda. He got his $400 worth out of the unit but will get a lifetime out of his Honda.

Also one last note about wattage. All of these units including Honda's are tested at sea level when they are put under load and given their ratings. I believe the break point is 3000'-4000' elevation, after that you de-rate their output by 20% for every 1000' of gain after. So some rough math for those who might travel in the not so high county:

A 2000wPeak/1600w RMS genny @ 0-4000' elev. will give you only 1200wPeak/960wRMS at 6000' elevation (40% loss).....and so on. That is why we went with 2 of the 2000's. In Tx our Honda's will run our A/C and everything without a problem(sea level), at home in Lake Tahoe (6000'+) they struggle to even start the unit. Just and FYI.

mike3fan

Thanks guys! I was all set to buy the Boily, now I'm thinking I like the Ramsond more. The idea of not having to get up in the middle of the night to refuel 4 gal. vs. 2 gal and only 8lbs heavier. I own a 3000is Honda which I would recommend to anyone, unfortuntely I smashed it and don't think I'll be allowed to spend another 2k on a new one.

argyll1st

I hate to say it BUT you would be better buying a 5 year old Honda IS3000 than a Kipor/Ransdom/Boily, I hnow its always nice to buy a new toy right out the box but most of this stuff from China is good for 2/3 years Max on average, your Honda & Yamaha is going to last 10 years if you worked them like for like, Honest "Buy cheep Buy Twice" I agree there are some happy customers but unless your a gambler and like spinning the wheel for $800 at a time stay safe stay Honda

mike3fan

I hate to say it BUT you would be better buying a 5 year old Honda IS3000 than a Kipor/Ransdom/Boily, I hnow its always nice to buy a new toy right out the box but most of this stuff from China is good for 2/3 years Max on average, your Honda & Yamaha is going to last 10 years if you worked them like for like, Honest "Buy cheep Buy Twice" I agree there are some happy customers but unless your a gambler and like spinning the wheel for $800 at a time stay safe stay Honda

One of the problems with the Honda is the weight. 135# is a bit too much to lug/lift around for me, and sometimes help just isn't available.

argyll1st

Its cheaper than going to the Gym and if you ever buy a horse you have something to tie it too......................................There are loads of EU2000 on ebay for $800/$900 dollars, remeber that it would be dead easy for me to advertise 4000w Geni with Remote start for $1000 but if the dam thing dont work then it dont work. I think you need to google the horror storys people are having with some of these before you send $900 to china. its only my opinion but a wish you all the best regardless

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
It all depends on your needs, income and values. I use a generator about 1-2 weeks a year so...I agree a Honda is better made than most generators but......I did not buy a Honda because of a few reasons.
#1) I would of had to buy TWO Honda's to do what i want. #2) the Honda will cost me another $1000 and i have to keep 2 engines maintained. #3) A personal reason (the Japanese killed my Grandfather and they promised to take over our country without a shot fired).

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Its cheaper than going to the Gym and if you ever buy a horse you have something to tie it too......................................There are loads of EU2000 on ebay for $800/$900 dollars, remeber that it would be dead easy for me to advertise 4000w Geni with Remote start for $1000 but if the dam thing dont work then it dont work. I think you need to google the horror storys people are having with some of these before you send $900 to china. its only my opinion but a wish you all the best regardless

Do you have any idea how much money China has loaned the US to keep us a float? Oops, sorry i see you don't live in the USA.

argyll1st

I dont follow your train of thought ? because they loaned your country money you should buy there product ? is that what you are saying, I have adopted a new way of thinking as I have got older, when I make a major purchase (like a generator) I dont look so much at the up-front purchase price and more the residual sale price when I am ready to trade it , If I but a EU3000 for $2000 and run it for, 5 seasons and then sell it I will get $1400/$1500 dollars back for it if I keep it good (recent ebay prices) so cost of ownership would be $500/600 over 5 seasons so thats between $100/$120 per year for trouble free/hassle free camping, on the other hand after 5 years if my $1000 Geni from China is still running its worth $100/$200 so its cost me $800/$900 and thats if its ran for 5 seasons without the horror storys that fill hundreds of pages on the internet, as I said its just one mans opinion and I dont mean to ruffle anyones feathers

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I dont follow your train of thought ? because they loaned your country money you should buy there product ? is that what you are saying, I have adopted a new way of thinking as I have got older, when I make a major purchase (like a generator) I dont look so much at the up-front purchase price and more the residual sale price when I am ready to trade it , If I but a EU3000 for $2000 and run it for, 5 seasons and then sell it I will get $1400/$1500 dollars back for it if I keep it good (recent ebay prices) so cost of ownership would be $500/600 over 5 seasons so thats between $100/$120 per year for trouble free/hassle free camping, on the other hand after 5 years if my $1000 Geni from China is still running its worth $100/$200 so its cost me $800/$900 and thats if its ran for 5 seasons without the horror storys that fill hundreds of pages on the internet, as I said its just one mans opinion and I dont mean to ruffle anyones feathers

Sorry let me buy ya a few shots of Scotch so you can keep up. I basically gave my reasons for not buying Japanese. Your reasoning has many IF's in it. Honestly it's all good information and you're entitled to your wrong opinion.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
OK Folks, this thread is going astray as other have regarding country of origin and who's is better and my Dad can beat up your Dad. Let's try to keep it friendly and let people have their own opinion without bashing it. We provide an opinion to a question and let's keep it civil, please. We should all agree to disagree and leave it at that. Thanks,

Northern Virginia
I buy a lot of high dollar (several thousand dollars) tools for the company I work for. I also have a bit of a Tim Allen complex. When I buy tools for work, I will only buy professional grade tools. After all, the guys that use them are professionals and they will be used frequently and used hard. I would NEVER buy a cheap import generator for the company.

Now, when I need a generator, I want to buy the same top quality tool... BUT, if I am only going to use something a few times and I also have a looooooooooong list of other toys I would like to have, I have compromise.

I would buy the import generator in this case. As much as I would like to have the best quality Honda, it just wouldn't make sense (to me at least) to part with the extra cash when there are ten other things I want to buy for camping. Obviously, if money were no object, I would buy the best of the best every time. But, alas, money IS an object.

Cheers-
John

robnmo

I buy a lot of high dollar (several thousand dollars) tools for the company I work for. I also have a bit of a Tim Allen complex. When I buy tools for work, I will only buy professional grade tools. After all, the guys that use them are professionals and they will be used frequently and used hard. I would NEVER buy a cheap import generator for the company.

Now, when I need a generator, I want to buy the same top quality tool... BUT, if I am only going to use something a few times and I also have a looooooooooong list of other toys I would like to have, I have compromise.

I would buy the import generator in this case. As much as I would like to have the best quality Honda, it just wouldn't make sense (to me at least) to part with the extra cash when there are ten other things I want to buy for camping. Obviously, if money were no object, I would buy the best of the best every time. But, alas, money IS an object.

Cheers-
John

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO thank you John. I've been following this thread and the wife and I were just talking, we'd like to have the Honda (already looked at them at a local dealer) BUT, it probably wouldn't be used more than once or twice a year at the most, so thought the Boily might be the best choice moneywise in OUR situation. Well said sir, looks like Boily it is........unless we find a used honda cheap at the local flea market. LOL

RubiconAg

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO thank you John. I've been following this thread and the wife and I were just talking, we'd like to have the Honda (already looked at them at a local dealer) BUT, it probably wouldn't be used more than once or twice a year at the most, so thought the Boily might be the best choice moneywise in OUR situation. Well said sir, looks like Boily it is........unless we find a used honda cheap at the local flea market. LOL

You guys are completely right!.....now with that said, we use our Honda 2000's for 75+ hours a year for medium to heavy duty loads, the extra money for the added reliability was worth it for us. Especially for those that will only use the generator once or twice or only to charge just the batteries it does not make sense to spend thousands.

For me, the next project will be to make the extra fuel tank out of a boat tank for the gennys to hopefully tripple their run time.

Happy Kamping

Northern Virginia
I bought two 6 gallon marine tanks at Wally World (about $20 each) I added 3/8" hydraulic quick connects to a length of 3/8 fuel line. Both sides of the quick connect are liquid tight. The males threaded into the outlet on the gas tanks and the females (also liquid tight) on the 3/8 fuel line to the generator (a built-in Onan). The hydraulic quick connects were less than $10 each,( I needed three) and they are rated for petroleum. It has been a really good set up. I can change tanks with the generator running and not spill a drop.

Link to the quick connects: http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/ag-set.htm
Wally World marine gas tank: http://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Gallon-Fuel-Tank-See-Thru-No-Gauge/11071221

AG-SET-2..jpg0002269788672_500X5&.jpg

boatdoc

Hey Guys, the extended run tanks are a great addition but step up a bit and buy the Moeller tank, it's another $10.00 bucks. The Attwood tank will leave you hanging. Just a little tidbit of experience I've gained over the last 35 years working with outboards.

branson4020

Icantre Member
newbie,

I'd like to hear more about that setup. You have gasoline (rather than propane) genset built-in? Is there an internal tank or only the external tanks? Do they have to be up high enough to gravity feed the genset?