generator

willwoh

hey everyone,

going to go camping this weekend and there is no power hook ups.. going to be buying a champion generator but wanted to make sure i didnt need any other accessories for it to work and not mess up my electrical. any information will be great!

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi willwoh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
hey everyone,

going to go camping this weekend and there is no power hook ups.. going to be buying a champion generator but wanted to make sure i didnt need any other accessories for it to work and not mess up my electrical. any information will be great!

What size/model Champion are you looking at? They are on my radar as well.

BLR

My 1st thought is what is the Db's of said unit.. nothing is more irritating then someone with a Contractor style Generator.. alot of us use when dry camping/ boondocking with TH run either the stand alone 2000 watt suitcase ( Yamaha or Honda)or if you need more more then maybe the 3000. Otherwise if for some reason we need to run AC.. we run our fairly quiet 5500 Onan..

Sent from BLR Logistics

willwoh

3500 watt one and the dbs are under 70. will only have it for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours around dinner. i asked heartland and they are saying it needs to be prepped. any idea on what they say needs to be prepped? any idea what accessories would be needed for it to be prepped?

danemayer

3500 watt one and the dbs are under 70. will only have it for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours around dinner. i asked heartland and they are saying it needs to be prepped. any idea on what they say needs to be prepped? any idea what accessories would be needed for it to be prepped?

When you have an on-board generator, it is wired through an automatic transfer switch where shore power also comes in. The automatic transfer switch selects between the two power sources and ensures 1) only one source is applied to the coach electrical system at any time, and 2) that the generator power doesn't backfeed the campground electrical system, causing a safety hazard.

That's what is most of what is meant by generator prep.

In your case, with an external generator, you simply plug your shore power cord into the generator using an appropriate adapter. In that arrangement, the prep is unnecessary.

carl.swoyer

I had a kipor 6500 gas.
It wasn't very good quality. I went to the Onan 5500 lp ( no worries of stale gas). EXCELLENT power , it's built in so no heavy lifting, you start and stop it from inside. If your on the road and stop into a roadside rest area you can fire it up and use everything. If you are in this for the long term Rv life a built-in genset with the automatic transfer switch...... It doesn't get any sweeter

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bdb2047

I have the Champion 3100 inverter/generator.It's several years old have no complaints.Be sure to use Sta-bil or something similar in fuel

avvidclif

That should work like a charm, nice and quiet. Just make sure and secure it so it doesn't develop feetsies while parked in a parking lot overnite.

bdb2047

willwoh

i ended up at home depot and got a ryobi that does 4500 start 3600 running. had an rv 30 amp pluh rigby on it and got it for 430 including ny tax... little expensive but quiet enough and has more than enough power for the ac (wont need it will be 45 degrees at nighy where im going). anybody know how long a fully charged battery will last for a small tv at night? if it lasts a couple of hours that plenty for me :)