Generators

Stinger381

I have a Honda 3000 EUi and mine will not start my 15k A.C. Unit. I have not added the hard start capacitor yet and I plan on doing that very soon to see if that helps or not. But for the fuel economy and the quietness you cannot beat the Honda. The 3000 is almost too much for one person to handle weight wise but if you leave it in the truck it should not be a problem.

Stinger381

I added a hard start kit today to the carrier 15,000 BTU unit on my Sundance. The dealer did not have one specifically for the carrier unit that I have so I bought one for the dometic AC units. Just followed the instructions the same as printed and mounted the new relay and capacitor. I tried the AC on shore power first and every thing appeared fine. I then broke out the Honda 3000EUi and used my dog bone and an adapter to the round plug on the genset. Fired up the ac unit and the compressor kicked on with no issues. Very worthwhile project indeed.

porthole

Retired
The Supco SPP6E seems to be a popular hard start kit for AC's and genny use.
Never gave it any thought until our recent trip to Dover. My 3K Honda would occasionally balk at running the AC and go into overload and shutdown. Never did this before and is an indicator that if the AC unit already has a starting capacitor that it may be bad or going bad.

The kits are relativley inexpensive for the gain and can be doubld up if needed.
And even if you don't use a genny, your AC unit will benefit by having an icreased starting current reserve.