Genset

Jaru93

I have a new 3010 and have been dry camping for 3 days. When I run the generator it does not seem to charge the batteries an the bathroom and kitchen outlets don't work. Any suggestions? I've been hooking my truck up to charge the batteries.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Bathroom & kitchen outlets are probably a tripped GFI. Reset it. Now let's talk about generator. Do you have 12V power for lights, etc. inside your rig when the genny is not running?

Jaru93

Yes I do, but batteries are getting low and I have run my truck with trailer cable plugged in to recharge.

Lynn1130

The next question would be how many batteries do you have and how long are you running the generator to charge?

Jaru93

I ran it yesterday for an hour and a half and it didn't seem to charge the batteries much. I have 2 six volt deep cycle batteries. With the gen running the batteries seem to still drain. If you want to you can call me at 253-961-1074.

Lynn1130

I too have dual 6 volts. I usually run the generator 2 to 3 hours in the morning while we are brewing coffee and doing the other morning things that use up the batteries. Also, when dry camping I turn all of the overhead lights down to one bulb rather than two as well as use the other lights on a one bulb setting rather than two. You might want to check the connections to the battery to be sure that everything is tight. A loose connection can of course hinder the charge. Check the breakers on the gen as well as those inside. Oh, and don't use the flood lights on the rear of the trailer. In-fact I removed that fuse to keep that switch from being used by kids or mistakenly switched on by others. That will drain the batteries in a big hurry. If all of that fails then it is back to the dealer/shop for a check of the charging system.

If the batteries get low it will take a long run on the generator to get them back. Short runs will not bring them back enough to stay up.

Lynn1130

A couple of other thoughts. Is it cool enough at night that you are running the heat? The heater fan eats up batteries. Do you have 120 with the generator running? TVs, microwave? If not that could indicate no charge to the battery also.

Jaru93

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm hooked to my truck right now so I hope I can charge the batteries with it. I'm moving to full hook ups tomorrow. The only gfi plug is in the bathroom and the test button doesn't do anything. Thanks for your help!

Jaru93

The microwave, fireplace, tv all work with gen running. There is no ac power in the bathroom (gfi) or kitchen receptacles. I have an inverter that is connected to my batteries so I can run my cpap machine.

Lynn1130

The only thing I can think of with the plugs in the kitchen and bath would be to pull the cover off of the gen and see if one of the 30 amp breakers is tripped. That happened to me when I had aux heaters running in the trailer and turned on the coffee pot. The surge tripped the breaker. Good luck!

Jaru93

I don't have a 12v receptacle anywhere in the bedroom, only at the stereo. I'm not sure what type of connect i need on the cpap machine.

Jaru93

I have checked the gen breakers and they haven't been tripped. Is there anything on the converter that could be tripped?

Lynn1130

There are fuses on the front of the converter. If you have a VOM available you could check the outputs on the converter.

It does make me suspicious of the system if there seems to be no cause for the lack of 120 at the plugs. But you say that other 120 items run. I am assuming that you have checked the fuses in the fuse box below the control panel. I still don't know why that would affect battery charge but we may have, and I suspect there are, several malfunctions going on there. It could be the battery issues is due to them getting low and now it will take a long charge to bring them back. The outlet issue seems like something unrelated.

Lynn1130

In the generator compartment, back upper left hand side as I recall. The rig is in storage about 10 miles away or I would check for sure.

porthole

Retired
Jaru - some thoughts; since your outlets and converter are not working it sounds like you have one leg of your AC out. Assuming you did check the GFI.

You found the two breakers on the Genny panel, did you flip them on and off any way?

Flip the main 50 amp double breaker on and off?

The converter is behind the basement wall in the area that would be near the inside steps.
There should be a "pie plate" cover you can remove to access the plug. There may also be a vented panel near the top of the converter.
There is a fuse on the converter.

The converter is 80 amps and should charge your batteries way faster then you truck can. when on AC power the converter can draw up to 17-18 amps.

There is an automatic transfer switch behind the basement wall. That is where the loud clunk comes from when you plug in shore power or fire up the Genny.
Some folks have found a loose wire for one of the AC legs in this switch.

Any way you can plug into a shore power receptacle or maybe a portable Genny?

This way you can narrow it down, either everything works on the shore power or it acts the same.

Jaru93

Thanks for the info! I'm moving to full Hook ups today so I'll see if my batteries charge from shore power. All my ac appliances and most outlets are working with the generator running. I've reset the gen circuit breakers twice and no change.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The GFCI in the bathroom should control the outlets around the sinks (kitchen and bathroom) and the outlets outside including possibly the outlet the refrigerator plugs into. Many times when you trip the GFCI you won't see a difference. It is possible the GFCI is defective. The is probably a breaker in the breaker box for the GFCI too. Check that. Don't just look at it, turn it off, wait about 10 seconds and then turn it back on. If you have an 80 amp converter there will be 3 30amp fuses on the end of it. These fuses (according to the manual) will only blow if the battery is hooked up wrong. Check them anyway. Also, basically all the converter does is provide 12 volts to charge the battery.