Getting and Using 3 ACs in Cyclone

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
I have heard of many customers using that system with good luck. The power management will have to be hooked up to not only the A/C but also whatever items you would shed when running all three A/C's (usually refer and water heater because they are gas and electric). However you should be able to re-wire the Bedroom A/C as the constant (unit that always has power), and wire the center A/C to the throw switch (IPO bedroom) so that when you turn the garage A/C it would turn off the center A/C which would allow you to run the bedroom and garage A/C without the need of a power management system.

thanks,

AJ

scottyb

I am trying to follow this since I wish to add the 3rd AC to mine. I installed a EMS-HW50C for surge protection, and I'm trying to determine what roll that it would have in this. Mine is installed between the transfer switch and the breaker panel so that it monitors both shore and gen power.

Ladiver

scottyb, I think we are in the same boat. I understand the installation of the EMS-HW50C, but don't get how it would allow 3 a/c's without a transfer switch. I understand that not all three could run at the same time due to current loads, but how would I run any 2 at the same time. If I were to rewire the main to the transfer switch and make the bedroom constant, then I would not be able to use the main and garage. I just want my options open to use bedroom/main, bedroom/garage or main/garage. I am still wrapping my head around this.

How was the install of the EMS? just place it between the transfer switch and breaker, for protection from both shore and gen power. How about the programming after install? Anything special? I am wondering how you determine which device is shut down when there is too much draw of power (ie refer and water heater). How does the EMS know what is what?

Thanks,

Jeff

danemayer

Guys, I think you're talking apples and oranges. I don't think the Progressive EMS-HW50C does anything to turn some circuits on and others off which is what you want.

Ladiver

Dan,

That is what I was thinking. Could you assist in pointing me towards achieving my goal? I have no idea what product I am looking for.

Thanks,

Jeff

danemayer

Dan,

That is what I was thinking. Could you assist in pointing me towards achieving my goal? I have no idea what product I am looking for.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, I'm not really up to speed on switching solutions, but here's one way I think it can be done. On this device, the individual circuits can be turned on or off so that you don't exceed 50 amps draw. I think the target market is for homes with backup generators where the generator won't power the entire house. I think something like this, or some thing with comparable switching capability is what AJ might have been referring to.

scottyb

Guys, I think you're talking apples and oranges. I don't think the Progressive EMS-HW50C does anything to turn some circuits on and others off which is what you want.

That was my assumption as well.

I was thinking something more in line with a manual marine battery switch or something functionally equal, between the LR AC and garage, where you could manually swich to "1 (LR), 2 (garage), or Both". Of course "Both" could only be used when connected to 50A shore power. The BR AC would remain constant.

How was the install of the EMS? just place it between the transfer switch and breaker, for protection from both shore and gen power. How about the programming after install? Anything special? I am wondering how you determine which device is shut down when there is too much draw of power (ie refer and water heater). How does the EMS know what is what?

LADiver, the install is very easy if you have the skills to wire a basic electrical switch or outlet, just bigger wire. Make sure to get the correct color wires connected to the right lugs. The instructions are very straight forward. The hard part is cramming yourself into the very tight workspace and carrying out the steps. No programming necessary or available.

Ladiver

ScottyB,

I climbed down there over the weekend. You are right, it is not comfortable. Good thing DW said she wanted to learn about the components in the RV, so she could handle things if needed. This will be a good learning experiencing for her. :) Think that would fly?? I doubt it.

Still being in my 30's and working in IT, I am used to cramming into small places and doing wiring be feel and mirrors! I am sure I can get this installed.

I am still trying to figure out how to get any two of three running at same time. I am starting to find things online. Load shedding and intelligent power management are good keywords to start with.

Thanks,

Jeff