Getting more AC to the bedroom.....

oscar

We're down to the final stages of selecting our TH unit, we really like the Cyclone 4100 King. It will be an existing on the lot one, as the deals are much, much better on those. Putting a few units side to side, one of the options that may or may not be installed is the bed room AC unit.

So, I did quite a bit of reading here. It appears if the unit is not installed, that doing so after the fact is no big deal. Pre-wired and pre-bracketed, just pull out the hatch vent. I can handle that.

BUT, I also read these units are loud, and I don't like loud.

Then I got to thinking. This is only a real issue when sleeping at night.

Has anyone modified the ducting in the main part of the camper to direct more cold air to the bedroom at night? Closable registers was my thought.....

Jimmy

Actually, its not really an issue at night because it is cooler at night. I have two units and we only run both units during the day and we leave the BR unit off at night, works great this way for us... Good Luck.

danemayer

Has anyone modified the ducting in the main part of the camper to direct more cold air to the bedroom at night? Closable registers was my thought....
Never heard of anyone doing this. As Jimmy said, at night there's usually enough cool air coming through the ducts.

But a number of people have changed the ducts in the bedroom to direct more air to the living room during the day, so the reverse might help with getting more to the bedroom. Of course the ducts are pretty high in our living room so it wouldn't be a practical solution for everyday living in our rig.

scottyb

Oscar, everyone is different and there are many variables about how we sleep. I can tell you for certain, that i would not be happy with my 4100 in central Texas w/o the A/C in the bedroom. It is noisy but it becomes white noise to us and we sleep like babes. When we are at the boat races, sometimes we run it just to drown out the engines that are being fired late into the night as the crews are tuning them for the next day. I could see leaving it off on a nice cool night in the mountains, with the windows open.

ksmith555

We recently sold our 3010 that we had for a year and a half and it only had one A/C...keeping the garage area cool during the summer was sometimes an issue for us. We ordered a 3110 last week and opted to put the second A/C in the garage versus the bedroom where it will be of more use (for us).

ihsolutions

I modified mine in my BH 3670, in a real simple way. I just plugged the vent line heading from the A/C unit BACK, which forces more air to all the vents in front of the A/C unit, including the bedroom. We keep the bedroom door closed during the day, which gets that room really nice and cold for sleeping.

To plug the vent lines, I just popped off one of the vent covers, and stuck a small towel inside the ductwork. Easily removable if I ever changed my mind, but I've had it this way for almost 3 years now.

traveler44

On our Bighorn 3370 RL I installed a vent that opens and closes in the bathroom and if we want more air in the bedroom I close it so that the air will shoot past the bathroom. We have always had enough cool air this way but we haven't camped where it is is over 100* outside yet. I did this several years ago and probably either ordered the vent from Tweetys or got it from Lowes. I didn't make the bedroom vent directional because it is right above the bed and blows down evenly enough to keep us cool. Tom

travis_g

We use it for the white noise. Even on cool nights, we turn on just the fan and it drowns out all other noise. I find that I actually sleep better in our coach than at home.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Wharton

We have put in the "tent" modification, blocked the vents in the bedroom as they extend past the actual vents and pulled the vents out of the ceiling(that gave a lot more air).