Getting ready for full timing !!

RawFaith

Well, as the title says we are getting ready for full timing.
Totally new to the heartland family :D!!
Very excited about the trailer. We got it a couple of weeks ago and there is A LOT to do before moving in. So decided to start a thread here in the general section. Since will work my way around the trailer from the roof to the underbelly, plumbing, electrical, adjusting the slides, running lights, ACs,misc interior mods, and of course a good polish the get it all nice and shiny!!!!!.
Will please encourage your inputs, specially since most of you have gone the same route we will be going, so please give me the tips and the NO NO!!!!! before is too late!
We are talking about a 2005 LandMark Grand Ganyon, we found it locally and "the bones" in really good shape, a little neglected of love and care, but we will take care of that.
Will try to document as much as I can while working on it, but the 100F temp sometimes gets to my head and then I really don't care about my phone nor to take pics.
So thanks in advance to everyone for the interaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

rxbristol

Congratulations. You'll learn a lot about your RV as you go through everything. I would suggest spending lots of time reading current and past posts in this forum and you'll learn even more.

mlpeloquin

Owned a Big Horn for a while. Just learned two months ago about Rejex and Bug-N-All. Use them on your rig and your tow vehicle. The bugs will come off easy. Make sure that you check all the pointing (caulking) constantly. I use blue painters tape along each edge to get a clean line. Make sure to remove the old loose calk. Push with your fingers to make sure there is a good bond on each edge. I use a pick and hook, Harbor Freight, and a safety raiser to carefully remove the unbonded pointing. Check every three months if you live where there is a lot of rain.

Harbor Freight is a great place to purchase throwaway gloves to handle the black water hose and connections. They have them on sale several times a year. I carry two boxes and purchase a new box as soon a I deplete one. I also have Harbor Freight tools that come in plastic storage containers. Screwdrivers, sockets, etc.. I also carry a torque wrench for torquing the lug nuts and Harbor Freight lug nut set in it's plastic storage box. Need to have a good small compressor. If your tires are Towmax, get them off you fifth wheel ASAP. They are known as Blowmax. It is not if but when they will blow out. Sailun or Goodyear G614's only on your heavy rig. Sailun tires are very good and will save you money. Do replace the spare at the same time. Look at the DOT number and make sure the tires are not over five years old. Replace them if they are.

That is my two cents. Welcome and enjoy.

RawFaith

Congratulations. You'll learn a lot about your RV as you go through everything. I would suggest spending lots of time reading current and past posts in this forum and you'll learn even more.
Thanks!
We are very excited about the unit, pretty solid and even when I towed only few miles it feels like it should tow nicely for long distance trips...;)
We attend a conference in Charlotte every year in Oct, so my wife already asked: do you think we should take the rv this year instead of doing hotels?
I had been reading a lot lately, and there is a tremendous amount of information. Also there is so much that we will be working on the RV that out of consideration I thought of trying to keep it in one thread instead of having a new thread in another section for every little thing.
Thanks again for the welcome and please feel free to interact!

RawFaith

Owned a Big Horn for a while. Just learned two months ago about Rejex and Bug-N-All. Use them on your rig and your tow vehicle. The bugs will come off easy. Make sure that you check all the pointing (caulking) constantly. I use blue painters tape along each edge to get a clean line. Make sure to remove the old loose calk. Push with your fingers to make sure there is a good bond on each edge. I use a pick and hook, Harbor Freight, and a safety raiser to carefully remove the unbonded pointing. Check every three months if you live where there is a lot of rain.

Harbor Freight is a great place to purchase throwaway gloves to handle the black water hose and connections. They have them on sale several times a year. I carry two boxes and purchase a new box as soon a I deplete one. I also have Harbor Freight tools that come in plastic storage containers. Screwdrivers, sockets, etc.. I also carry a torque wrench for torquing the lug nuts and Harbor Freight lug nut set in it's plastic storage box. Need to have a good small compressor. If your tires are Towmax, get them off you fifth wheel ASAP. They are known as Blowmax. It is not if but when they will blow out. Sailun or Goodyear G614's only on your heavy rig. Sailun tires are very good and will save you money. Do replace the spare at the same time. Look at the DOT number and make sure the tires are not over five years old. Replace them if they are.

That is my two cents. Welcome and enjoy.

Thanks for the inputs, taking notes....
I was wondering abut the tires, will take a look and see. But if I remember clearly they were Goodyears Load Range E ( that should be a nice bill to replace the 4s plus the spare!!)
The caulking is something that I really don't look forward on doing it, but I now it has to be done, the to get a smooth finish with that Dicor caulk is a pain...but it needs to be done.
Will look into the detailing products you mentioned as well.
Here are some pics of the tires...

Attachments

• IMG_7722.jpg
    IMG_7722.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7720.jpg
    IMG_7720.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7719.jpg
    IMG_7719.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 110

danemayer

If the Goodyear LR E tires are Marathons, they don't have a very good reputation. Check the inside surface of the wheels to see if they're stamped 110 PSI or 3750 lbs. If so, you might upgrade to Sailun S637 tires. They're LR G and have a much better rep. Also are reasonably priced.

justafordguy

Those Goodyear tires you have look like G614 tires. If so they are G rated tires which is what you need. The max PSI should say 110 psi. You just need to check the date code on them to make sure they aren't to old.

RawFaith

I headed about the Marathon's reputation!
Thanks goodness that's not the case, I see
Goodyear G614
DOT (MJOR) (610W) (3114)
Can someone decode the DOT info?
thanks

RawFaith

The day we pick it up....
please focus on the LandMark not on the Dodge 2500 converted to dually with over 1.3 million miles on that Cummins...LOL

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 131

danemayer

I headed about the Marathon's reputation!
Thanks goodness that's not the case, I see
Goodyear G614
DOT (MJOR) (610W) (3114)
Can someone decode the DOT info?
thanks

MJ indicates Goodyear plant in Topeka, KS.
3114 indicates a manufacture date of the 31 week of 2014.
The stuff in the middle is code for tire size and type.

RawFaith

they were built the 31st week of 2014

MJ indicates Goodyear plant in Topeka, KS.
3114 indicates a manufacture date of the 31 week of 2014.
The stuff in the middle is code for tire size and type.

cool! thanks.
You guys are faster than Google ....LOL
At least we have some time to start a new budget for a set of tires...Load Range G....wow! Last time I got Range E Trailer tires were almost $200 each, can't even imagine these guys

RawFaith

got it home....and now it's time to work on this beauty....!

Attachments

• IMG_7418.jpg
    IMG_7418.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 79

Gaffer

You have G tires now. Just keep em full of air.
cool! thanks.
You guys are faster than Google ....LOL
At least we have some time to start a new budget for a set of tires...Load Range G....wow! Last time I got Range E Trailer tires were almost $200 each, can't even imagine these guys

RawFaith

getting the roof done

While inspecting the RV roof, noticed some smalls areas that needed some patching, so....
Just went bananas and taped and caulked every vent, every fan and the skylight area....

Attachments

• IMG_7470.jpg
    IMG_7470.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7469.jpg
    IMG_7469.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 80

RawFaith

Re: getting the roof done

Even considering that the condition of the rubber roof wasn't that bad, we decided to treat it so it can last a lot longer...
So we decided to redcoat it....2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint.... did we ever mentioned that we like to over do things..:confused:
Started to shoot the primer...!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7477.jpg
    IMG_7477.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7472.jpg
    IMG_7472.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7471.jpg
    IMG_7471.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7476.jpg
    IMG_7476.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 72

danemayer

Even considering that the condition of the rubber roof wasn't that bad, we decided to treat it so it can last a lot longer...
So we decided to redcoat it....2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint.... did we ever mentioned that we like to over do things..:confused:
Started to shoot the primer...!!!
What kind of primer and paint? Hopefully nothing with a petroleum base.

RawFaith

Before giving anyone a heart attack or getting forbidden from this forum.....NO ROSTOLEUM, that was a joke...

RawFaith

hopefully enough time today before the rain to finish the 2nd coat of primer.
It's Florida and it rains every day,and that it's obviously delaying the curing time...
Around 8:30 I'm drying the roof with a towel and around 12 or 1 I'm applying the other coat...hopefuly not rain today.
But if it does I'm planning on letting the primer bond and cure of a couple of days....Let the FL sunshine "bake it"..:D
Got KoolSeal Rubber Roof compatible, got 2 5 gallon buckets at Sherwin-Williams and planning on using it all.

Attachments

• IMG_7485.jpg
    IMG_7485.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7474.jpg
    IMG_7474.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 49