Getting The Right Tow Vehicle

The wife and I are in the process of buying a Heartland "Grand Canyon". We are first time 5th Wheelers and I want to get the right tow vehicle to tow the rig. We are looking at the Ford F350. Is there anything special that I need on the vehicle. I don't trust car dealers and don't want to buy something then find out that it's not enough to pull the rig. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi benjamincd1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

For a Grand Canyon, you want a tow vehicle with a 5th wheel towing capacity of at least 16,250 (the Grand Canyon's GVWR), and a payload of 4,000 or higher (20% of the trailer GVWR plus stuff in the truck). Many owners pulling these large rigs recommend getting a dually. The payload is higher and they're more stable when towing, especially in crosswinds. And 4x4 is another good choice. Even if you don't expect to ever use it in snow, there may be times you need it on soft ground. And it helps at resale.

One of our owners has developed some tools to help you figure out what towing capacity and payload you need. Visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing to get more detailed information.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We have a Grand Canyon and wouldn't tow it with anything less than a 1 ton Dually. Tried it with a single rear wheel version and didn't like the ride or stability we were getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

Hi benjamincd1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

For a Grand Canyon, you want a tow vehicle with a 5th wheel towing capacity of at least 16,250 (the Grand Canyon's GVWR), and a payload of 4,000 or higher (20% of the trailer GVWR plus stuff in the truck). Many owners pulling these large rigs recommend getting a dually. The payload is higher and they're more stable when towing, especially in crosswinds. And 4x4 is another good choice. Even if you don't expect to ever use it in snow, there may be times you need it on soft ground. And it helps at resale.

One of our owners has developed some tools to help you figure out what towing capacity and payload you need. Visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing to get more detailed information.

I agree with Dan's recommendations.

scottyb

I also agree about the 4x4. You also need to get the factory 5th wheel prep. It's the best option ever for me and I wouldn't even consider a truck w/o it now, even if it meant passing up a great deal. There are two options for hitches to go with it, one being the B&W Companion.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Grand Canyon! We have some other owners in your area and we live just a couple of hours away from you. Let us know if you have questions about the soon to be yours 5er and we will do the best we can to help out.

We have the Big Horn version of that floor plan and tow with a 1 ton Dodge with no problems. We did add air bags to the suspension and a Mor-ryd pin box to the trailer to help smooth out the ride. We use the B&W hitch in the truck and like it a lot.

Kristy

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A 350 C/C L/B DRW 4WD would be my choice. I had 2 2500's pulling the Horn and now have a 3500 DRW....I would never go back. The dollars going in will be returned at resale. Always over buy a TV....cause ya never know if you might trade up to a bigger coach later on.

JBDB

What would be the estimated size of a Landmark that a 1 ton DRW, whether is Ford, Dodge or GMC/Chev, can tow comfortably ? I know there are variables between truck mfg capacities so lets say common items would be 3:55 RE, Auto trans, Diesel, 4x4, long box, maybe jake brake.

MTPockets

What would be the estimated size of a Landmark that a 1 ton DRW, whether is Ford, Dodge or GMC/Chev, can tow comfortably ? I know there are variables between truck mfg capacities so lets say common items would be 3:55 RE, Auto trans, Diesel, 4x4, long box, maybe jake brake.
Any of the Landmarks are safely towed with 350/3500 series DRW truck. 3.73 axles are most common in 350/3500 DRW trucks.

Looking to upgrade to DRW F350. 2014's in town are equipped with 3.73 gears, 2015 4.30. Does anyone know the difference in MPG if any?

EPaulikonis

A few have mentioned the axle weight on the vehicle, but you really need to run the numbers and make sure you don't exceed gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and/or gross combined weight rating (GCWR). What I found during my search for a tow vehicle was I kept overloading the truck (GVWR) before exceeding the rear axle weight, fifth wheel towing rating, or the gross combined weight rating cited in the tow charts. Max tow ratings on the manufacturer charts don't account for the hitch weight, cargo, or total weight of passengers (usually only 150lb. for a passenger is included in the table's calculation), which is fine if you don't plan on bringing along any passengers or loading any additional cargo in the truck cab or bed.

I just purchased a Ram 3500, DRW, 4X4, Big Horn with the Aisin HD transmision and 3.73 gear ratio to pull a Landmark Savannah. The truck is capable of towing 23,430 (max tow rating), 14,000lb. of gross vehicle weight (GVWR), 9,750lb rear gross axle weight rating, and a gross combined weight rating of 32,000lb. The vehicle, people, hitch weight, and trailer pin weight = 12,225lb., so I can put up to 1,775lb. of cargo into the truck before I hit the GVWR limit of 14,000lb.

Finding a hitch for use with the factory puck systems is still a challenge. I ended up purchasing a Pull-Rite 20K with the frame assembly that fits into Ram's puck system.

JBDB

Newbe again,
thanks for the link it was very helpfull looks like dodge is kicking butt. But im sure the other will catch up.
Next question, which is better long box or short box. My current tow vehile is LB extended cab and can cary just about anything as long as you dont get to high and wipe it out with the camper hitch. gonna have to check out that Aisin tranny also

EPaulikonis

Your choice of vehicle and combinations on the build may drive the bed length. Only way to get a short bed on the Dodge is to go w/super-crew. I chose to go w/standard crew cab (4-door) w/long-bed. Couldn't believe how large/heavy the slider hitches were when seeing them at the shows. I was also concerned about all the moving parts on the auto-slide hitches. Just extra pieces to break and ware.

Maneuverability is a moot point unless you go w/standard or extended cab option. Both the crew w/8-foot bed and super-crew w/6' 4" bed have the same wheel base.

Newbe again,
thanks for the link it was very helpfull looks like dodge is kicking butt. But im sure the other will catch up.
Next question, which is better long box or short box. My current tow vehile is LB extended cab and can cary just about anything as long as you dont get to high and wipe it out with the camper hitch. gonna have to check out that Aisin tranny also

scottyb

Looking to upgrade to DRW F350. 2014's in town are equipped with 3.73 gears, 2015 4.30. Does anyone know the difference in MPG if any?

I'm pretty sure the 4.30's are optional. The 3.73 gears are more than adequate for towing any rig on Heartland's website. There may not be any difference in MPG towing but there is empty. When I drive our 2012 F550 at work on occasion, it really revs up at 70 - 75 mph. That truck gets about 10 mpg empty with a flat bed on it.

dave10a

I have pulled 16k miles through all terrain and most road conditions. No problem with my SRW. My Landmark is most likely the max trailer the truck should pull. BTY my SRW is very stable in cross winds because 5th wheel trailer pull nicely in those conditions. It is a physics thing--mechanical leverage. Non-5th wheel trailers are a lot more sensitive to wind conditions. I keep hearing dually s are more stable pulling 5th wheel trailers, but I can't imagine my truck being more stable than it is now. One thing a dually has from the factory is a sway bar while it is optional on a SRW with a camper package. Maybe that is why I my truck is stable. But the fact remains 5th wheel trailers pull more stable than non-5th wheel trailers. BTY according to the CAT scales my truck is in spec with my trailer- Of course I have all of Fords OEM suspension options. So why would I want a dually which is a pain in the *** when not pulling and I can not get one in my garage :)

JBDB

I have pulled 16k miles through all terrain and most road conditions. No problem with my SRW. My Landmark is most likely the max trailer the truck should pull. BTY my SRW is very stable in cross winds because 5th wheel trailer pull nicely in those conditions. It is a physics thing--mechanical leverage. Non-5th wheel trailers are a lot more sensitive to wind conditions. I keep hearing dually s are more stable pulling 5th wheel trailers, but I can't imagine my truck being more stable than it is now. One thing a dually has from the factory is a sway bar while it is optional on a SRW with a camper package. Maybe that is why I my truck is stable. But the fact remains 5th wheel trailers pull more stable than non-5th wheel trailers. BTY according to the CAT scales my truck is in spec with my trailer- Of course I have all of Fords OEM suspension options. So why would I want a dually which is a pain in the *** when not pulling and I can not get one in my garage :)

Like your thinking here. Im towing my current 5er with a F250 and its very stable. I added the sway bar myself. Other than the increased pin weight capacity, thats would be my best guess to get a dually. great forum

porthole

Retired

How do you drive now?
What speed do you like to cruise at?

When you get into the 1ton trucks, most axle ratios are not an option, you get the ratio that the tuck comes with.
Ford for instance, 3.73 is the only option in a 350 DRW, and 4.30 is the only option in the 450, which is DRW only. Although there are rumors this may change with the 2015 F-350 DRW

We have a member here that had a 2011 350 DRW and recently traded to a 2014 450 and is getting better mileage.

With the higher gears the truck does not have to work as hard to move the same weight, so you can get better mileage - until you start upping your speed.
Newer technology makes the modern trucks more efficient then ever and still meet emission standards.

Although my 2006 SRW Duramax got better mileage then my 2011 DRW F-350 does, but it also weighs about 3000 less.

dave10a

Trailer Life had a decent article recently about gearing. However, gears and torque curve along with transmission, differential, tire diameter, and load are what defines things. My truck has a 3:55 differential and 20 inch tires that suits my needs very well. If I am in hilly country I limit the transmission into 5th gear and it pulls very well without transmission hunting. In flat country 6th gear works well. Of course Ford has reasonably flat torque curve for my trailer pulling with that differential gear. The nice thing about my gearing is it provides the best fuel mileage when not pulling as well as pulling. The new 2015 F350 has more horse power and torque because of a larger turbo, but I have not seen its torque curve-- if it is still reasonably flat torque curve, that would be a great engine.