Glass Tile Backsplash

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Great idea and great looking tiles. Nice job !! Just curious tho, if you used "peel & stick" tile , what was the additional
adhesive used for??

The glass tiles are not "Peel and Stick". I used a product called Simple Tile Adhesive. It is actually a peel and stick adhesive that can be cut to size with ordinary scissors. It has peelable surfaces on both sides. After cutting to fit, you peel one side and stick to the wall. Then you peel the open side and put the glass mats over it. The glass mats I used are the thin type. There are other thicker glass mats that we considered but I was not comfortable witht the weight on them.

I just purchased a complete kit at Lowe's.
It includes everything, grout, tools, instructions, title, everything.
It has 15 sq. feet of title.
My kitchen area is about twice the size of yours, so I needed more title.
It was on sale and with the veterans discount (10%) couldn't turn it down.
I hope to have it done before the Rally.
I really loved your idea, makes a beautiful rig look even nicer.

Hockster

===================================================================================================================================

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Hockster, I hope you'll share some pictures when you're done. I'm planning to buy the new gel stick tiles from home depot when we get our unit. But the glass tile is lovely, so I could be persuaded. :)

Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I will do that.
The tile we purchased is a true peel and stick
The tile is not very heavy.
This is a diy brand kit.
If you go to the diy network (do it yourself) they have a video of the installation.
Looks so simple, a caveman could do it. lol

Hockster

=====================================================================================================================================

boatto5er

We looked at the DIY kits, but both Lowes near us were out of stock, so we went with the other option (separate adhesive). Practically identical tiles though, even though we got ours at Home Depot :).

You did a great looking job.
I told my wife about what you had done, and she thought it was a wonderful idea.
You can guess the rest.
I hope to have it done later this week.

Hockster

===================================================================================================================================

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
OK!! This threads been haunting me since you put it up...finally had to go and do the same thing. Been wanting to do this for awhile...thanks for getting us off our duffs!! So excited with the way it's turning out, had to post a couple of pictures before we even grout it...that will be tomorrow!!

Attachments

• 000_0050.jpg
    000_0050.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 000_0051.jpg
    000_0051.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 264

boatto5er

You did a great looking job.
I told my wife about what you had done, and she thought it was a wonderful idea.
You can guess the rest.
I hope to have it done later this week.

Hockster

OK!! This threads been haunting me since you put it up...finally had to go and do the same thing. Been wanting to do this for awhile...thanks for getting us off our duffs!! So excited with the way it's turning out, had to post a couple of pictures before we even grout it...that will be tomorrow!!

Sorry I got you guys in trouble! ;)

kakampers

Thanks Jim! The best part is that after we return the two sheets of tile we didn't need...the entire job cost a whopping $51.00!! That even included the trowel and float...well worth it, IMO!! Really pulls the kitchen area together and "warms" it up!! What I really liked is these sheets were much thinner than most of what we saw...really adds very little weight.

P.S. returned the tiles but needed more grout, so the cost was actually $64.00 total...here's a completed picture...grouted it this morning!!

IMAG0025.jpg

Last edited:

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I did grout it. Another great thing about the self stick adhesive (hmmmm, that sounds redundant) is that you can grout immediately. No waiting for the adhesive to dry first. I used a lightly sanded pre mixed grout.

Any thoughts about how the grout will hold up beening bounced around during travel. Ken

boatto5er

Any thoughts about how the grout will hold up beening bounced around during travel. Ken

Thats the only concern I have. I think it will be OK, because we've we haven't noticed too much rearrangement of items inside the rig so far. (maybe I'm staying too many smooth roads - wait, smooth roads is an oxymoron in Virginia :eek:)

bdb2047

I did this last fall.About 7k miles and temps from below feeezing to over 100 no problem so far.Temps with tile on slide wall concerned me did not know how self stick would hold up.

kakampers

Yeah, but it's a good kinda trouble...my Kenny is still patting himself on the back, cause it looks SOOO good!! LOL

kakampers

I did this last fall.About 7k miles and temps from below feeezing to over 100 no problem so far.Temps with tile on slide wall concerned me did not know how self stick would hold up.

We did not use self-stick...ours was applied using troweled on adhesive, but the tiles are about half the thickness of a traditional glass tile sheet. I can't imagine them going anywhere...the wall would have to have lots of movement, and I don't see any indication of ANY movement...

kakampers

I agree with that. Really adds a lot to the interior appearance.
Gus..yes it does! thanks for this thread, or I might never had gotten it done. DH told me to stop reading these threads...I keep finding too much work for him...LOL!!!