Glue everywhere on slide...slide sticking

IronJ

Ok so I go to do a mini detail on the rig for tailgating next weekend. . I go to run the living room slide out and it kinda "sticks " then pops free Making the sound of tape being pulled apart...I think hmm..that don't sound right...

After I get it out I go out and look and see glue residue streaked all down the sides of the slide, a slide flipper missing, and the window Moulding on one of the windows pulled off...

I cleaned put the Moulding back In and cleaned the residual glue on the slide with goo gone....

I get to looking and apparently there is either a TON OF excess glue, or it is seeping from where the rubber membrane is glued to the slide...

There is a bead and it is VERY TACKY (uncured??) And all over the slide seals which is causing the slide to drag and stick....

So has anyone experience this??.can I just clean it and it will be fine or is it going to eventually glue my slide closed??.

I'm starting to get frustrated with this 85k$ been used 5 times headache! !...I attached a cple pics of glue I'm referring to as well as glue all over window frame that ripped Moulding out....advice?

uploadfromtaptalk1446953224100.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1446953293662.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

sengli

I dont have this very bad on our current big horn, but that is a form of caulk /sealant rather than glue. And it will never harden. Our last unit an elkridge had alot more of this oozing out as time went on seams of the slides too. I scrapped off the excess and got some Goo gone to keep it cleaned off the sides.

Last edited:

vakthund

Had similar experience with our Cyclone when new. The caulk would smear on the sides of the slides and the slide would "stick" when opening. It was especially bad on the mega slide.
We tried to cover the caulk with masking tape but that came loose fairly quickly. For us it stopped after a few months of use - just before we planned on implementing more drastic measures.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

paleclaire

Same problem on my 2014 gateway. It was still under warranty and the dealer removed excess, replaced a seal and cleaned the rest. Bad inspection job at the factory I would say.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The stuff that you are seeing is butyl caulk.
As mentioned before it never drys.
But because it never drys it will continue to ooze for a while and that is why we sometimes see it on the slide seals.
Be happy that you see it because that means it is there doing its job of being a sealant.

Peace
Dave

IronJ

Sooo...I guess I'll get an economy jug of goo gone and keep cleaning and hope it gets better. ..

I was just worried about the mega slide ....I can hear the hydraulics working hard to "unstick" the rubber seals from the caulk...

And every 3rd time or so I run the slide out it is pulling the Moulding out of the window surround...

I guess the caulk just needs more dirt on it to block the sticky...lol

Now. .if I could just get ONE of my FIVE!!! sat outlets to feed a signal to my dish box I would be so much happier in life!! Haha a

Thanks for the responses guys!!👍

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The slide shouldn't be struggling because of a little sealant. See if the gear drive under the slide is dry. If it is, use a good lithium grease, or motorcycle chain lube on it. I have to do this about every 6 months to keep my slides running smoothly. Trace

iowaone

I also put talcum powder on the caulk wher is comes out. Still coming out to some extent after 3 seasons but the talcum reduces the smears on the slides.

IronJ

I spray the gears with slide lube every trip...I can see the slide sticking on one side and the top as it comes out...and then a discernable sound (think duct tape being pulled apart) as the slide un sticks...the slide actually pulls out a lil crooked until the sealant rips away from the slide sweeps.....

I like the talk pwdr idea tho and I'll definantly put some on after next week's tailgate

Thanks for the tips guys!!

paleclaire

The sealant definitely can slow the slide down. Mine was so bad it was smeared across the windows and slide sides. Still under warranty so the dealer replaced the seals and cleaned it up. Still took more work from me. Mineral spirits worked best, even on the top of the slide where there was so much gunk it pulled the seal and d ring out completely. I don't know if the inspector a was on a sick day or just stoned...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if the inspector a was on a sick day or just stoned...
I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Our rig is over six years old and I still find that butyl tape caulk oozing. In fact I just noticed some yesterday.
At least I know that they used it.

Peace
Dave

justafordguy

Mine has the same stuff on all the slides. You would think there was a better way to seal it without so much mess.

olcoon

Our Elk Ridge does the same thing, & it's a 2011. Not as bad now as it was, but it's still leaking out!

Kbvols

As I learned on the forum put some powder in an old sock and rub on your seals. We do this a couple times a year keeps the seals from sticking . Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk