Golf cart with a non toy hauler 5er

Sierra66

Last year we went to Disneyworld with a travel trailer and we put our golf cart in the back of the truck. We upgraded to a 5th wheel and wed like to take it again this year. Anyone have ideas on how we could do that? Mods? Trailers?

Thanks!

Sierra66

There are many places wed like to take it. Not just once a year. I am a very capable fabricator and I am thinking of adding to the frame to install a platform that would fold away. I'd have to do some load and fulcrum calculations but it would be much different than mounted motorcycle carriers.

porthole

Retired
There are many places wed like to take it. Not just once a year. I am a very capable fabricator and I am thinking of adding to the frame to install a platform that would fold away. I'd have to do some load and fulcrum calculations but it would be much different than mounted motorcycle carriers.

The links I posted, platform, not the motorcycle carrier.

Not aware of anyone that would install a bike lift on a trailer except for DRV and New Horizons.

The caster wheel platforms seem to have a good following. Lou & Bette on the forum here cart their bike all around with one.

Note that the twin caster is a better option as it allows the platform articulate up and down, both fore and aft and side to side.

Sierra66

I think the swivelwheel 58DW with the 6' extension will be my best bet. Price really isn't to bad. Plus is isn't considered a trailer, but an extension of the camper. It will have lights as well which are required for anything 48" past the end of your rig anyway. only problem is my cart is electric. I dont know the exact weight but its more than a gas, which these swivel wheels are designed for. Maybe I can get higher ply tires and beef up the steel if needed.

Sierra66

My EZ-Go electric, with rear seat and six 6-volt Trojan batteries is about 900 pounds

That sounds about right. On their website they said it's not a good idea to use it for electric carts, that it's right at the maximum weight limit. Not sure yet what route were going to go.

Sierra66

Factory specs for a club car precedent electric is 909lbs. Mine is lifted with larger wheels and tires and a rear seat with other electronics. So we're reaching 1000lbs. I believe it's certainly not something that could or should be supported by fabricating something off the frame alone. I'll need wheels to help support it.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We had a 2" receiver hitch installed, or should I say doubled welded onto our 2008 Big Country. We waited until after the warranty had expired because Lippert will void the warranty on the frame with an after market hitch. We pulled the golf cart (electric) for over 3 years this way without any problems. Having another trailer behind the 5th wheel took some getting used to pulling in that the 2nd trailer redistributes the original weight of the Big Country.
2008 Big Country.jpg

Sierra66

The trailer idea is the easiest for sure, but I dont want to have to deal with it when we get somewhere. Not every campground has "storage" space. Also, backing up is a no-go. Im not terribly worried about any warranty coverage...or so called. When it was brand new no one would touch the fact that the fresh water tank fell out of the bottom. I had to replace (with upgraded material) the useless steel straps that were barely put in place and gave way under the tank. There are so many things I would personally reengineer. But I am somewhat a perfectionist. Or at least I expect a large investment to not let me down.

Lou_and_Bette

I think the swivelwheel 58DW with the 6' extension will be my best bet. Price really isn't to bad. Plus is isn't considered a trailer, but an extension of the camper. It will have lights as well which are required for anything 48" past the end of your rig anyway. only problem is my cart is electric. I dont know the exact weight but its more than a gas, which these swivel wheels are designed for. Maybe I can get higher ply tires and beef up the steel if needed.

Mine came with lights and multiple reflectors...I also upgraded from the "C" rated tires to "D" rated ones I found on eTrailer.

- - - Updated - - -

The trailer idea is the easiest for sure, but I dont want to have to deal with it when we get somewhere. Not every campground has "storage" space. Also, backing up is a no-go. Im not terribly worried about any warranty coverage...or so called. When it was brand new no one would touch the fact that the fresh water tank fell out of the bottom. I had to replace (with upgraded material) the useless steel straps that were barely put in place and gave way under the tank. There are so many things I would personally reengineer. But I am somewhat a perfectionist. Or at least I expect a large investment to not let me down.

We traveled 7k miles through the Southwest last year and I never had to unhook my trailer. Don't worry about backing up with the trailer attached, if you can back the 5'r you can do it just as easily with the extension in place. IMHO