Goodyear G rated tires

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think you'll find on the forum that we've only had, I believe, one report of a Sailun tire failure. Heartland has been putting them on the heavier fifth wheels since, generally, the 2015 model year (2014 builds, essentially). Not sure why you would be losing that much pressure in that short a time. We maintain our Sailuns at 110 psi (cold) and I probably have to put a few pounds in them maybe every three months or so (i.e. when they get down to 104-105 cold psi).

It's your money so you can replace them if you want. A good set of seven Goodyear G614's will run you around $2,500 mounted and balanced. If you go that route, might offer the takeoffs for sale on the forum as I'm sure someone would be interested in them.

Compare the cost of those G614's to about $1100 to have the Sailun S637's mounted and balanced. Got 5 of them from SimpleTire for $885 and had a local tire dealer (that specializes in heavy equipment) mount and balance them for $200.

Even with the Freestars that came with the rig, most they ever dropped down to from 110psi was about 105 psi after sitting in winter storage.

I have run Sailun S637's for 7 years & last year put on a new set because of date codes.
I have never had 1 problem with them in 8 years.
Sailun tires are as good as Goodyear.
I believe better than Goodyear.
Many people don't know this, but they run these on 18 wheelers.
If you have followed this forum for any length of time you will find a ton more complaints against Goodyear tires than Sailun tires.
Check out your Aluminum Rims, last Winter I had to replace one because of a crack.
Check for loose valve stems & cores.
Let us know what you find.

Hockster

esscobra

you can get the g614 at discount tire for 288.00 ea and 30 for the warranties- just did it on my newbighorn on april -my customer who manufactures trailers- heavy duty goosenecks and cargo- says keep them inflated and will never have problems- he runs them on the company delivery trailers- for all who say they are great and they want them on their trailers- nobody seemed to keen to buy my month old ones -

greatheron

MD Chapter Member
Actually, there are some older Heartlands that had Sailuns back before 2010, before Heartland started using TowMax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had them on our 2011 BH 3610 and never had a problem, until I took off the TPS's when we went to trade it in. Had a flat the morning we were to leave, but come to find out it was a loose stem valve! I bet the 24 hr. On-call service guy loved me with that call at 4:15AM !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tree14

I'm curious to know what brand of tire is on your trailer?

We're on our second set of Goodyear G-614's and have been thoroughly satisfied with them.
The tires that came on our Cyclone 4200 are PowerMax, they blew up 2/3 R/R .
2669c2fd3701de55ae3a733304f7dde0.jpg
3091cce80e77700ef6ff85d8a8682678.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Cyclone 4200 2016

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Wow, can you check the yellow sticker on the off door side of your rig-- what tires does it say should be on it?

Next, what is the manufacture date of your rig?

As of June 2015, Heartland was advertising that all Toyhaulers would now have Sailun G rated tires.

If yours was manufactured after June 2015, and the sticker states G rated tires, then its possible your dealer switched tires before you bought it.

LBR

We've had the discussion 2 months ago about Tree14 tires being switched out between build date and his purchase (dealer), however never got verification about his inquiry into the matter.

I hold firm that they left factory as Saliuns and morphed into Towmaxes before his purchase...Grrrrr! https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=65126

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It would be nice if maybe the window sticker equivalent for our RV's had printed on them which tires were on it when it left the factory.

That we we could tell if the dealer swapped out the tires . . .

avvidclif

By VIN # Heartland can probably tell you what it had on it when it left the factory. Worth a try anyway. I know they checked my rims to make sure they were rated for 110 lb.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It would be nice if maybe the window sticker equivalent for our RV's had printed on them which tires were on it when it left the factory.

That we we could tell if the dealer swapped out the tires . . .

The sticker on the rig does tell what size tires should be used, but not the brand.

If the sticker says G rated (110 psi) , but the tires are E rated (80 psi), a switch was made.

8e188e47e4aa170a307867c157dfba1f.png

RandyDeb

Another good way to check for leaks would be a spray bottle with soap and water. Works better with the trailer weight on the tire. Spray the tire/wheel and watch for bubbles...

jakoenig1

I think you'll find on the forum that we've only had, I believe, one report of a Sailun tire failure. Heartland has been putting them on the heavier fifth wheels since, generally, the 2015 model year (2014 builds, essentially). Not sure why you would be losing that much pressure in that short a time. We maintain our Sailuns at 110 psi (cold) and I probably have to put a few pounds in them maybe every three months or so (i.e. when they get down to 104-105 cold psi).

It's your money so you can replace them if you want. A good set of seven Goodyear G614's will run you around $2,500 mounted and balanced. If you go that route, might offer the takeoffs for sale on the forum as I'm sure someone would be interested in them.

Discount tire in Knoxville, TN put 4 Goodyear G614's on my trailer for $1,284 out the door, mounted, balanced, and 9% sales tax. Simpletire will ship them to you for $1,224.

I will never buy a foreign made trailer tire again. I have failed 8 tires from 4 different manufacturers in the last 8 years. I believe they have some serious quality control issues.

BigGuy82

Discount tire in Knoxville, TN put Goodyear G614's on my trailer for $1,284 out the door, mounted, balanced, and 9% sales tax. Not sure where the $2,500 came from? Simpletire will ship them to you for $1,224.

I will never buy a foreign made trailer tire again. I have failed 8 tires from 4 different manufacturers in the last 8 years. I believe they have some serious quality control issues.

I bought a Sailun ST235/85R16G for $162.45 from Tredit Tire - it is used for a second spare. $162.45 X 4 = $649.80. I can buy a lot of mounting and balancing for 600 bucks. By the way, mounted on a new steel rim, balanced and delivered to my door, it was $228.68 - you can do the math.

I've listened to your reasons for not buying foriegn tires and it's your money and your prerogative to use whatever you want - nobody cares because it's your business. Also, Goodyear is a good brand - I don't see anyone here knocking them. However, a lot of us do feel that the Sailuns are a good value and in fact, I don't ever remember seeing a complaint about them. I've had 3 RV's (a trailer, a Class A and now a fiver), two boat trailers and various small trailers in my life and I've only had one blown tire, it was American made and it was my fault. I was young and foolish and was doing 85 on a 65 mph rated tire.

Based on everything you've been writing about, if you've blown 8 tires from 4 manufacturers in 8 years, you may also want to look at your usage as well as the brand. Of course, it may be coincidence, it may be the brands but it may also be something that you are doing - it seems like a lot to me.

jakoenig1

I bought a Sailun ST235/85R15G for $162.45 from Tredit Tire - it is used for a second spare. $162.45 X 4 = $649.80. I can buy a lot of mounting and balancing for 600 bucks. By the way, mounted on a new steel rim, balanced and delivered to my door, it was $228.68 - you can do the math.

I've listened to your reasons for not buying foriegn tires and it's your money and your prerogative to use whatever you want - nobody cares because it's your business. Also, Goodyear is a good brand - I don't see anyone here knocking them. However, a lot of us do feel that the Sailuns are a good value and in fact, I don't ever remember seeing a complaint about them. I've had 3 RV's (a trailer, a Class A and now a fiver), two boat trailers and various small trailers in my life and I've only had one blown tire, it was American made and it was my fault. I was young and foolish and was doing 85 on a 65 mph rated tire.

Based on everything you've been writing about, if you've blown 8 tires from 4 manufacturers in 8 years, you may also want to look at your usage as well as the brand. Of course, it may be coincidence, it may be the brands but it may also be something that you are doing - it seems like a lot to me.

Well, five of them were OEM tires on brand new trailers and we know trailer manufacturers buy quality tires ( Don't they use Sailuns now?). One trailer was a Forest River bumper pull ( cant remember the tire brand but were made in China) and the other is a 2014 Heartland Big Country 3650RL with Towmax tires. I do average 6,000 miles per year. I do drive 65 to 70 MPH. I have a TPMS and four of the failures were found during inspection before they exploded. Three were purchased in the aftermarket.

The foreign manufacturers want you to believe it is your fault the tires failed. It is not my fault. Maybe Sailun's are an exception. I did read that they are an ISO certified plant which I suspect is rare in China. Maxxis tires have a good reputation and are made in Taiwan, which is a different country from China. Average GDP per person in Taiwan is $50,000, average in china $8,500. Maybe if you pay your labor force more, you end up with better quality tires. Honda builds cars in China and pays their workers $0.50 per hour. I suspect they make less at tire manufacturers.

If it is my fault, why did three year old used Michelin LT245's with a 3040 lb rating last longer than the Gladiator G rated tires with a 4,000 lb rating? I put Michelins on the Forest river and never had another problem but I only kept it a year and bought the Big Country. I ran two on the Big Country for over 8,000 miles and still looked great when I put the G614's on.

I am not sure how many rigs have Sailun tires but I think they are only using them on heavier rigs. Certainly, the more tires in use, the more complaints you are going to get, doesn't matter if they are Goodyears or Sailuns. Time and exposure will tell if they are as good as the G614's.

I for one do not want to buy tires from a country that has no environmental regulations, has a poor quality record, and pays their workers 50 cents per hour. I will gladly pay the higher cost of US made tires.

BigGuy82

Well, five of them were OEM tires on brand new trailers and we know trailer manufacturers buy quality tires ( Don't they use Sailuns now?). One trailer was a Forest River bumper pull ( cant remember the tire brand but were made in China) and the other is a 2014 Heartland Big Country 3650RL with Towmax tires. I do average 6,000 miles per year. I do drive 65 to 70 MPH. I have a TPMS and four of the failures were found during inspection before they exploded. Three were purchased in the aftermarket.

The foreign manufacturers want you to believe it is your fault the tires failed. It is not my fault. Maybe Sailun's are an exception. I did read that they are an ISO certified plant which I suspect is rare in China. Maxxis tires have a good reputation and are made in Taiwan, which is a different country from China. Average GDP per person in Taiwan is $50,000, average in china $8,500. Maybe if you pay your labor force more, you end up with better quality tires. Honda builds cars in China and pays their workers $0.50 per hour. I suspect they make less at tire manufacturers.

If it is my fault, why did three year old used Michelin LT245's with a 3040 lb rating last longer than the Gladiator G rated tires with a 4,000 lb rating? I put Michelins on the Forest river and never had another problem but I only kept it a year and bought the Big Country. I ran two on the Big Country for over 8,000 miles and still looked great when I put the G614's on.

I am not sure how many rigs have Sailun tires but I think they are only using them on heavier rigs. Certainly, the more tires in use, the more complaints you are going to get, doesn't matter if they are Goodyears or Sailuns. Time and exposure will tell if they are as good as the G614's.

I for one do not want to buy tires from a country that has no environmental regulations, has a poor quality record, and pays their workers 50 cents per hour. I will gladly pay the higher cost of US made tires.

As I said - your prerogative. Of course, it's always great to buy American but we are way past equating quality with American made. My iPhone is a thing of beauty. I am extremely happy with my Sailun tires. I'm also exrtremely happy with my Ford truck, a good portion of which was manufactured overseas. My appliances? Those Koreans sure do a good job (by the way, try buying an appliance that isn't manufactured somewhere else, even if it has an American brand AND most of the American brands are made in Mexico). Last week, a member of this forum responded to a post I left about a defective wheel bearing and he suggested using Timken bearings - a tried and true American brand. One problem - the Timken bearing was also made in China. Doh! By the way, Goodyear has 9 Asian plants, 19 European plants, 16 US plants, 3 Bralillian plants, 3 Canadian plants, 4 South American plants in various countries and is in the process of building a $550 million plant in Mexico. Where were your tires made? Think there's a chance they will also go off shore if they haven't already?

Regarding the environment, in 2011, researchers at the University of Massachusetts Amherst identified Goodyear as the 19th-largest corporate producer of air pollution in the United States, with roughly 4.16 million lbs of toxins released into the air annually. Do the Chinese companies pollute more? How do I know? Because the government tells me so? If this is a concern of yours, you may need to evaluate Goodyears track record worldwide - maybe it's not as stellar as you think, especially if they operate under the laws of those countries.

Regarding quality, even though I am satisfied with my Bighorn after working out all the bugs, it is hardly what I would have called a "quality" product out of the factory. The previously mentioned American brands of appliances (made in Mexico) have not been reliable for me, which is why I went Korean.

Worker pay? Wages are commensurate with the wage/income structure of that country. Comparing them to US wages means nothing. American workers need to compete and be more productive or realize that regardless of what they think or what seems fair, their income will continue to deteriorate (by the way, I think we are on a good path right now but we still have a long way to go). And by the way, paying a kid that works at McDonalds $15/hour as mandated by the great state of New York does not help the disparity between US and Chinese wages.

You're a Goodyear fan and that's great - good product. That's the great thjing about America - choices. That doesn't change the fact that those of us who use Sailun's are using a top quality product from a reliable manufacturer. In fact, given the choice between high priced Goodyears and reasonably priced Sailuns, I'm guessing that most folks who have used Sailuns will replace with them. From my viewpoint, even if the price disparity wasn't so great, I'd still replace with Sailun - they have earned my confidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good. At this point I think everyone is just restating the same thoughts over and over.
I agree. But, the conversatiuon has expanded into areas well beyond the original post.

We are now into environment, wages, patriotism, etc.

You're correct. Time to pull the plug on this one (my opinion).

brianlajoie

I had a tire lose air on our new trailer - thought it was a Towmax "feature". After changing to new tires, found out I had a pin hole in the rim. Tredit stood behind the wheel and replaced it. Had to have tire shop submerge tire to see it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hey Dan & Ann and Brian & Jan . . .

Missed you guys at the Ft. Collins Rally this past weekend.

Garry will probably tell you all about it when he gets there (Goshen) tomorrow!