Goodyear G614

phranc

he Goodyear Tire store in town quoted me $314.. as a cash and carry deal (some deal )
and an independent dealer quoted 275.. Balanced and new steel stems..
Is this about what you guys are paying ??

5erWonk

Last week I was quoted $283 installed, this week they are up to $294, but he can only find two right now.

This guy supplies our fleet tires and I know he is only marking up 15%.

phranc

Thanks there 5erwonk.. I was about to take the $275 deal .Just had 1 more dealer to check with and was sure it would not pan out .. To my surprise he quoted me $240 plus Mnt and Bal. an additional 15.95.. I jumped on that . Thanks for the replies..

5erWonk

Phrank,

Great price, might be worth driving to Palm Springs.....

2Uteggs,

Don't know where your tires are mfg, just look on the sidewalls it says where.

pslincs

Good job on replacing the tires, getting rid of the junk goodyear "trailer" tires. I read in the forums here the tire problems, we blew a sidewall on a tire on the way home from the dealer upon the initial pickup. Next trip before we went out was 6 new BF Goodrich 235/85/16 They are about 1/2' taller than the stock tires. No clearance probs at all. The next issue, before it becomes on is the axles. Going to swap the 3 spring ride for torsion ride with the wider brakes.............Change your tires now, not on the road!

deee2

well, you all convinced us! We just ordered the Goodyear G614s... and hope they get here before ournext trip out in three weeks. I know we'll feel more confident. What do you all do with your old (yet new) china bombs?

Donna :)

Forrest Fetherolf

well, you all convinced us! We just ordered the Goodyear G614s... and hope they get here before ournext trip out in three weeks. I know we'll feel more confident. What do you all do with your old (yet new) china bombs?

I trashed the Trail America tires..............didn't want anyone to get hurt or RV damaged.

Forrest

Retyred

Trail America Tires

I had Trail America Tires on my Grand Canyon. With only 9500 miles I had a blow out. I had maintained my tires always checking pressure and visual inspections. When ever we stopped I always did a walk around, checking trailer and truck tires. Like most I wanted to make another trip as the tires looked OK and I thought it would never happen to me. Well it is not only the cost of the 4 tires at $1048.36 now I have a deductible to pay, which would have bought one tire with money left over toward a second tire. Now my coach has received considerable damage. It does not look so bad in the picture but the wall has separated from the floor. You can see the insulation and wall stud when looking up from underneath. There is also the dangerous position you are in on the side of a busy hi-way. Thank goodness I had Good Sam road side assistance, they were there in an hour and got me on my way. With out it, the cost of the call would have been $195. My trailer is in the body shop now and the work should be finished tomorrow.
With all of the cheep tires the trailer manufactures are putting on our trailers it is to bad the don't blow when they are being delivered to the dealers. Then you would see a better quality of tire if they had to pay the bill. All they care about is having a tire just good enough to get it delivered to the dealer then it is the customers problem. They are hoping you will take it to a park and never tow it on the road.
For your safety and your families safety up grade your tires get rid of this Chinese junk and buy some quality tires.

Just as an update to this blowout, the cost of repairs totaled $4245.65

Retyred

Attachments

• August 2008 005.jpg
    August 2008 005.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 72
  • August 2008 013.jpg
    August 2008 013.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

pslincs

We went with the 235/85/16 tires, no clearance probs at all. Much, much better tire then the "trailer" tires.

phranc

Finally got a weekend to go camping , so made a short end of season trip.. I would swear that the new GY 614's roll easier . perhaps slightly warmer than the old Trail America's . I do like the nice smooth effortless travel. Canparing the two side by side when un inflated the GY's are 1" shorter and a bunch heavier. No clearance problems at all.... Good tires

billd

Another thought on this is to move to 17.5 inch rims and H rated tires. I have been reading over on the Escapees forum about some that are doing this. The Goodyear 611 H 17.5 tires are the same diamer as the 16 614 G rated tires.

So there would not be a clearance issue in going this way. The cost is a kicker, but you would have a huge safety margin in tire carrying capacity.

Bill

deee2

We're on our first trip since getting the G614s on our Bighorn. DH was happy that our old chocks work again, we had trouble getting them in between the Mission tires, even though they were E rated tires and these are G rated. These are much better tires and YES, we both feel much more secure with them behind us.

deee2

Oh, I forgot. Anyone need any nice new (almost) MISSION TIRES? Maybe need a swing in your tree or something like that??

:)