Gooseneck Adapter

Rszor2

Camping World is advertising a conversion from 5th wheel to gooseneck.
that interests me because you get back part of the truck.
I have a very heavy razor triple axle. Any thoughts

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Gooseneck

Rszor2, welcome to the forum. Lots of good information available here.
It is my recollection that these frames are not designed for use with a goose neck.
You can call Lippert to find out for sure.
Lippert Components Inc.
866-524-7821

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I agree with Dave, the Gooseneck adapter puts a lot of stress on the pin box area during breaking and acceleration. Since you are out of warranty it may not be an issue with you but I wouldn't take the chance. We only have a simple Reese hitch so for me it's less than 5 minutes to remove the hitch.

jbeletti

I recall a couple of forum members who tried the GN adapters and removed them after they got into a situation where they had to make a tight backing turn into a site or into their yard. One I believe said he saw the stress/force start to bend/twist things (adapter/pinbox) and it really scared him. He removed it right away.

I've read many, many times that the 5th wheel upper deck frame we use, is not designed for GN adapter towing. Some have pointed out the way in which GN trailer frames are built around the GN area. Very beefy and well gusseted.

This all said, I have never GN towed, am not an engineer and cannot fabricate metal. But I do read alot :)

DMitch

I don't have any first hand experience with this type hitch. But, my son in law just went thru this. I relayed all I have read on this forum about it and he said he did a lot of research before he finally did it. He told me that Reese has a new hitch of this type and it is approve by the frame manufacturers. I have seen the hitch, the entire pin box is changed and contrains air bags. I have no idea if this is really the case with the manufacturers or not. Just passing along what was told to me. Maybe a call to Lippert and Reese might shed some light. He did it because he has a couple other trailers with that hitch hookup. I think he said it was on the expensive side, somewhere around 13-1400 dollars installed.

caissiel

My pin box frame broke on the previous trailer. It happened after my trailer was towed in an emergency by an operator with a GN. Its a story by itself as I had refuse to put the GN on my unit.
I did some stress analysis on my frame then and found that the fram was only designed for down forces with no safety margin for flex.
The frame will holdt the pin weight but on braking and uphill pull it will add 3 times the pressure on the pin frame.
As I had found on the old trailer, the fram broke enough that loading on the failed beam had broken all the weld an beam moved and bend up over .5 inch. And that while no loads applied, it was permanent damage that so I have blamed the GN.
TO ME IT SCARES ME EVERY TIME I SEE ONE OF THOSE ON AN Rv. BEWARE.

rustyshakelford

I have the goosebox by Reese. I have had nothing but problems. I had to drill two new holes thru it to get it to mount up when it was supposed to be bolt on. On the maiden voyage, we had an airbag failure that diminished the trailer/truck bed clearance. I didn't know it and when backing in to a spot, the truck bed got into the trailer neck. $4k in damage. When it works it was great but until Reese makes things right with us, I'm hard pressed to recommend it.

Brett

jbeletti

I reached out to Lippert about the Goosebox and was told that "it is approved".

Here's an article from RV Business about it:

Lippert Named to Supply New Reese ‘Goose Box’

August 16, 2011 by RV Business

Lippert Components Inc., a subsidiary of Drew Industries Inc. and a leading supplier of components for the RV industry, announced today (Aug. 16) that it has been designated the exclusive supplier of Cequent Performance Products’ innovative new patent pending Reese “Goose Box” adaptor for gooseneck hitches.

“The ‘Goose Box’ is a great solution for fifth-wheel RV users who prefer to use gooseneck hitches,” Jason Lippert, CEO of Goshen Ind.-based Lippert Components, said in a press release. “We are very pleased with the results of the thorough testing of the Goose Box, which demonstrates that it is compatible with our RV frame. As a result, the proper installation of a Goose Box pin box will be acceptable under our RV frame warranty.”

The company said that the airbag technology used in the “Goose Box” reduces the stress transferred to the RV frame. The combination of the airbag, dual shocks and rubber bumpers used in the “Goose Box” provides multi-directional shock absorption for a smoother driving experience that RV enthusiasts will greatly appreciate.

rustyshakelford

I reached out to Lippert about the Goosebox and was told that "it is approved".

Here's an article from RV Business about it:

Lippert Named to Supply New Reese ‘Goose Box’

August 16, 2011 by RV Business

Lippert Components Inc., a subsidiary of Drew Industries Inc. and a leading supplier of components for the RV industry, announced today (Aug. 16) that it has been designated the exclusive supplier of Cequent Performance Products’ innovative new patent pending Reese “Goose Box” adaptor for gooseneck hitches.

“The ‘Goose Box’ is a great solution for fifth-wheel RV users who prefer to use gooseneck hitches,” Jason Lippert, CEO of Goshen Ind.-based Lippert Components, said in a press release. “We are very pleased with the results of the thorough testing of the Goose Box, which demonstrates that it is compatible with our RV frame. As a result, the proper installation of a Goose Box pin box will be acceptable under our RV frame warranty.”

The company said that the airbag technology used in the “Goose Box” reduces the stress transferred to the RV frame. The combination of the airbag, dual shocks and rubber bumpers used in the “Goose Box” provides multi-directional shock absorption for a smoother driving experience that RV enthusiasts will greatly appreciate.

thats what i thought too! i called heartland to confirm my pin box (1621HD), pulled off the original (sticker says 1621HD) and asked another member here with the same trailer before ordering. I weighted our rig also to make sure we were within the limits. In theory, the goosebox would be great. it could definitely use a couple refinements to make it easier to use as far as accessibility.

our trailer has been at ron hoover in houston since Feb 27 and hopefully itll be coming home soon so that i can dig into the problems with the hitch. i have a feeling it has to do with the pressure relief valve. I can air it up and itll sit all day long, but as soon as i make a slow turn onto the road i heard it purge air. it rides like a cloud, but for literally 5 mins.

the installation was a nightmare. drilling a 5/8 hole thru a brand new $1k hitch will make you sick. reese wanted pics galore for their engineers and they were the ones that came back and told me to drill it. im having a hard time believing that there are very many of these on the roads. i cant be the only guy experiencing these issues

brett

riverrat

I have run a GN adapter since the late '90s, on all the 5'ers we owned the only trailer frame that broke was from a 5th wheel hitch, which is why I went with a adapter. At the time I didn't know that they made them and made my own. the biggest 5'er I've had was a 3400rl montana over 16,000# loaded. I travel for work so on to go alot and a lot of miles. One of the guys that I work with has a cougar and noticed his front cargo door was getting tight he found that the frame was twisting, after calling the mfg he also found that for about 1 1/2 years this was a design defect he runs the 5th wheel hitch. Anyways I pulled the skin down on mine to check it out same mfg and no problems or concerns. I'm a millwright by trade 35 years and know what to look for. IMHO I would not run a 5th wheel, when you run out of movement on the hitch you start twisting the frame as per my 1'st trailer and when I want or need to move down to road I have the HP and torque to do it. I'm also on diesel forums and we get into some dicussions about FW verses GN and it is hard for me to believe when they say they have seen lots of broken frames when in the parks and I see a GN adapter I usually go and ask them if they like it and had seen bent or broken frames, not one as of yet using the adapter.

lwmcguir

I have noted on this forum that about 24% of the campers in my area all have GN adapters. Various brands and most in the 32-40 foot range. None of us have had any problems but we don't drive hard and potholes are minimal compared to some parts of the country I have traveled. The concern I have with the adapter is a sudden stop. That is why we upgraded the axles and brakes. Towing the stress is very close to the 5th wheel. Panic stopping is a different mater if your coach wont stop itself. Enough that you aren't significantly pushing forward on the GN adapter. If you have a standard hitch then riverrat is right on. A lot more stress is applied to you frame via the 5th Wheel hitch/pin when you are making turns while the elevation is changing between the Coach and TV. This ususally happens in hilly campgrounds or off roads with deep dips. Great reason for going with the newer hitches that allow a lot more movement. Since we tow a lot of 5th wheel trailers that all have good necks, we have the GN adapter mounted and have towed for the last three years. Same deal on all the 5th wheel camper trailers we have owned for the past 30 or so years. Before that we had TT's. Certainly hoping not to have any issues related to the frame. On a side note we were at a camper dealer a while back and the tech dropped a 40' Coach off the bobcat when moving it. How much stress do you think that put on the front of the coach? I think the Resse goose box will be the way to go when it is tweaked a bit more. Makes sense to me and HL should make a custom cover for it as an option package.