gooseneck

By what logic or reasoning do you void the warrenty if towed with a gooseneck in place? The hitch isn't affected by either a fifth wheel or a gooseneck, the weight of the hitch is resting on either one. What am I missing?

jayc

Legendary Member
The gooseneck hitch puts a different strain on the frame that supports the hitch. Notice on a stock trailer with a gooseneck that the hitch has huge gussets to support, not that way with a fifth wheel hitch.

Having pulled both, I guess I don't understand how a different strain is put on, The hitch on the rv doesn't know what it is resting on while being pulled, it is resting on a fifth wheel or gooseneck. Please enlighten me on this subject.

Also, as far as a stock trailer, it has to be built stronger, it handles a much more amount of weight than a rv fith wheel.

Grdsman

It has to do with the amount of torque being put on it when pulling or stopping. The gooseneck hitch has more vertical length than the fifth wheel hitch. This straight up-and-down distance allows more torque on the frame where the hitch mounts to the trailer. It would not be a big deal if the supports that go back at a dramatic angle were present with the gooseneck adapters like the standard goosenecks have.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just look at the front of a horse trailer with a goose neck pin box...like they said those large vertical gussets take "back and forth" stress when stopping and starting...no such gussets on a fifth wheel, the pin box will be greatly affected by that motion during take offs and stops...thus, the voiding of the fifth wheel warranty if a goose neck adapter is added.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
These guys are absolutly right. I own and/or have access to several trailers here on the farm and most are bed mount or gooseneck. I even converted my sundance so I would not have to deal with the 5er hitch and the dealer threw it in. The stopping and starting momentum does put additonal strain on but I wouldn't be over concerned unless you have something happen such as a collision, get the trailer stuck or anything else that might put excessive strain on the trailer. If this happens I would definatley check the hitch before continueing on.

Just my insight in the matter. I life on the farm and 23 years as a Construction Equipment Operator/Supervisor in the Army I just have lots of experiance with pulling heavy junk.

I also am able to move my 5er around with the rest of the trailers with my tractor so I can mow and stuff.

Bottom line is just be aware of what your doing and you should be OK. JMHO

On another note, my dealer in Muskogee failed to mention the void warrenty!

lwmcguir

Most of the 5th Wheels in my area use GN Adapters. Keep the GN as short as you can with the Coach level. I also use a 5th Airborn Pin and that really helps on the stress. I have enough brakeing power on the coach to stop it so I dont worry about it pushing the TV as many do. My dealer told me it would void Lipperst Warranty. Excel is just down the road from here and many of theirs are towed by GN hitches. It is the only way I have ever towed a 5th Wheel for the past 40 plus years.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would imagine the chucking that we feel with the standard pin would also add to the stress on the 5th wheel frame. That is unless the GN hitch reduces chucking. Having a GN would certainly eliminate the interference with the rear of the pin box and my tonneau cover frame.

caissiel

After breaking the Pin Box Frame, and analyzing the design of my previous RV 5th wheel hitch, that was previously emergency towed with a GN and Jake Brake Setup, I would absolutely never put a GN on an RV designed for 5th wheel. There is no factor of safety build in for the GN and if the brakes fail on the trailer the hitch will end up in my back. No way for me.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI - Not too long ago I was at the factory getting some repairs done. While there, another 5er was in that had a goose neck adapter hitch on it with frame problems. Lippert came to evaluate the damage and I hear them say no way would they cover the damage because the unit had a goose neck adapter on it. Thought you might like to know.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
It doesn't matter wheather we like it or not, understand it or not the last word comes from Lippert and like Jimmy pointed out in the above post, Lippert will not warrant their frame when there is a gooseneck adapter installed.