Gps ?

marilymar

Just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 660. Have not used yet,, but wonder how they work when pulling the big 5th wheel. Don't want to get into a situation where there would be a underpass not high enough for the TT or a weight limit problem! Probably no way to put those type of perimeters in the GPS. Any experience out there using the GPS with a large TT?

I have the Nuvi 200W and I am well satisfied with it. It does take a little time to locate the satellite, but not unbearable. I do agree that the route I would normally take to work is not the one that the GPS recommends, but I don't use the GPS to go to work. I find that the routes the GPS gives is the same routes that Mapquest gives. It seems that they route you through the more traveled or major roads. All that being said I like and use mine.

Here's another vote for the Garmin Nuvi 750. We love ours. The screen (4.3") is easy to read, the audible is very good, especially when run thru your FM receiver. I pretty much agree with it's routing. Has several other features, like photo viewing that we haven't used yet but look handy. No complaints at all. Found it brand new on Ebay for about $360

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One of the things you can do on a Garmin is tell it you want it to direct you and you are a Truck. Now it will take you some places you may not normally go because it might be hard for a truck to go there.. If you change it to Car and Motorcycle it will take you to different routes..

As I fulltime I like to just run around and look at different places. If it was not for my Garmin I would never make it back to the campsite. Garmin has a waypoint you can click called home.. Everytime I stop at a campground I click the home waypoint and that gets me back.

My DW is not a computer person, so I am not able to use the laptop and Streets & Trips while on the road. Now if she is driving that is another story. And she is a good driver. Backs better than I do..

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Just bought the Nuvi 750. Also updated to the 2009 maps and loaded in a bunch of POI files. We really like the it and it is easy to use, directions good and re-calculation of route is quick. Here is a site with lots of additional Points of Interest files.
www.poi-factory.com

I use the DeLorme Street Atlas with a LT-40 hooked to my macbook running windows. I get a 13" screen. I take the laptop with me when I travel. My Chevy 2500 has navigation but the system is not that great. Also map already out of date (could not find an address in San Luis Obispo that was 4 years old) and it was a 2007 buy. Chevy dealer said it was $450 to get a new disk (what a ripoff).

PUG

Pug
I had a Magellan and hated it. Too hard to get around in it and poor support. I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 260W after watching my brothers Nuvi 700 something and really liking how easy it was to get around in it. I didn't want to spend the money for the 700 series and don't need the FM/ Road Hazard/ Bluetooth/ etc. junk. I just want a easy to use GPS and the 260W does that. One thing it doesn't have as you said you wanted is the routing. YOu can go from point A to Point B with one via point but that is not a biggee to me. When I get to where I want to go I just put in the next location as saved in my favorites and away we go. Not a problem. Buying any Nuvi right now you get the 2009 maps update free if it is not already loaded. I have one other Garmin that i use for trail riding and it has been a rock solid dependable and easy to use gps.

fmurray3

I have the Garmin Zumo 450 and am like some of the others I can plan the whole trip on the laptop including fuel stops using waypoints. The Zumo is also made for use on motorcycles and is used for trips on out Harley's, therefore no matter what vehicle we use the Zumo will fit and work on it.

rjr6150

We have the Garmin 760 recently upgraded from a C330 and love it. Would recommend getting the sandbag type mount as the suction cup did our C330 let go on one hot day and the screen caught my console. Cost to replace the screen $150 and being able to buy the 760 at cost thought what the heck.

deee2

We just got the Garmin Nuvi 680. The 660 would have been fine, but we got the 680 for the same price. The only difference is the 680 has MSN Direct free for a year. No good to us on the West Coast, as it has verrrrrrry few coverage areas. But we LOVE the unit. Have been playing with it testing it out before our big trip in August. The grand-daughter was in the car wanting to know "who was that"? So I said Nancy. Nancy has stuck, and she goes with us from now on. lol Must be my new sister.

Donna ;)

deee2

Oh, I forgot... thanks to the advice on here we got a sandbag to go with it, and NOT the Garmin one. It's terrific! We take Nancy from truck to car or out of both, so it's quite handy.

Donna :)

Fordsd250

What is the sand bag mount?? I need something other than the suction cup mount. We are having a lot of hot days and I can't keep my Garmin on the dash.:confused:

rjr6150

You have two choices that I know of one is direct to the Garmin site and check under accessories or the company I work for Cabela's sell a universal sand bag go to cabelas.com and type in the upper right corner set # 523253
NavMat Portable GPS Dash Mount Item:IJ-523253$24.99

deee2

We didn't like the Garmin one, but really like the one we got at Best Buy. It may be the one Randy & Kathy mentioned, not sure. It's a good sized circle, filled with sand and the bottom is slip resistant. You mouth your GPS into that using the suction, and it doesn't go anyplace. The sandbag itself just sits on your dash, and doesn't seem to slip so far. The nice thing is you can easily lift it off to use in your other vehicle or to hide from view.

Donna :)

morganm12

George
Hello all;
Does anyone use the copilot laptop gps. It has a RV feature and 12'6" and 13' overpass warning. I just bought one but am considering returning it for the garmin Mobil pc software version. The copilot voice only tells you to exit but not what exit. It also has a problem when we put in an address it doesn't like. My Ruth gps system on occasion sent me the wrong way when I was low on fuel.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Garmin c550 stolen

As I said in a recent post we were in Florida last week on vacation.We left around 1:30 pm on Friday the 8th.We arrived in Atlanta,Ga around 6:30 and decided to eat supper and spend the night there and drive the remaining 5 hrs to Panama Beach on Saturday.Well when we got back in the truck on Saturday morning,boy was I surprised. All my stuff was out of the center console and my gps was gone. Now ,I know I locked the truck,all windows up.There was no sign that anyone had broken in.But my Garmin was gone.That was all they got.Maybe I did not lock the truck,but I never get out of the truck without locking it.My son tells me that a thief can use some type of a device that will record my unlock code when I use my key fobe then all they have to do of course is use the code to unlock the doors. Anyway we reported it to the hotel and the guy at the desk said well you should have taken it in with us because times are hard.Yes times are hard,but that did not make it right for someone to take my stuff.I did not like his attitude at all.I knew they nor the law could do nothing to help me,but I felt the hotel needed to know they had a problem.Anyway Garmin has a new home and we had a safe,wonderful trip.

davebennington

Terry,

Sorry to hear about your loss, I hope you did not have "home" programmed in your GPS as this is a way the low life's are using to steal more from you, now they have directions to your front door.

Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Terry...sorry to hear about your GPS being stolen. Future DIL just had her's stolen and her car window broken out to get it. We've been told to remove ALL indication of a GPS, i.e., suction cup, wiring, etc. and to take the unit with us, for this very reason.

We have been researching GPS's in the last week or so and also just got one. Decided on the Garmin 885...the reasoning is that I navigate but also drive separately in our small car...can't check maps when driving so I wanted something I could "talk" to and make adjustments when necessary. So far, after some adjusting by the folks at Garmin...it downloaded the wrong set of maps...they had to fix that...it seems to be doing pretty good.

Earlier someone asked about using it for height information...NO Garmin unit has the capability to provide that info YET...Garmin is introducing, sometime in June, the 465T. This unit is specifically designed for the trucking industry and is supposed to have that much sought after capability, along with width restrictions and other truck info. It will cost $500, and you can place orders right now at the Best Buy website.

TxBobcat...not all Garmins will let you change from car to truck...it is mostly the older streetpilot units that do this. Most, if not all of the Nuvi units do NOT. Mine will only allow car, bike and pedestrian changes...wish it would give me that option.

We're getting ready to really test it as we're headed from PA to Missouri for the Escapade...will let you guys know how well it does...keep your fingers crossed...;)

Bobby A

I just picked up the Garmin 885 at Costco online, its on sale this month only for 299.99. I heard its over 600.00 at Best Buy. Sounds like a good deal to me, I to wish Garmin had that truck feature though.

We have the NUVI 750. Works like a charm. One feature I really like is the ability to play back directions through the truck stereo.