Grand Canyon bedroom slide

skh

I have a 2011 Grand Canyon which at purchase I had intended to keep updating every two years or so. Well, it didn't happen and the year I was going to do it, when I looked the super slide bedroom and desk with kitchen peninsula was no longer available!

So, even though my husband says get rid of it I am inclined to keep this trailer..the only floor plan like this seems to be available in a DRV Suite model.

One problem is there has been a loose, unattached cable hangs at the stair side of bedroom slide when out. Slide still works but is a worry. I've looked and can't really see where it needs to be joined to another end of cable. Also the carpet in the closet opposite the bathroom in this slide gets wet when it rains. No sign of moisture on wall though and nothing towards or under the bed. I've looked and looked at the seals and re caulked the slide. Still gets damp. Any ideas here? I plan to re caulk the entire trailer this winter too although I don't think it's gotten any damage, there are cracks in the caulk. It goes in a heated building in the winter so I don't even winterize it, but is out and in use pretty much May-Nov.

Also should overhaul the underbelly and have seen where others have done this and will continue to read about it with interest as I need a little more psyching up for that project. My main reason for updating would be a more 4 season full time unit which this really isn't. The yeti package would maybe help this but I still think the slide outs would need more insulation too. If I do the underbelly I will try to do something at the fresh water T where we will be froze up before we get out of here in November.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your damp carpet in that closet could be getting water leakage from the bedroom window.
When you checked the caulking did you look directly over the closet? I would caulk the top and two sides of that window.
The slide cables are attached, one end to the slide and the other to an adjustment device on a chain. You will only see this chain if you remove the head of the bed platform or crawl in from the stair case when the slide is retracted.
You may have a broken cable.
Here is a link to a cable replacement video guide. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
HL still makes the Bighorn 3585RL that is very similar to the Grand Canyon (Link). One difference is that they went from a wrap around peninsula to an island but they made it long enough to have the couch in the rear and recliners across from the television. We also have a GC and love it. Trying to decide on one of the new 365 floorplans but it's hard to give up a plan we love so much.