Grand Canyon recommendations?

maryj

Hi all, We are starting to plan a grand canyon trip. Does anyone have any recommendations on campgrounds and/or activities? We have the guidebooks, but i like to get personal recommendations/considerations. Planning our trip for Sept/Oct. We have the EdgeM18. Thanks for any information. Mary J

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We will be making a trip through the Grand Canyon area in March of 2013 and I've done a little research for campgrounds/rv parks in the area. So far I've come up with 3 that would work for us (although our Landmark is a little bigger than your Edge!). I haven't received any 'word of mouth' recommendations on any of these yet so take it for what it's worth.

Trailer Village - in Grand Canyon Village, full hook ups
Grand Canyon Camper Village - in Grand Canyon Village - full hook ups
Grand Canyon/Williams KOA - in Williams - full hook ups

Hopefully someone that has first hand knowledge will respond as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park in Williams, and rode the train to the south rim. This was a brand new park built next to the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. You are able to use some of the Hotel amenities, as well, including their full buffet. The rv park doesn't have many trees, and is next to the train tracks. But we are train enthusiasts, so this was a good thing! It's very well cared for with big-rig friendly sites.

I will say this, riding the train to the GC, you do not get enough time to see everything at the south rim! So if you do this, plan additional days to go via vehicle.

http://www.thetrain.com/grand-canyon-railway-rv-park-5738.html

jayc

Legendary Member
Another rally group that we were in had a National rally at the Williams KOA. We were not able to go because of work but everyone raved about the park.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We stayed at the Grand Canyon Williams KOA on highway 64 last fall. Very nice park, very new, easy in and out. We were in the front row closest to the highway and noticed traffic noise in the morning but didn't notice it at night. As I remember it there isn't much reason for traffic on that road at night.

MTPockets

We liked the Grand Canyon Village... Stayed there four nights last year in late April to get a decent look at the park.

Last edited:

frumbawa

Trailer Village if you can get in. Nothing fancy but you are in the park. The canyon rim is within reasonable walking distance and everything else is accessible via shuttle.

Have a great time. We did.

Frank

Wolfpackers

Was there in '08. If you really want to see the Canyon, stay at Trailer Village at the South Rim. Reservations are made thru Xanterra, a vendor for the National Park system. The shuttles are great and we drove to some of the easternmost overlooks as well. We spent 3 nights there and it was barely enough as I could look into the canyon for hours at a time and every place you look over from is so different than the others.

If you think you want to stay somewhere else, make sure and check out the campground reviews first...one source is rvparkreviews.com

If you haven't already done so and have time...drive the million dollar highway and go to Mesa Verde, but allow a full day for each.

fawsty

I stayed there in 2010, on the way home from Yellowstone. We stayed at the KOA in Williams, right off the 40. I drove by the other KOA, on the way out to the park. There was nothing out there for shade, and it looked too new for the trees. I highly recommend the Williams KOA, a very nice park. We drove into the park, then took the shuttle buses out to the rims. They are free, and run every 15 minutes. We were there in July, so it was HOT, so the shade was important to us. If you are going in mild climate months, the newer park will work for you, and it's a lot closer to the park entrance. Have a great time there, as we did.

Steven

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have stayed in Williams KOA and in Trailer Villiage in the park. We have a Golden Age card so we could get into the park for free. If you don't have one you have to pay every day to get into the park. We stayed a week in Trailer Villiage last year. Here is Trailer Villiage on RV Park Reviews. I liked Trailer Villiage because we could get up and drive 1/2 mile to the south rim. Saw some mountain goats walking around behind the lodges. However, I was disappointed as to the condition of the park. The site we were assigned had deep ruts and we had to look out for the trees. The services were good. We even had deer wandering through the park in the mornings and evenings.

You should read this if you plan to stay in the park.

View attachment 2011-10-13 Grand Canyon information sheet.pdf

Our Camp site in Trailer Villiage
DSC_4372 [800x600].jpg DSC_4373 [800x600].jpg DSC_4375 [800x600].jpg

The campgrounds in Williams are nice also. We stayed at the Williams KOA shown here.

DSCF0120 [800x600].jpg DSCF0124 [800x600].jpg
Our old SOB

Hope this helps...

BC

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Thanks for all the great reviews everyone! We're planning to be in the area for at least a week to really get the 'experience' so hearing first hand from people that have been there is the best!

scottyb

I can't speak for the RV sites at Grand canyon, but I can speak for the Grand Canyon. if you want to stay away from the crowds, the North Rim only gets about 5% of the visitors. The RV sites do not have hookups but the views are every bit as stunning. It is 1300 feet higher, and cooler. For this reason, it is only open from Mid May - Mid Oct. However, if you really want to see the canyon, from the bottom looking up is one way.

This was on my 50th IMG_0144.jpg

bdb2047

We stayed at Trailer Village earliier this year.Campround is adequate not keep up well.Shuttle from campround to most all of park is the plus.Version cell worked and sattelite was good not a lot of trees.Utilites were good at site.