Gray and Black Tank Valves for a 2014 3950

Wk15

I have been looking over my RV. I have two access points listed below.

I have no idea which handles go to what tanks. Is one of these handles the Black Water Valve???

The RV is a 2014 3950.

Thank You for your help.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Sorting this out seems to be one of the most confusing issues when learning a rig! One would think that there would be some kind of standardization but, alas, we all seem to be on our own. The best way to find out is to buy a clear fitting for your drain hose so you can see what comes out when you pull each valve handle.
As for our rig....the labels on the door do actually follow the order of the valves...top label-left valve.
Good luck!

pcardoza

Ridiculous that they aren't properly labeled, isn't it???

Easy to figure out:

With all tanks empty, close all valves.
Run 10 - 15 Gallons into the toilet
Pull the valves, one at a time, until you figure out which one drains the toilet (black) water.

No need to buy anything........

Janice

Invest in a small label machine. (got mine at a garage sale) Your going to need it. I labeled absolutely everything on my trailer so even a monkey could figure things out.

Herbie

It would be nice if they labeled it. I would think that the front compartment valves are for the front bath 1 gray and 1 black. And the rear valve compartment is for the kitchen 1 gray and rear bath 1(black and gray). You will have to figure it out, by process of elimination as said above.
Start by adding water to the front toilet, enough to see the inside monitor register (tank gauge) then pull a drain valve until you get flow. Do the same with the rear toilet.
Remember it is important to know what gauge and what valve are related. Then write your findings with a sharpie pen inside of the valve door.
And always drop and flush black before gray.

DocFather

Ya can't rely on the tank gauges. Just do what Pcardoza posted. Not too much difficulty figuring this out.

Wk15

I will do that excactly as suggested. Since that tank are all empty and have never been used. it should be very easy.

Thank You gentlemen

CabinetmakerII

I'm a bit late with any input. You probably have this figured out by now. But, just in case... The aft Gray water on my 3800 drains from the forward port. Only aft black water drains out the aft port. Took me a while to figure that one out

Dloebrich

ours were labeled backwards from the factory. That made for a very interesting first trip. The clear plastic fitting will tell you which tank is which.

Sawgie

I am dissatisfied with my 2014 road warrior nothing is labeled the owners Manuel's are outdated for $*****. The manufacturer could have had a video on all controls and clearly mark all connections. I have owned several different campers in my life time and this one is the most confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey sawgie I see you are up in leesville I was up that way today. Is there anything we as a group here can help you with? I would also suggest you getting with your dealer but if it is who I think it may be it's probably not an option. Did they do a pdi/walk through with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sawgie,
My Bighorn has a diagram indicating all the functions of the valves, water connections, et al, in the UDC.
Mine is located on the inside of the UDC compartment door.
Also, try putting water in the kitchen sink. Pull one handle and if you hear water running,
you have pulled the right one. Label it and go to the bathroom, etc

BTW, have you tried calling Heartland Customer Service? Trace

Last edited:

Wk15

i found out that rear handles release the front tanks and the front handles release the rear tanks. It's a little odd but it is what it is.

remoandiris

I am dissatisfied with my 2014 road warrior nothing is labeled the owners Manuel's are outdated for $*****. The manufacturer could have had a video on all controls and clearly mark all connections. I have owned several different campers in my life time and this one is the most confusing.

Your complaint is repeating what many others have said in the past. Apparently HL either doesn't know, doesn't care, expects dealers to handle it, or just doesn't want to spend a few more pennies labeling so customers have one less thing to complain about.

If a lack of labels on your tank handles is the worst you have found, you're doing well, IMO.