Gray Tank Leak - Solved

Skywrench

Full Timer
I noticed that when my front gray tank got full I would get water leaking from the underbelly in my new Edge 397. When I removed the coroplast for an insulation project I inspected everything and did not see anything obvious. Since the leak only occurred when the tank was full, I tried to feel around above the tank to see if it was cracked or something. I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary so I got an inspection mirror and a bright flashlight. I saw where the PVC plumbing entered the tank. I also saw 2 other places with plastic fittings on top of the tank where plumbing could enter. They were near the center of the tank and hard to get to. The problem is that these were not plugged!! I could barely get my fingers up there to feel but the holes were definitely open. I did not want to drop the tank because I would have to cut the pvc plumbing. After thinking about it for a while I thought I remembered seeing something at my local home center that would do the trick. I found mechanical test plugs in several sizes and bought them. I was just barely able to maneuver them into the holes and tighten them but I think they will do the trick. If not I will be taking this in under warranty or removing the tank myself. While I had the coroplast off I did check the other gray tank and both black tanks and did not find any other open holes.

I just wanted to share in case any others have this problem.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 28

Lynn1130

I would guess that it might be best to let the dealer correct this under warranty. If you try to fix it and it goes wrong, or comes back later you have no recourse with warranty later.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how the Edge is plumbed, but you may have plugged a hole that may be where a vent should be.
When it was plumbed they may have used an alternative venting system but I would certainly want to verify that.
Check with your dealer or Heartland Customer Service. 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

Skywrench

Full Timer
I thought of that but none of the other tanks are vented that way. Why would they vent a tank inside the underbelly. It would be a good way to let sewer gas enter the coach.

sengli

I think he means that one of the vent pipes that go thru the roof might be missing, and should have been plumbed in one of those open holes?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think he means that one of the vent pipes that go thru the roof might be missing, and should have been plumbed in one of those open holes?

In otherwords . . . somebody on the assembly line was taking a nap . . .

wdk450

I noticed that when my front gray tank got full I would get water leaking from the underbelly in my new Edge 397. When I removed the coroplast for an insulation project I inspected everything and did not see anything obvious. Since the leak only occurred when the tank was full, I tried to feel around above the tank to see if it was cracked or something. I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary so I got an inspection mirror and a bright flashlight. I saw where the PVC plumbing entered the tank. I also saw 2 other places with plastic fittings on top of the tank where plumbing could enter. They were near the center of the tank and hard to get to. The problem is that these were not plugged!! I could barely get my fingers up there to feel but the holes were definitely open. I did not want to drop the tank because I would have to cut the pvc plumbing. After thinking about it for a while I thought I remembered seeing something at my local home center that would do the trick. I found mechanical test plugs in several sizes and bought them. I was just barely able to maneuver them into the holes and tighten them but I think they will do the trick. If not I will be taking this in under warranty or removing the tank myself. While I had the coroplast off I did check the other gray tank and both black tanks and did not find any other open holes.

I just wanted to share in case any others have this problem.

I first saw these at my dad's auto parts store in the 1960's, except they were for the 1 to 3 inch freeze plug holes in an engine block. Just sayin' that an auto parts store nearby might have these rubber expansion plugs too, although they have a hex nut instead of a wing nut.