Greased Wheel Bearings....The Illinois Rally Saga Continues

azdryheat

I've found on many forums that folks mistake Buddy Bearings for EZ-Lube. I've got Buddy's on my boat trailer and only give it a shot or two of grease in order to increase the internal pressure to keep out water. The EZ-Lube on my fiver I have to give enough pumps to get the grease flowing back out the spindle towards me. If I want to completely change the grease I keep pumping until the new grease appears. While doing this I keep the wheel turning and I only use a hand operated grease gun because too much pressure will blow grease past the inner seal. I believe it's a very good system if done correctly.

TeJay

I can not disagree with you because I have never tried the EZ-Lube. I only know that I have read here and other forums that some have had problems with the system. Some of their problems may be attributed to improper methods. The bearings may have been improperly lubricated from the factory, delivery drivers, or the dealer before it is delivered. Several have reported that they drove their rigs for X amount of time/miles, never lubed the bearings and either from just an inspection or because of poor trailer brakes did an inspection and discovered 1-4 greased hubs and linings.

Here's are my concerns with the use of the EZ-Lube system when compared to regular packing using synthetic grease and proper bearing adjustment. If one can pack and adjust the bearings then do it again in 20,000 to 30,000 miles why not?? I will never accept or believe that trailer bearings need 12 month or 12,000 mile service. We did not do it with cars and trucks why with trailers??? How are they different??? The size of the two bearings determine the load that they will carry. Those bearings should be of sufficient size to handle the load. If they will do it for 12,000 miles then they will do it for 30,000 miles. If they won't last 12,000 miles then the bearings are to small. Packing them every year won't make them last longer. If a bearing gets to hot then the temper of the steel is lost and the bearing will fail.

My next concern with the EZ-Lube system and recommending annual bearing service is simply this. Every time you perform service you (or your service provider) open yourself up to making a mistake.
Why take the chance?? I also don't like the thinner bearing lube that is used. It has to be thinner because regular good grease won't pass through the small hole in the axle to reach the inner bearing. When installing the grease all it takes is one small obstruction and the pressure will build and maybe cause a leak in the seal. Thinner grease will also leak out easier and it is not synthetic.

azdryheat ...... If you have had good luck with the system that's great. I have also heard from others that have as well. You know what you are doing and are following the directions.

TeJay