Great deal on a 2011 BH3670RL – Need a truck now

My wife and I just moved up from a 35’ TT that we pulled with a 2008 Toyota Tundra (5.7L) and now are the proud owners of a beautiful 2011 BH3670 RL. We planned to buy a Heartland 5th wheel in a few years – but came across a deal to good to pass up (thanks to the team at Dick Gore's RV in Richmond Hill, GA). We bought it, but now need a truck to pull it. My preference is a diesel and it needs to be a 4X4 because my son and I enjoy a lot of out-of-the-way hunting and fishing spots. For maneuverability in the woods, I would rather not buy a dually or a long bed truck. I also would prefer to buy a used truck at least two to three years old. Please pass on your recommendations, preferences and any trucks that I should stay away from. Thanks – George

jimtoo

Hi George,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get lots of recommendations for tow vehicles. I think it is mostly what you prefer to drive, but at least a 3/4 ton, and you should not need a long bed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, with a BH3670, you can expect a loaded pin weight of at least 2950 lbs. and a towing weight of 14500 lbs. That's with empty tanks, a washer/dryer in the closet, a full compliment of clothing, bedding, kitchen ware, and no generator. Anything you toss into the bed of the truck will have to be considered, as well. There are a number of folks on these forums that pull a 3670 or larger/heavier, with a 250/2500 series truck. Personally, I prefer my 3500HD with the long bed and duallies.

rick_debbie_gallant

We pulled our 3650 with a 2500 Ram with zero problems. We are now pulling witha
3500 Ram dully, mainly cause DW feels more at ease with the extra set of wheels under the rear. We are getting about 11.5 and 12.5 mpg with it. Good luck with your truck hunting and you will love the 3670.

caissiel

If you are looking for a used truck. the Fords are the only ones that can tow your trailer at 23500 Lbs GCVW. Also the Fords have much heavier bodies that for me is a good balance of TV to trailer weight. My F250 has over 10K on it while my 5th wheel is rated for 15500 Lbs and 2500 Lbs on the truck for 13K on the axles.
The F350 is possibly the best choice if you are looking for SRW to tow your unit. I feel the BC is the top trailer I would pull with my F250. Though I can make it up hills much better then the Ram with a BH in tow and programed I feel you will be good with any 2005 and up Ford F350 SRW. But the GM's have much better rear springs to carry the pin weight. I had to add a leaf on the rear of my truck to stabilize it and the F350 has just 300 lbs additional spring capacity.
The 2005/2007 diesels do have their problems but they are easy fixes and the 2008/2010 have the PDF to worry about. I love my combination and the BC has been a dream to tow, much better then any previous unit I have towed.
Get on the 3 major makes Forums as you are on this one and do some research, and choose a well maintain used diesel and you will be great.
PS the F350 SRW is a great looking 4 x 4 and will be great offroad.

boatdoc

We pull our 3670 with a 08' Dodge 3500 dually. Runs and pulls like a champ. Our previous tow rigs were both Fords, an 04' and 06', both with the oh no engine. Loved the trucks, hated the engine. We now go down the road w/o a worry from the inline six.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess if you're looking for opinions, mine would be nothing less than a 1 ton SRW. My preference would be a dually.

Steadfast

Congratulations on the new rig. We bought the same rig a few months ago, also with a great deal. You will get lots of opinions here, but for what it is worth, we tow with a new 2011 GMC 2500 HD Duramax. The only mod we did was to add airlift air bags. As you may know, the 2011s are beefier than in previous years and rated at more weight. Our truck has the extended cab with the standard bed. It is very stable and has lots of power. It is even short enough to fit into our garage. If going used, however, you might go up to the 3500.
Craig

mikeandconnie

I tow a heavier 5er with a 2011 3500 shortbed 4x4 SRW Duramax , After weighing loaded with a full tank of fuel, I'm within all limits of my truck. No bags needed,it's very smooth loaded, breaks and tows great. I get no liver pain empty or loaded with this truck, I normal drive 12 hours a day and have 9000 towing miles with this truck. So far I'm happy.

I need to add: my 5er rides 1/2 high and I have 7 inch clearance above my bed, However, you need to check this with the higher beds on the all new trucks.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since the OP is looking at buying an older used truck, the improved weight capacities of newer 2500/3500 trucks may not mean much for him. He needs to be aware of the ratings for the MY truck he is interested in buying. Trailer Life used to have listings with that information, but I haven't looked lately.

Thanks Jim. Michele and I are excited about our new BH and to be members of this great forum. Thanks for your leadership in moderating this and for your warm welcome.

Cheers - George

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
A dually is not necessary, Its just like the brand of truck its personal preference. For what you want with the hunting and fishing you definatly dont want a dually. A 1 ton truck would be better but a 3/4 ton will work. What brand of truck? Well thats a story to long to talk about here. but you will get plenty of comments. Buy the one YOU like.

Westwind

I agree with "buy the brand you like", but the best advise I every got was from the salesman that sold me my first TT, it was " buy the biggest truck because everyone always upgrades to a bigger trailer", didn't listen and I was sorry a 1/2 ton truck isn't the best tow vehicle. I say go with a 1 Ton, you won't be sorry.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
For that trailer absolutely get a 1 ton. If your going to go off road with the 4x4 don't get a DRW. I also suggest you try to get a full length bed. It gives you more room. I put a 45gal Aux Tank and still have plenty of room. I also like the B&W Turnoverball Hitch with the Companion 5th wheel.

FWIW
BC

Thanks for all of your feedback. This forum, and the members of the Heartland OG, are proving to be worth the membership fee in just my first 48 hours of being an owner and member. I just wanted to jump in and say thanks as I haven't responded individually to each of you who have contributed. Your suggestions have helped me narrow my search and most importantly I have a good idea of what to stay away from.

Cheers - George