New Truck (Almost) Now Need a New Hitch

BigGuy82

Greengas,

thanks for the explanation. I saw an answer to that torquing in that Andersen said it was normal and the concerned person put a 2 by 10 on either side laid in the bed that stopped it.

For me, I have rails installed for my now old (10 years) Curt....so not a concern.

It is arriving tomorrow.

I have never seen any official notice from HL that the Andersen hitch is approved but when in Elkhart this summer getting my frame fixed the guy next to me, in for the same problem, had an Anderson. The worker moving his rig into the shop mentioned to his boss "we need to build an adaptor since so many customers are changing to Andersen". Figured that if they would still fix that guys frame it must not be a big deal to them.

I installed my own rails so I am curious if the Andersen will fit OK. Should be fine......but one never knows.

I'm not trying to be a smart ***** here, but I've got to ask: if there is ANY chance of causing serious damage, why would you use that particular item, especially with all of the other top quality hardware out there?

Gaffer

Let me start by saying that the Anderson Hitch is still up at the top of my list. I have not heard anything that would dissuade me buying it. So, at the RV show yesterday, at a hitch dealer, I got into a conversation about the Anderson hitch with some owners. Two of them were shopping for a new hitch because the Anderson hitch turned and in their words "torqued" in the bed of the truck causing them to have to make an emergency stop. Now, my thought is that if the hitch turned in the bed of the truck it was because they did not torque down the bolts holding it place enough. In all my research I had never heard of that happening. The other comments were about the pressure it puts on the bed of the truck which was fine but got me to thinking about my 2017 F350 which does not have a steel bed. Again, don't see it as a stopper but it did make me realize that I have been locked onto buying the Anderson hitch since I saw it at our fall rally and found out that Heartland has ok'd it for not causing a violation of the frame warranty. So, I started thinking, before I buy this hitch maybe I should at least look at what is available for the Ford puck system. I would hate to buy the hitch and then find out there was something that I would have liked even better. Right now I am basically looking at either the B&W or the Anderson.

I understand your possible frustration with those who talk bad about something without any first hand knowledge and that was not my intent. Sorry if I did not make that clear but I hope with my rambling response it is now at least clear as mud. :eek:
Take a good look at the Pullrite version of the Anderson. I think it is a much better design.

Garypowell

I don't think I am taking a big chance with the Andersen hitch. Now if I was the first guy to use one I would understand your concern.

It has been out for enough time for something to happen....but with only one person having a problem and on the other hand every forum I have visited nothing but rave reviews.....just not a gamble in my thinking.

That's why I asked greengas....still looking to hear of any problems. I have not thrown out my Curt and have one trip in February to prove to myself it is a good fit.

And then there is the weight factor.....and my age factor......and my bad back factor.

You add that all up and it is an easy decision.

Rollin_Free

As far as I'm concerned I'll never use any hitch but the Andersen Ultimate 2. I've been using it for over 2 years without any issues. The centering with the 5th wheel leveling boards guy you mentioned is me. I actually started using them to make sure the hitch was square and centered in the bed which I know is OCD but I do it anyway. I originally took the planks out after I finish torquing the hitch bolts but realized they actually help easily monitor the hitch status, also keep the generator centered in the front of the bed, and I have to have them somewhere with me so why not take advantage of them. I always use a torque wrench and recheck as part of my departure morning checklist. Very high quality product that meets or exceeds expectations.

The warranty they have is exceptional and is noteworthy. We all need to decide what will work best for each of us but I'm confident you will be pleased with the 35#, 4500lb hitch, 24,000 lb tow features that the Andersen Ultimate offers.

Enjoy the search and using your new hitch.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 35

DirtyMax88

Well, my new truck, 2017 F350 LB FX4 SRW Lariet, should be here in about a week or so. But, this post is not about the truck but about needing a new hitch. I have always used Pull Rite sliders and they have worked great. But they are very heavy and since my new truck is a long bed I don't need the slider anymore. So, I'm in the market for a new hitch. Should be 18K minimum, somewhat light weight, and use the Ford puck system. I was sold on the Anderson hitch but spoke to several people at the RV show today and they had some problems with it. Now I know, that is just a few and its possible they did not install it right. But it got me to thinking that I should look at the full range of what's available that fits my needs. So, I looked at BW. They look very solid, they use the pucks, the price is a bit higher than the Anderson but not too much. My biggest concern is will I be able to reach the release handle from outside of the truck. It does not seem to extend as far as others. Curt and Reese both made hitches that fit the pucks and again, they seem solid. I know there are many other makes and models but it seems that most don't work with the pucks or they require a frame adapter to work with them and I would really like to avoid that if possible. And finally, there is always the "Ford" hitch which from what I understand is actually just a rebranded Reese hitch.

So, I am asking for some guidance based on experience. If you were in my position (please not comments about not buying a Ford from your bowtie and Dodge folks :eek:) what would you buy and why? I've got about a week or so to make this decision and get it done.

Thanks in advance, as always.

We have the PullRite ISR Super 5th 24k, had it for 2 years now, with no problems. Very easy to hook up and unhook. I would assume the jaw/latch mechanism is similar to your Slider such that you just back into it, the jaw wraps around the king pin (not 2 jaws that come around on each side like others) and it locks, and your done. Now I don't know if it will work with the "puck system." I was sold on the B&W Companion, but when I saw the simplicity of the PullRite ISR and it was also made in the US, we decided to go with it. Just my 2 cents...

BigGuy82

Well, my new truck, 2017 F350 LB FX4 SRW Lariet, should be here in about a week or so. But, this post is not about the truck but about needing a new hitch. I have always used Pull Rite sliders and they have worked great. But they are very heavy and since my new truck is a long bed I don't need the slider anymore. So, I'm in the market for a new hitch. Should be 18K minimum, somewhat light weight, and use the Ford puck system. I was sold on the Anderson hitch but spoke to several people at the RV show today and they had some problems with it. Now I know, that is just a few and its possible they did not install it right. But it got me to thinking that I should look at the full range of what's available that fits my needs. So, I looked at BW. They look very solid, they use the pucks, the price is a bit higher than the Anderson but not too much. My biggest concern is will I be able to reach the release handle from outside of the truck. It does not seem to extend as far as others. Curt and Reese both made hitches that fit the pucks and again, they seem solid. I know there are many other makes and models but it seems that most don't work with the pucks or they require a frame adapter to work with them and I would really like to avoid that if possible. And finally, there is always the "Ford" hitch which from what I understand is actually just a rebranded Reese hitch.

So, I am asking for some guidance based on experience. If you were in my position (please not comments about not buying a Ford from your bowtie and Dodge folks :eek:) what would you buy and why? I've got about a week or so to make this decision and get it done.

Thanks in advance, as always.

First, I will comment on your truck purchase. Excellent choice! Good luck.

I have a 2016 F350 long bed with the pucks. I use a Reese Elite hitch because it fits right into the pucks without additional hardware, when you remove the head fom the base it's not very heavy when taking it out of the truck and it looks good (I know, who cares but why not?) I've got 6,000 miles on it with probably 50 or so hook-ups. Works like a charm, absolutely no problems. The hitch base can be locked to the bed, the head can be locked to the base and a lock can replace the safety pin, making life much harder for thieves. I just installed a Flex Air pin box and the ride is incredible. I also have Air Lifts.

I'm 6' tall and reaching the release handle is no problem at all. However, reaching the locking pin is another story. If you ordered that sweet new ride with the floorboards that go back to the wheels, no problem. If not, try this:

ALL647596_5_tn.jpg

Slips over the rear (or front so you can get at the windshield and engine) tire, folds flat and is only $39 at eTrailer. Solid, slip free, easy to use.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Alan_B

My new truck will also have the extended running boards so I'm hoping that gives me the reach I need. are you using the B&W turnover hitch, rails or puck?

I have basiclaly the same truck, 2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L Crew Cab short box, with the B&W hitch. My truck has the extended running boards, and I have no trouble reaching the hitch release handle.

Rollin_Free

I have a long bed (8') and use the Andersen ultimate with the pin release located behind the pin box. Don't need to crawl in the box for anything other than disconnecting chains. I also modified the chains to have hooks on both ends which allows easy removal for covered storage.

I'm not sure if it matters but I believe others have said the Andersen Ultimate will sit right on the factory in-bed gooseneck ball as well as the aftermarket ones like B&W etc.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: