Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores AL

Dave49

This post is to make people aware of the new procedures that Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores AL has implemented for the year 2014 for the winter monthly rates. It is a huge change and to me a out of line to some extent.

Now here is the old way of reservation. Pay $35.00 and you could reserve for the winter the following year from Nov. 1st thru April 1st and that was all that was required. I actually thought that was pretty cheap for a reservation but it's been that way for the last 4 yrs. I been coming here. Once in the park you paid a month ahead. So on the first of the month you paid for that month. Another bit of info here is that this park is always full in the winter months and has a waiting list to get in.

New procedure is $200.00 deposit for year 2014 Nov. 1st thru April 1st. Deposit refundable up to Sept. 1st 2014. After that it's on an individual basis if there is to be a refund or credit. By Oct 1st you have to pay the balance of the first months rent of Nov. which is your deposit plus at least $325.00. Then when you arrive on Nov. 1st you have to pay for the month of Dec. of at least $525.00 or more depending on your location in the park. So if you add that all up you have at last $1050.00 tied up for a 60 day stay. I for one can't come to grips with having to pay 60 days in advance for a campground site.

I'm curious what kind of response I will get from this as I might be wrong in my thinking. I do really like the place. It has huge sites, full hookups, and paved slabs. The rate has been increased about $50.00 per month which I don't see out of line, but that 60 days has a grip on me.

Dave

That's very interesting.
We stay at Island Retreat RV Park on Fort Morgan Road.
Gulf State Park is a beautiful park.
We have friends at Island Retreat that stayed a few years at Gulf, then came over to Island Retreat and like it better.
We are closer to things here than Gulf is.
I believe it is $482.00 a month here now.
We are Grandfathered this year at $447.00 but next year pay the increase to $482.00.
We love Gulf Shores, AL.
Have been thinking of heading West for the Winter of 2015.
Maybe Texas and Arizona, but really not sure if we want to go.
Never been there and any advice would be appreciated.
We have friends at Island Retreat that had been in Texas a few years and came to Gulf Shores and like it better.
We really don't know what to do.
I hate to lose my site and have to get back on a waiting list.

Hockster

Speedy

If the park is full from November to April they really should have a max stay policy of say 14 to 21 days so others can get it. As far as paying for 60 days in advance is because the park is so popular.

vangoes

If the park is full from November to April they really should have a max stay policy of say 14 to 21 days so others can get it. As far as paying for 60 days in advance is because the park is so popular.

John, they keep a certain number of sites available for short term (14 or less days) stay throughout the winter. With the exception of during Mardi Gras, there is generally always sites available for short term.