Hammering when faucets (any) is turned on.

fdajnowicz

Since buying my 2013 North Trail 22FBS, I have had noise (hammering) when you turn on any faucet. Yesterday I cut an old thick mouse pad and put it under the water pump. This stopped some of the noise. I put some pipe insulation on the water feed lines under the kitchen sink. It seemed to help for a short time and now the hammering seems to be coming from behind the shower. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Frank

sengli

That is what I was experincing too with our new unit. The factory pump was bad, and needed replaced. I tried everything to quiet it down. Now I have a surflo pump in where the factoru artis unit was, it all quiet all the time.

mobilcastle

You might have an air leak. Should not be that noisy. Try connecting a hose to the output side and run it to see if it is quiet before you replace it.Good luck

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Frank, it's a real pain but everywhere the pex piping is touching a wall or another pex line and even a pass through hole, the pex needs to be insulated or isolated.
Another trick is to add a flexible line to both the input and output of the water pump. Something Like THIS with the correct size fittings on each end. It serves tio isolate the vibrations from the pump. There are pumps available that aren't as "noisy" for a higher price but it still helps to isolate the pump from the pex lines.

evolvingpowercat

If you are trying to get to where it does not wake up someone sleeping when someone else uses water and the pump comes on when dry camping, forget it. Can't be done the way that the Heartland and pretty much all other smaller travel trailers are designed. Sorry its the brutal truth.

The only thing I have found that helps is 2 things:

There is a pressure adjustment screw on the Shurflo pump give it a few turns and increase the water pressure the pump shuts off at.
Add a Shurflo accumulator tank to the cold side. I found plenty of room to add one in the cold side by the hot water heater.

With the accumulator tank you can get some water use ( a flush and some hand washing water at best ) before the pump comes on and rebuilds the pressure.

For example here is the one I used that camping world sells:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-accumulator-tank/2290

Last edited:

Aspenwind

Happy Camper
I just installed an accumulator tank in our 2014 22FBS for the same reason.

Any air in the lines at all (like not purging the outside shower) and the lines behind the shower would make it sound like a boulder in a washing machine.

After the accumulator was installed (took maybe 5 min) it's just a small vibration from the pump that could easily be slept through. I just left the water pump mounted where it is and installed the accumulator directly to the output of the pump. I had to route the furnace duct over the accumulator but there is plenty of room in that compartment.

fdajnowicz

The pump is located in the sink base cabinet right next to the door. It is where a third drawer would go if they didn't put the pump there.

I'm going to look into an accumulator, I think that would solve the hammer issue.

Frank