Hardly any cold air through any of the ceiling vents in my Prowler

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I get hardly any cold air through any of the ceiling vents in my Prowler...

jbeletti

Hi John,

What if anything have you done thus far to troubleshoot this?

I'm guessing you have the chill-grate below your AC?

What'd I'd check:
  • When you open the chill-grate, does super cold air blow out from it? If not, you likely have an issue with the AC unit (compressor etc.). Stop at this step and call a Dometic or Coleman (depending on what you have) certified tech
  • Remove chill-grate completely to expose bottom of AC unit. Look for a sheet metal piece near the center that divides the return air from the output air. Make sure it is firmly in place. Use foil-tape to seal it if needed
  • While exposed, look at and feel inside the plenum in the ceiling. If needed, smooth out transitions with foil-tape if needed
  • If your return air for the ACs have grilles with filters, remove and clean them
  • Do the same for your output grilles
  • Remove the rooftop cover from your AC unit and any foam material and inspect for any blockages

JohnD

When I open the vent on the bottom of the AC it blasts cold air into the kitchen and living room.

But when I close that vent, then hardly any cold air makes it out of the eight ceiling vents throughout the trailer.

Pulling the Prowler out of storage tomorrow as we are going on a short trip to Sedona on Monday, so will check things out.

jbeletti

John - sounds like your AC is actually working well, producing chilled air. Now you just need to get that chilled air out of the ducts. I'd still suggest you go through my list to start your process. Continue to post your tests and findings here in your thread for it and we'll all do our best to assist.

CarterKraft

Good answer!

Of all the mods that we think are important that really is the only one I think should have been done at the factory. Night and day difference from before and after. I have been camping for 4 years in Texas summers with one 15K a/c unit in a medium 5th wheel size trailer, that wasn't going to be possible prior to the TimK mod.

JohnD

What is this TimK mod of which you speak :confused:

And yes...the 13.5K AC unit just isn't enough to cool my 33-foot 5'ver...even before I moved to the hottest city in the US of A!

Bogie

John,

While my Sundance had air flow at all the vents, the volume at the bedroom vents was very low. I pulled down the interior trim for the bedroom roof vent and discovered that the AC ducts on both sides were open (probably prep for front AC) and leaking into the ceiling cavity. I sealed these and it helped. I also found that the AC itself was not well sealed in and around where the AC met the ducts. I sealed around there too and it also helped. But, the biggest difference was the TimK sheet metal mod. That helped quiet a bit. Give it a try.

Kbvols

When I had my Greystone I did the Timk tent mod it made a huge difference. I also used some foam board and cut to fit inside of vents and blocked those in the living area of the coach . That created a dedicated flow to the bedroom and bathroom and made a huge difference in those areas with minimal effect to the cabin area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Anyone have any photos of the TimK mod?

I saw the ones on the PDF file that Dan posted to, but they don't show it very well or after the install was done (unless my eyes are worse than I thunked :eek: ).

I'm headed over to the storage lot in a few minutes to grab the Prowler so we can get ready to roll on Monday for a short trip up north (Sedona).

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I get hardly any cold air through any of the ceiling vents in my Prowler...

John, I am not sure which system you have on your rig but it sounds like you have the in-ceiling vents which would connect both ac's if you had two? If that is the case you need to block the ducting right after the last two vents on either end. It will help a bunch and you will not bee cooling your closet or the ceiling above your rear cabinets. I used a chunk of foam on mine and just crammed it into the space.

CarterKraft

I used some flashing I had but it is really too thin. I need to do a do-over with some thicker sheet metal 22ga maybe?

I don't have a picture that shows it but on the end of the tent "wings" I bent those down 90* and secured the ends to the interior of the A/C box frame with two screws on each side.

Attachments

• 20160601_184309.jpg
    20160601_184309.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20160601_184312.jpg
    20160601_184312.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20160609_191756.jpg
    20160609_191756.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 85

3ares

We have a 2012 Sundance 275RE, the A/C vent covers in the ceiling rotate and have three catches holding them against the ceiling. I’m looking for a way to release the 3 catches so I can remove the vent cover. Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks,
Bob