Has anyone converted from Residential Fridge to LP?

cgroll

Just purchased a 2020 Bighorn Traveler 32RS which has the residential fridge. Very hard to find fifth wheels anymore with a LP/Elec fridge. Has anyone done a conversion from Residential fridge to a LP/Elec fridge? We do a good bit of boon docking and it would be nice to not have to run generator so much. I am looking at installing solar panels with battle born batteries and keep my two Honda 2000 in parallel generators for recharging when needed but I would love to be able to run totally off grid when not running A/C units.

wdk450

Have you priced RV propane/ AC electric refrigerator/freezers? You are talking a couple of thousand dollars on the low cost side, besides doing all of the carpentry, gas plumbing, 110 VAC circuit wiring, and also 12 volt DC wiring.

You might want to check out this webpage about a newer RV refrigeration alternative using a LOW POWER (i.e. low 12 volt battery draw) 12 VOLT DC HIGH EFFICIENCY COMPRESSOR AND FREON COOLING UNIT for existing RV refrigerators. There are some links to the suppliers involved in the webpages:

FL-JOE

We have the large 3-door LG residential frig and two 12-volt house batteries. I'm not sure how long the frig would run before those two batteries would drop below 50% but I'm guessing close to 24 hours. Since you are upgrading and adding some solar you might find your residential frig will be fine. This is the second RV we have had with a non-RV frig and I never want to go back.

david-steph2018

Here is a place in Shipshewanna, Ind. that does these conversion type of work.
For the cost of the fridge, you may be better to put the dollars into the solar system, just my thoughts.

We are getting ready to add a whole rig solar system this coming September, so we can start getting into some boondocking times.

LBR

Just purchased a 2020 Bighorn Traveler 32RS which has the residential fridge. Very hard to find fifth wheels anymore with a LP/Elec fridge. Has anyone done a conversion from Residential fridge to a LP/Elec fridge? We do a good bit of boon docking and it would be nice to not have to run generator so much. I am looking at installing solar panels with battle born batteries and keep my two Honda 2000 in parallel generators for recharging when needed but I would love to be able to run totally off grid when not running A/C units.
When we factory ordered our CY, the residential refrigerator was a no-cost upgrade...IMO, because it costs less for the factory to install a resi than the 2-way RV frig.

We boondock 8-10 months every year and had to run our generators twice a day to charge batteries during all months of the year. Yes, the resi is your major 12V consumer....by far!

After I installed our new batteries, house inverter, and solar system...our generators don't get the love that they need to keep fresh gas to them...lol. The CY's 5.5K goes thru it's 20 gallon tank once a year, and our 3.3K in truck is the main workhorse when an AC is needed for the pets (90+° temps).

We boondock in SoCal, Az....Nov, Dec, Jan months we DO need to supplement with the 3.3K because sun is at such a low angle that panels can't capture enough to be genny-free...the other 9 months/yr our gennys starve for fuel.

Do your research, and keep track of your own needs and demands for solar and battery requirements, then install. If you're a boondocker, you NEED to have the proper infrastructure to support your demands. If you're going to attach an umbilical cord to a pedestal like 90% here do, don't bother with solar nor batteries.

IMO, if you delete your resi for a 2-way frig, you will be sorry. Most of our off-roading families with their 40'+ SOBs can't stand their 2-ways and would rather have a resi in their trailers, (mostly Momentums).

FL-JOE

I agree with above, but everyone’s need will vary.

As far as gas aging out and OEM generator use I have a regular maintenance schedule. I might keep 30 gallons in my toy tank and only 5 gallons in my generator tank. If I haven’t used the gen for a couple weeks I’ll run it with a load at least every month. Even though I use additives in both tanks I’ll rotate all the gas out every couple months by burning it in my Harley. Old gas and generators don’t mix.

LBR

I agree with above, but everyone’s need will vary.

As far as gas aging out and OEM generator use I have a regular maintenance schedule. I might keep 30 gallons in my toy tank and only 5 gallons in my generator tank. If I haven’t used the gen for a couple weeks I’ll run it with a load at least every month. Even though I use additives in both tanks I’ll rotate all the gas out every couple months by burning it in my Harley. Old gas and generators don’t mix.
Exactly. In my calendar, once a month is my reminder to run the 5.5 for an hour under load....If we had run it shortly before, or expect to shortly after, then it's ignored.

08313aec88042a190b453f1685e41792.jpg

cgroll

When we factory ordered our CY, the residential refrigerator was a no-cost upgrade...IMO, because it costs less for the factory to install a resi than the 2-way RV frig.

We boondock 8-10 months every year and had to run our generators twice a day to charge batteries during all months of the year. Yes, the resi is your major 12V consumer....by far!

After I installed our new batteries, house inverter, and solar system...our generators don't get the love that they need to keep fresh gas to them...lol. The CY's 5.5K goes thru it's 20 gallon tank once a year, and our 3.3K in truck is the main workhorse when an AC is needed for the pets (90+° temps).

We boondock in SoCal, Az....Nov, Dec, Jan months we DO need to supplement with the 3.3K because sun is at such a low angle that panels can't capture enough to be genny-free...the other 9 months/yr our gennys starve for fuel.

Do your research, and keep track of your own needs and demands for solar and battery requirements, then install. If you're a boondocker, you NEED to have the proper infrastructure to support your demands. If you're going to attach an umbilical cord to a pedestal like 90% here do, don't bother with solar nor batteries.

IMO, if you delete your resi for a 2-way frig, you will be sorry. Most of our off-roading families with their 40'+ SOBs can't stand their 2-ways and would rather have a resi in their trailers, (mostly Momentums).
Thank you. Sound advice. Up to now always owned a TT with the LP/elec fridge so my mind has been running nuts trying to work through what to do. The wife and I plan to start half timing to get out of the AZ heat in the summers and I prefer not to pay for campgrounds so we are 80% boondocks. I am looking now T the 5.5k Onan Marquis.