No Power to Fridge (Haier) when not on Shore Power

david-steph2018

There is a switch to turn the inverter on/off. Our switch was located next to the stairs going up to the bedroom, on the side of the stove. Our old inverter system needed the inverter to be turned on. But we left it on all the time, because if you were gone for the day and electric went out, your fridge would still have power.

Now just working this thru my brain.
So, since you have power at the transfer switch from the inverter, then the GFCI outlet on the bottom of the inverter is good. Power coming out of the transfer switch, so switch is good. Need to trace wire from transfer switch and see where it goes and check power there. That wire SHOULD go to the fridge outlet, but what is should and does is different things.
Good luck, you will get it figured out, keep plugging away at it. Keep posting the results, maybe something will come up.

Micky-D

So in my 2016 Bighorn 3685 the fridge used to work any time shore power was plugged in. Now yesterday the fridge sopped working while plugged in to 50 amp shore power. Checked breakers, fuses, all good. The plug was secure in the outlet. Looked at the inverter and found the test button out - reset it and turned on the inverter...fridge works now. But once the inverter is off the fridge loses power. Can anyone shed light as to why my fridge won't work anymore while on shore power?

david-steph2018

So in my 2016 Bighorn 3685 the fridge used to work any time shore power was plugged in. Now yesterday the fridge sopped working while plugged in to 50 amp shore power. Checked breakers, fuses, all good. The plug was secure in the outlet. Looked at the inverter and found the test button out - reset it and turned on the inverter...fridge works now. But once the inverter is off the fridge loses power. Can anyone shed light as to why my fridge won't work anymore while on shore power?
Real good chance the transfer switch went bad on you. If you feel comfortable working on 110VAC system you need to check the power into the transfer switch from the 110 VAC side. Then check the power at the outlet for 110VAC from the breaker box. So, you will need to turn the inverter back off so you will not be reading 110VAc from the inverter.
If you have 110VAC coming into the transfer switch and nothing at the outlet, transfer switch is out.
If it is the transfer switch let me know, I think I still have the one that was replaced when I had solar installed.

Micky-D

Thank you David - any chance you know where the transfer switch is located, or have a picture of the electrical board in the trailer garage?

david-steph2018

Thank you David - any chance you know where the transfer switch is located, or have a picture of the electrical board in the trailer garage?
On the bottom of the inverter is an outlet with the GFCI. The plug should be for the transfer switch, it was on our Road Warrior. So, the transfer switch should be close to the inverter/batteries.

wdk450

You can trace the live power out of the inverter by turning off all shorepower, activating the 12 volt powered inverter, and using a non-contact voltage detector (sniffer) to trace the AC wires around the inverter.

On Edit: While noncontact AC voltage testers are great, they do NOT detect an open neutral connection reliably. They are like a broadband radio receiver sniffing for the hot AC wave generated 60 Hz hum.

Last edited:

Micky-D

Thank you David and Bill - you guys were exactly right. I used an electrical detector (sniffer) to track the power. The inverter was getting power in and out of the switch, but shore power was only going in - not out. That's why my fridge would lose power when connected to my house. So I will replace the Transfer switch.tempImagebvl6AB.jpgtempImagebvl6AB.jpg

david-steph2018

Thank you David and Bill - you guys were exactly right. I used an electrical detector (sniffer) to track the power. The inverter was getting power in and out of the switch, but shore power was only going in - not out. That's why my fridge would lose power when connected to my house. So I will replace the Transfer switch.
When our transfer switch went out it was $75 on e-Bay for a new one in August 2019.