Has anyone got a DirectTV sat. system?

jbeletti

Sandy and Lindsey,

Wanted to mention something to you that Mel and Nina (happyrover) did before they the Indiana.

They had RS have a dome satellite dish installed, but not on the roof. they had it all wired into the trailer but their keep the dome portable.

When they arrive at a site, they pull the dome out of the storage compartment, set it out, plug in the wires and hit the button. It seeks, finds, locks in and plays.

I guess Ron Green at RS gave them the idea of not putting it on the roof. This way, no matter where they are with respect to tree cover, so long as they can find a hole in the tree canopy and have enough wire, they set the dish out and let it do its thing.

I realize this is not for everyone and time will tell if it's the best fit for Mel and Nina. Good news is, you can always have it mounted after trying it in a portable fashion.

Not sure how often portable dishes (small ones, domes, satellite Internet ones etc) grow legs. Not very often I hope.

Jim

ct0218

I have Directv and have used a portable dish for about 7 years now. I prefer it because I can move it around obstructions, and can set it up really fast now. Never had a problem except for an occasional child or weird adult moving it after I set it up.

jpmorgan37

I like having the portable dish because quite often, the RV is in the trees but I can move the dish and find a hole that works. I also use a very low profile tripod. You can see it in my Avitar on the ground at the rear of the coach. There have been a few occasions that I put it on top of the coach, but not very often.

John

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey Jim,

We solved the "walking dish" worry by having the dome mounted on the roof like normal, but added a "bird on the wire", to our Hughes Net Internet dish. Looks like nothing more than the LNB end of a regular TV dish which mounts right next to the arm on the Internet dish...works great too!!

When we can't get past the trees for TV we just add one more wire to the Internet system.

jbeletti

kakampers,

I understand the bird-on-a-wire. Still fuzzy on how to see through the trees without a portable. Not an issue for me at this time. Just hashing about the possibilities. Thanks for the insight.

Jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Sorry...I did not mention that our Internet Sat is on a portable Dewalt tripod. That's why we use the bird on a wire...gives us the ability to use the dome or move the "dish" where we need it.

Pulltab

Jim the BOW just offsets the LNB to one side to make up for the oblong dish used for Internet. Sweet setup cause once you got the internet locked on you automatically are locked on for TV.:)

rayw796

Just Ordered It

I am picking up my trailer Monday and moving in. I called the Trailer Life number and ordered Direct TV with two receivers, antenna and tripod for the RV. Didn't seem to have any problems about not having a home receiver. They said there was no installation, they were just shipping everything to me.

Pulltab

Ray, you won't be able to pick up local stations if you travel but you can sign up with Directv to get the standard channels like ABC CBS FOX NBC but it is an extra charge and you will have to fill out a mobile voucher sheet and send in. Otherwise you can use your home receiver and do without some of the channels and no one knows any different.:)

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

I used Direct whiel fulltiming and got very good setting it up in about five minutes. I did find out that it will not work when you get to far north, if I remember right it was in Edmondton Alberta, Canada. You can not point the dish far enough south to pick up the satalites, unless things have changed with the new system that uses two sats.

jrlebaron

We have DirectTv and love it. I ordered thru Trailer Life got 4 receivers 2 dishes and tripod. Maybe takes 10 min to set up. We just purchased a broadband card to connect to the internet as long as you can get a signal you get internet. Even while travelingn in a TV. I've also heard that DTV is easier to set up then Dish. Don't have experience with Dish so can't say for sure. Jim

crazybanshee

Jim Does the broadband card and internet work with the standard dish and receiver? Is there a substantial price for the service? Thanks for the info. Doug

jwb187

I have directv and use a portable dish and bullseye mount. I take one of my receivers from home, I have distant network service with no locals and receive everything on the road that I get at home. Wouldn't leave home without it!!!

ChopperBill

crazybanshee said:
Jim Does the broadband card and internet work with the standard dish and receiver? Is there a substantial price for the service? Thanks for the info. Doug
ME TOO! I wanna know!

vangoes

jwb187
Did you have any problems getting the distant network service? I applied for it and was denied. They said that because I had three receivers and local channels that I was a residential account and would have to open another accont to get the distant network service.

jwb187

If you ever qualify for local channels that ruins forever the chance of qualifing for the distant network service. When I first acquired Directv was when they bought out a service called Prime Star.....we were sort of grandfathered in as we live in a very rural area where reception with an antenna is almost non existant. No local channels have been offered in my area so we get the DNS package instead.....its great as it works all of the country, or wherever I put out my portable dish. jwb

jpmorgan37

Vangoes;
When we switched from our home service with the local channels, we had to jump through hoops to get the Networks when we went fulltiming, but it can be done. It took several phone calls and moving up the ladder to supervisors before we got someone that understood what we were talking about. We ended up having to send the registration for our RV, along with some other forms that they sent us to declare that we were no longer living in a stationary house. After that, we had to wait about a month, and then someone from DirecTv sent a request for my CDL. I wrote back and explained that I wasn't driving an 18 wheeler, I was pulling a fifth wheel trailer, and they turned on my East and West networks. The only thing that I don't have is PBS and it's not available because of my SD address. I still don't know why, but we got everything else that we wanted. Just keep trying. They can do it.

John