Have you ever compared your GVW to what the Department of Motor Vehicles has it listed as

wrgrs50s

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this before? I got my tag renewal in the mail and glanced at the weight ratings they are using to determine the cost of my tags. On the Heartlland website the Sundance 277RL List the estimated weight of my unit dry as 7466 lbs. I realize this is an estimate of weight, however I thought the Gross Vehicle weight was the max when loaded, which is listed on the website as 9900 lbs.

The Texas DMV has my unit weight listed as 7600 lbs empty, which could be correct after the actual build from the factory, but they (the DMV) have listed the carrying capacity on my unit as 4200 lbs with the GVW as 11800 lbs instead of the 9900 lbs as posted on the Heartland website. This is 1900 lbs difference, so I figure I'm paying more for my tags than I should if this is an error on the DMV records.

Not sure what if anything I can do about this, but I dont like the idea of paying more than my fair share to the DMV for my tags !!

Anyone else ever checked this out, or know of anything I'm missing here?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My guess. The axle capacity on your trailer is 5200# each making it 10400 for the axles. The potential pin weight of 20% would be 2080 making the potential gross weight 12480. It's more likely the advertised GVWR is less than it could be. I can't answer why though.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you have the time. Take your trailer to a CAT scale (truck stop) drop your trailer on the scale and get a certified weight. Take the weight ticket to the DMV and then ask the question. Maybe the just lump weights together in certain catagories....10K to 12K for example.

jnbhobe

What does the sticker on the side of the trailer say ?? The state will use the numbers listed on the rig not the estimated weight, I bet it says 11,800 GVW

wrgrs50s

What does the sticker on the side of the trailer say ?? The state will use the numbers listed on the rig not the estimated weight, I bet it says 11,800 GVW

You nailed it. The sticker outside says 11,785 lbs. I guess they just rounded up to the 11800.

When I get a chance I will go to the cat scales as ( Old Cranky ) suggested, just out of curiosity. I just cant imagine it being able to hold 4200 lbs of cargo. It only has 5200 lb axles. Oh well, at least now I know how it was determined at the DMV. Thanks for the reply's

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OH YEA........I will send Patty over to help you shop for stuff and help you find ever nook and cranny to stuff things into. I KNOW that there are at least a hundred bowling ball in the Horn somewhere....just cant find them.

wrgrs50s

Good info Mike ! I bet if I let Old Cranky's wife Patty teach me to shop and stuff things in every nook and cranny I stiil would'nt weigh 11800 lbs., I cant get past the 4200 lbs carry capacity. I seen an advertisement where there was a pickup truck on top of a Sundance to advertise the strength of the roof. I might just have to put me a ramp to my roof and do some car hauling while I camp, since I have so much capacity.... LOL !!!