Having A Hard Time Reaching Your Hitch Locking Pin?

Lynn1130

Don't know but when they asked where I was they transferred me to Tiger with my question.

They other issue that I have always had with climbing over or leaning over the side of the truck is possible damage to paint and metal on the truck. I am more than a little fussy about the looks of my truck and the paint damage and small dents I have seen where people lean in to release the pin always caused me to throw something over the quarter panel to try to avoid that. I don't worry about that now. I am sure that is not always the case but I don't want a "ranch" truck at this stage in my life.

BigGuy82

That's funny because I just got off the phone with "Tiger" at Anderson and he had never heard of using tape on anything and said that that was nothing that they would recommend for ball fitting. He said that if the ball did not fit correctly they need it back to correct it.

And just as an after thought. Over all of the years of working accidents I don't recall a ball hitched trailer coming off of the ball. They usually flipped the tow vehicle when they went over.

I'm not disputing your statement one way or the other. However, why are safety chains required for all ball hitches (including fivers) and not for traditional fiver hitches?

wdk450

The better half got me a HitchMate for Christmas last year and I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Heininger-4040-HitchMate-TireStep/dp/B0002Z9KE0

She got the idea from our HOC chapter leader.

I keep a collapsable windshield squeegee/scrubber in my truck toolbox. I use this turned sideways (rubber blade vertical) to position the trailer emergency brake lanyard loop, and hammer down the drawbar locking clip onto the hitch drawbar. I do the reverse when unhitching.

HornedToad

They other issue that I have always had with climbing over or leaning over the side of the truck...

I don't know how many times I've walked into the office, after dropping the trailer off at storage on the way to work Monday morning, with road grime all over my slacks and shirt!!!

Jv75353

I can reach the hitch locking pin with no problem since I'm 6' 5" tall. The problems that I have are that I have duck to go through the patio door to our garage and my feet hang off the bed. Lol!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maybe we need a quick little apron to throw on when accessing the hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

I keep a towel in my bakbox just for that...had to have my paint guy fix a nice scratch my belt buckle put in once too many times...

As for the step i have the amp ones...pricy yes...and they are aluminum so corrosion isnt an issue....

Sometimes i have to use the amp step to climb up the tires to reach in the back...lol...

Life of a lifted dually....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

BigGuy82

I keep a towel in my bakbox just for that...had to have my paint guy fix a nice scratch my belt buckle put in once too many times...

As for the step i have the amp ones...pricy yes...and they are aluminum so corrosion isnt an issue....

Sometimes i have to use the amp step to climb up the tires to reach in the back...lol...

Life of a lifted dually....

Don't need no special clothes, don't need no towel, don't need to rub my belt buckle on the truck, don't need to worry about slipping off a narrow ladder step. Just put my non-slip step on the tire, reach over without touching the side of the truck, insert the lock (I don't use the PITA pin that is very difficult to unlatch) and I'm on my way. No muss, no fuss, no carrying coveralls, no dressing up AND, if I am of a mind to clean the windshield, I just hang the same step on my front tire. Never a need to cover my tuxedo with anything.:cool:

ALL647596_5_tn.jpg

IronJ

Heck even with that step i doubt my short arms could reach the latch....my old girl has them wiiiiiiide hips......id for sure be laying out like a beach model across the dually fender!! Hahahaj

Rollin_Free

Heck even with that step i doubt my short arms could reach the latch....my old girl has them wiiiiiiide hips......id for sure be laying out like a beach model across the dually fender!! Hahahaj

While I have no issue picturing a dually I'm having a hard time with that beach model picture!! 😁

BigGuy82

Of course, if you want a 100% guarantee of keeping clean, you could send the better half back to do it ...